Author Topic: Stephen Strasburg Has Been Shut Down  (Read 9684 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Stephen Strasburg Has Been Shut Down
« Reply #75: September 08, 2012, 09:06:52 PM »
Is he accepting it? He just said he doesn't know if he'll ever accept it.

And I'm happy to see Strasburg truly is the bulldog he said he was.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #76: September 08, 2012, 09:13:23 PM »
This is so stupid.

But 86 wins is awesome.

Offline PC

« Reply #77: September 08, 2012, 09:22:28 PM »
So, let's do the math.  He would likely have had 4 more starts, max.  Perhaps if we clinch the division, he could have been skipped for his final start.  OK. now assume we make it to the World Series, he'll get another 3 starts, at least, possibly four.  It could be as many as six more starts in the playoffs.

If we add 9 more starts, at six innings per start, that would push his innings count up to 213, for a 24 year old pitcher who's never pitched more than 123 innings.  How is that responsible management?

And if you're not going to let him pitch to the end of the season, whenever that happens, how would his reaction be any different then than it is now?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #78: September 08, 2012, 09:28:41 PM »
By the way, read past the headlines and Strasburg said things like this:

"As of right now, I think they’ve got some world-renowned doctors. One of them, Dr. [Lewis] Yocum, he resurrected my career. I’ve got to listen to him and I’ve got to trust him.”

and this:

"But I want to be here for the long haul, and I want to be a part of this for many years to come.”

So yeah, he wants to compete, but ultimately he's accepting it and there doesn't seem to be any reason to worry about long-term animosity between Stras and the team.  Especially since Boras is all for the shutdown.
Heck, Boras probably told him to play the upset card to the media. Makes the team look like the bad guy and him good. Doubt the team gives two craps what the media thinks about them as long as agents like them.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #79: September 08, 2012, 09:30:11 PM »
So, let's do the math.  He would likely have had 4 more starts, max.  Perhaps if we clinch the division, he could have been skipped for his final start.  OK. now assume we make it to the World Series, he'll get another 3 starts, at least, possibly four.  It could be as many as six more starts in the playoffs.

If we add 9 more starts, at six innings per start, that would push his innings count up to 213, for a 24 year old pitcher who's never pitched more than 123 innings.  How is that responsible management?

And if you're not going to let him pitch to the end of the season, whenever that happens, how would his reaction be any different then than it is now?

they failed a few months ago by not skipping some of his starts to preserve his arm for later on.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #80: September 08, 2012, 09:32:13 PM »
they failed a few months ago by not skipping some of his starts to preserve his arm for later on.
Losing the World Series by one game would suck on so many levels, but knowing you'd spend the whole offseason melting down would be a major silver lining.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #81: September 08, 2012, 09:33:01 PM »
NANF

Offline PC

« Reply #82: September 08, 2012, 09:33:34 PM »

Skipping a few starts would still likely put him in the 190 inning range. Again, his max professional innings was 123 in 2010.

...and he is just 24 and coming of TJ surgery, remember.

He'd have to skip at least six starts to make it work.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #83: September 08, 2012, 09:37:52 PM »
I'm just glad someone finally sacked up and asked Strasburg what he thought of it.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #84: September 08, 2012, 09:43:30 PM »
Losing the World Series by one game would suck on so many levels, but knowing you'd spend the whole offseason melting down would be a major silver lining.

NANF

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #85: September 08, 2012, 09:44:38 PM »
Skipping a few starts would still likely put him in the 190 inning range. Again, his max professional innings was 123 in 2010.

...and he is just 24 and coming of TJ surgery, remember.

He'd have to skip at least six starts to make it work.

They could have skipped 1 start per month which would have been around 4 starts. Considering that Strasburg would have around 4 or 5 starts this season if he kept pitching, he would have around the same amount of IP at the end of the season than he currently has now. That gives him 160-165 IP entering the playoffs. Then you can pitch him 20-30 IP in the playoffs.

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #86: September 08, 2012, 09:50:10 PM »
Second-guessing is for losers.  Win the championship without him, as we all knew we'd have to from the jump.

Offline PC

« Reply #87: September 08, 2012, 09:51:04 PM »
They could have skipped 1 start per month which would have been around 4 starts. Considering that Strasburg would have around 4 or 5 starts this season if he kept pitching, he would have around the same amount of IP at the end of the season than he currently has now. That gives him 160-165 IP entering the playoffs. Then you can pitch him 20-30 IP in the playoffs.

So you push him to around 190 innings anyway, when he's only pitched 123 professional innings max?  Remember, 24 and coming off TJ surgery.  They would have had to skip enough starts to make him be at 170-ish innings for Game 7 of the World Series.  That's a lot of skipped starts.

And what would all of these skipped starts have done to the rest of the rotation?

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #88: September 08, 2012, 09:52:11 PM »
So you push him to around 190 innings anyway, when he's only pitched 123 professional innings max?  Remember. 24 and coming off TJ surgery.  They would have had to skip enough starts to make him be at 170-ish innings for Game 7 of the World Series.  That's a lot of skipped starts.

And what would all of these skipped starts have done to the rest of the rotation?

they didn't need to skip too many. They could have limited his innings at time like during september. They could even pitch him 5 IP in the playoffs then when he comes to bat, replace him. They could have even done the David Price Bullpen for playoffs route

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #89: September 08, 2012, 10:08:48 PM »
All the national media bellyaching about the Nats shutting Strasburg down have it totally backwards.  Nats don't need a delicate flower like Strasburg in the playoffs anyway.  He'd probably melt down under the pressure.  Too much media focus - he'd never hold up under the spotlight like that. 

Am I right?

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #90: September 08, 2012, 10:40:02 PM »
It sounds to me like Strasburg always kinda thought the team would change their mind.  When he finally realized they wouldn't his performance dipped severely.  I don't think it was the media attention.  I just think it's really hard to be fully committed knowing you aren't going to be there when the games count the most.  I don't think that makes Strasburg a baby.  I think that makes him human.

Great season Stephen.  Glad he got through it healthy and super excited to see him in 2013.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #91: September 08, 2012, 10:44:33 PM »
they didn't need to skip too many. They could have limited his innings at time like during september. They could even pitch him 5 IP in the playoffs then when he comes to bat, replace him. They could have even done the David Price Bullpen for playoffs route

The whole idea was to put him on a consistant schedule and bring him along on that schedule. Not put him on a schedule and then tinker with it to maximize one year's profits. Long term success hopefully, is the goal.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #92: September 08, 2012, 11:20:08 PM »
So if we win the World Series without Strasburg, can we trade this injury prone, weakminded, pitcher?

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #93: September 08, 2012, 11:58:31 PM »
This decision will hurt for a long time. 

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #94: September 09, 2012, 12:06:11 AM »

You aren't actually saving workload in this scenario, because he has to throw bullpens anyway. It's not like pitchers sit idle between starts. It also doesn't make sense, as Terp pointed out, because you're limiting his innings while getting him used to an MLB schedule.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #95: September 09, 2012, 12:14:25 AM »
I wonder.

If you subtract ALL of Strasburgs stats, what do our team totals look like

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #96: September 09, 2012, 12:17:10 AM »
I wonder.

If you subtract ALL of Strasburgs stats, what do our team totals look like
Still the best ERA in the majors

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #97: September 09, 2012, 12:23:47 AM »
Still the best ERA in the majors

We don't even have the best ERA now, with Strasburg...

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #98: September 09, 2012, 12:25:33 AM »
Laughing only encourages his trolling. Worst of all, he's not even close to being correct. So, laugh if you want... but you're only encouraging his behavior.

Lighten up.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #99: September 09, 2012, 12:38:17 AM »
We don't even have the best ERA now, with Strasburg...
#2 then

:thumbs: