Author Topic: Spring Training 2013 Advice  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Spring Training 2013 Advice
« Topic Start: December 16, 2012, 08:15:38 PM »
Does anyone been to spring training in the past and have some advice on where stay, which area is safer, and whether it's worthwhile to stay close to Viera or stay on the beach ?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Spring Training 2013 Advice
« Reply #1: December 16, 2012, 08:26:48 PM »
Does anyone been to spring training in the past and have some advice on where stay, which area is safer, and whether it's worthwhile to stay close to Viera or stay on the beach ?

My son and I went a few years ago.   We stayed in Daytona.    We were on the beach and within an hour of the park.   We got good baseball and a wonderful time at the beach  ....  classic cars on the beach and baseball in Viera. 

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2: December 16, 2012, 08:44:55 PM »
Went last year, would love to go again but probably won't.

Anyway: Charlie & Jake's brewery, just a couple miles from the stadium, brews my favorite wheat beer of all time, ever, anywhere. That's important to know, I think.

(We stayed in Kissimmee, so I'm not much use on the area otherwise.)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #3: December 16, 2012, 08:47:40 PM »
Went last year, would love to go again but probably won't.

Anyway: Charlie & Jake's brewery, just a couple miles from the stadium, brews my favorite wheat beer of all time, ever, anywhere. That's important to know, I think.

(We stayed in Kissimmee, so I'm not much use on the area otherwise.)

They should be renamed Charlie and Dave's.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #4: December 16, 2012, 10:05:40 PM »
Look at places in Melbourne.

Offline JMaddyNatty

« Reply #5: December 17, 2012, 08:29:50 AM »
I've gone the last two years with friends from college. We've always stayed in Cocoa Beach and probably will again this year. If you stay on the beach you can count on a 30-45 minute drive to the stadium depending on traffic. We stayed at the Best Western last year and the La Quinta Inn the year before that. They're exactly what you'd expect...a room with beds but not much else. I can't say whether that area is considered safe or not, but we've never had any issues.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #6: December 17, 2012, 08:51:14 AM »
I've gone the last two years with friends from college. We've always stayed in Cocoa Beach and probably will again this year. If you stay on the beach you can count on a 30-45 minute drive to the stadium depending on traffic. We stayed at the Best Western last year and the La Quinta Inn the year before that. They're exactly what you'd expect...a room with beds but not much else. I can't say whether that area is considered safe or not, but we've never had any issues.

If you stay beach-side, stay south of Patrick AFB, Cocoa Beach gets a lot of tourist traffic....oh, wait, you'll be a tourist.

I'm sure we've had some of these discussions before and gotten a lot of good advice out of then, in general, I highly recommend getting down for Spring Training. The beaches are great, good surf, plenty of nice places to eat. Viera is like every large new development you've ever been to, all the chain resturants you can think of from McDonalds up through Longhorn Steakhouse to World of Beers.

Access to the players is amazing. Just bring plenty of sunscreen and remember that Florida can get a bit chilly in February and March

Offline OldNatsFan

« Reply #7: December 18, 2012, 10:37:07 AM »
I usually stay at Cocoa Beach near the pier at Best Western or Days Inn, never had any problems.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #8: December 18, 2012, 10:00:50 PM »
I've gone every year but last Spring and have always stayed in Cocoa Beach. Viera has been developed in recent years, but it is more of a new residential community than a tourist location. You may run into players eating out at the Steakhouse there after games, and some of the media stay in the La Quinta and other motels nearby. But you don't need to stay there because of that. The overall area including Cocoa and Melbourne only have so much to offer, so unless you want to avoid driving altogether, I would make your base where you think you would most like to vacation. That could be Cocoa Beach if you like the Ocean, or some place along one of the rivers or even Melbourne depending on your taste.

Staying at Cocoa allows for easy access to the beach, an easy 30 min or less drive to Viera for games, and places like Cocoa village in between. There's also Cape Canaveral right up the strip from Cocoa Beach.

It's important to remember that there are only so many home games in a week and only so many other things to do, so you want to make the most of it. And one rainout can really limit the action if you don't plan to take in other stuff. I do highly recommend setting aside at least one day to get to Space Coast Stadium early enough on game day to take in the BP and the minor league camp. The games are fun, but the minor league camp allows you to immerse yourself in the action with four fields all around you.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #9: December 19, 2012, 09:30:20 AM »
I think Hammonds and I are trying to go this year.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #10: December 19, 2012, 06:00:23 PM »

My wife and I signed up for 2 games and the hotel thru the tour...

http://sportsmarketingusa.com/washington-nationals/#package_description

...and have tickets to the Nats / Barves game later that week at Disney as well.

My last spring training experience was about 45 years ago...White Sox in Sarasota.  I was 15-ish and didn't fully appreciate it as I should have...

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #11: December 19, 2012, 09:45:36 PM »

i've heard good things about Ron Jons in cocoa beach.  We've only stayed in the area a few times for cruises out of port canaveral and stayed at places near the port.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #12: December 20, 2012, 10:08:30 AM »
Isn't that a surf shop?
i've heard good things about Ron Jons in cocoa beach.  We've only stayed in the area a few times for cruises out of port canaveral and stayed at places near the port.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #13: December 20, 2012, 10:18:12 AM »
I guess February/March is pretty good time of year to dive with the manatees in Crystal River if one needs a diversion. 

Offline Rocket

« Reply #14: December 20, 2012, 10:34:51 AM »
Isn't that a surf shop?

Yes it is,  but Ron Jon's also has a resort at the port next to Jetty Park. About a 25-30 min drive to the stadium. There are a few other places to stay in the port area including a Residence Inn and a Country Inn & Suites. A number of good restaurants with outdoor decks and nightlife at the port also. Good place to view a launch from the Cape. There are a couple of launches scheduled in March, check Spaceflight Now for launch schedule updates.
If you're really ambitious you could take a weekend cruise from the port on either end of your trip.

Offline heeman82

« Reply #15: December 20, 2012, 07:15:34 PM »
I'll be there.  Cold ones are on me, gents

« Reply #16: December 22, 2012, 12:34:50 PM »
I stay with my in-laws in Lakeland Fl.  I go to to the Nats camp for one or two days and I go to around 3 or 4 other camps. 

« Reply #17: December 25, 2012, 04:55:17 PM »
You want a strip club, then go to Cheaters Gentleman's Club in Cocoa. Decently priced, cheap lap dances and the chicks are pretty fine since most are college students around the area.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #18: December 25, 2012, 06:02:37 PM »
Couple of pretty good restaurants down in Melbourne. The Mansion on Strawbridge Avenue just east of US-1 is terrific and has an extensive beer list. It's new within the past year or so and is well worth a visit. Meg O'Malley's on New Haven Avenue is a good Irish pub.

We are in Viera now visiting relatives and they were speaking very highly of an Italian place just up the street in Rockledge near Lowe's, place called Baci. They said the pizza is very good. They were also talking about another place with a good fried meatball appetizer but I forget the name.

There is no reason to stay right near Viera unless, like us, you have family here (we could walk to the ballpark if it were baseball season). There's really not much to do here other than going to the movies. Stay in Melbourne or Cocoa Beach. Use US-1 to get back and forth since it's by far the quickest route (very few traffic lights).

New McDonald's just opened across the street here in front of the new Publix near the ballpark. There's also another annoying new traffic light there.

« Reply #19: December 25, 2012, 06:04:27 PM »
Dmitri Young used to make his Spring Training home at the Space Coast RV Resort in Viera. Not a bad place if you have a RV. Under 10 minutes from Space Coast Stadium.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #20: December 25, 2012, 06:44:34 PM »

(we could walk to the ballpark if it were baseball season).

Is it further away in the off season...  :rofl:

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #21: December 28, 2012, 01:43:49 PM »
Sunset over Viera this past Sunday (Space Coast Stadium is out of the picture to the left beyond the new Chase bank):

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #22: December 30, 2012, 12:52:28 PM »
Is it further away in the off season...  :rofl:

There's not much reason to go there if they ain't playing baseball.
I'm over in Indian Harbor Beach for the holidays, plenty of good places to eat beachside, too include Bobaritto's on A1A in Mel Beach (they use a spicy coleslaw and salsa instead of the usual lettuce and tomatoes) and Haru for some awesome Sushi. Brevard County Zoo has a tree top zip line that looks fun as well as a kayak tour of the zoo.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #23: January 29, 2013, 10:22:44 AM »
Is anyone going to spring training the first week of March ?