Author Topic: 6/15-6/18 Yankees Series Discussion/Info (merged)  (Read 3332 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

I guess I don't see 5 games as commanding when there's still 100ish games to play and at least 12 games remaining vs. every team in the division.  It's certainly ours to lose right now, but let's not get ahead of our selves just yet.  The Braves are still gonna have a say in this thing yet.  That's a really good team in Atlanta.

Offline DPMOmaha

Two hottest teams in baseball.  Gonna be great!

Offline PC

It's John Smoltz with Costas, not Jim Kaat.

And it's not Costas.  It's Tom Verducci.  I was wrong on both counts.

EDIT - It's not Verducci.  It's Matt Vasgersian.  Why can't I get this right???

Offline northstar

Tampa has been getting their ass kicked by the Mets, I'm not afraid of that team, they don't have much talent. However the Yankees are very stout though we don't have to face Sabathia nor Kuroda in this series.

In the Yankees series I want 2 of 3. We have nice matchups. Gio vs Hughes, edge us. JZimm vs Pettite, even. Edwin Jackson vs Nova, edge us. Though the Yankees' offense has the potential to go off on any pitcher so our offense is going to have to be able to put up 6+ runs I think.

Both Gio and Jackson had been hit hard by the Yankees when they were in AL.
Don't think Zimmermann ever faced Yankees.
This is a real test for Nats.
I say Yankees is probably a better overall team than the Nats now.
We have a better pitching, but they have much better hitting.
as for the result: 0/3 is a failure, 1/3 is satisfactory, 2/3 is great, 3/3 is perfect.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
I think winning vs. the Yankees is more about making a statement. Yes, every game counts, but if the Nats compete with the Yankees this weekend, then they're sending a message that they're for real.

I think we will take 2 out of 3 but would settle for 1/3.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.

I don't think the Yankees know what they're getting themselves into.

Offline Baseball is Life

I don't think the Yankees know what they're getting themselves into.

Too funny.

Offline loshjott

Though the Yankees' offense has the potential to go off on any pitcher so our offense is going to have to be able to put up 6+ runs I think.

Boston and Toronto are 2 and 3 in the AL in runs scored (Yanks are 5) and the Nats just took 6 of 6 from them - and that was away from home using AL rules.  True, the Yanks team OPS is higher than both Boston and Toronto.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Somebody get DPM a drool rag and tell him to stop letting his coworkers brainwash him :P

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I think we can get 2 out of 3 from the Yanks. The Nationals will get up for a big team in their ball park.

The Rays, on the other hand, are basically the AL version of the Marlins prior to the last offseason. I'm fairly confident they will own us.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
we won series against the yanks in 06 and 09

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile

It's true - and the dates were exactly 16th/17th/18th June in both case:

2006 at RFK

Fr 16th - L 5-7
Sa 17th - W 11-9
Su 18th - W 3-2 [Ryan Zimmerman's 'Who's Your Daddy' walk off on Fathers' Day vs Wang in front of largest Nats home crowd ever]

2009 at New Yankee Stadium - one of the few bright spots in a truly dire season

Tu 16th - L 5-3
We 17th - W 3-2 [Wang the loser again]
Th 18th - W 3-0

Offline aussienatsfan

I go into every game expecting to win right now, it's so different to be in this position.

I think our staff may be able to contain the yanks big bats, hopefully we can take 2

Offline Ray D

I guess I don't see 5 games as commanding

You need only look back to 2005 to confirm that.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Anyone that says it's ok to lose a series is already too comfortable and probably just happy to have a baseball team.

You play to win, not have 'nice try' building seasons.

There are no participation trophies in the MLB.

Offline Baseball is Life

Anyone that says it's ok to lose a series is already too comfortable and probably just happy to have a baseball team.

You play to win, not have 'nice try' building seasons.

There are no participation trophies in the MLB.

You play to win the games (duh) but realize you can't win them all. So it's OK to have a losing series. You just can't have too many of them if you expect to compete for the pennant.

And I am really happy to have a baseball team, too.

Offline Vladman1327

It's true - and the dates were exactly 16th/17th/18th June in both case:

2006 at RFK

Fr 16th - L 5-7
Sa 17th - W 11-9
Su 18th - W 3-2 [Ryan Zimmerman's 'Who's Your Daddy' walk off on Fathers' Day vs Wang in front of largest Nats home crowd ever]

2009 at New Yankee Stadium - one of the few bright spots in a truly dire season

Tu 16th - L 5-3
We 17th - W 3-2 [Wang the loser again]
Th 18th - W 3-0

I was at both of the 2009 wins at Yankee Stadium.  Took my dad as a Father's Day gift for the Wednesday night game.  John Lannan went 8 1/3 before Mike MacDougal shut the door after a long, 9-pitch or so groundout by Robinson Cano.  The guy sitting behind me shook my hand because he was so impressed that I was wearing a John Lannan jersey.

The next day, I went with my friend and stayed at Yankee Stadium for 10 1/2 hours.  First pitch was scheduled for 1:05, but the game was delayed until 7:00.  We got there at 11:30 am and didn't leave until 10:00 that night.  We got to move up to the main level (one behind the field level) right near home plate.  I distinctly remember a father and son cheering for Wil Nieves with a bunch of scummy Yankees fans mocking them.  IIRC, this was Craig Stammen's first career win.  I remember him interviewing with Debbie Taylor after the game.

Two of the best games I have ever been to.

Offline Ray D

I remember him interviewing with Debbie Taylor after the game.

How important was that first win?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

Offline Baseball is Life

How important was that first win?

No, how did it feel after that first win.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
I was at the 11-9 game in '06.  Had great, great seats behind the Nats dugout with two good friends and Yankee fans.  Yanks got WAY up early - maybe 9-2 or so before the Nats launched a comeback.  As the comeback happened, my buddy kept sitting there saying "I'm not worried - I'm not worried."  Then it got to be 9-6, then 9-8.  "I'm not worried."  "I'm not worried."

And then Soriano got on base and they brought in Rivera to try to close the door.  "See?  No problem, Rivera's game over."  Then Soriano stole second.  Says me:  Are you worried yet? Then he steals third.  Says me: ARE YOU WORRIED YET?!  Then, the greatest closer in the history of the game blew it.  Single to Vidro, tie game, 9-9.  Guillen tripled, I think - who knows, that whole time I was mostly screaming at my buddy and rubbing it in.  Anyway, two more runs scored, Nats win, 11-9.   

Maybe the best game I've ever actually seen live. Go get those upper-crusty NY'ers and send them back to their Upper West Side musty old penthouses with their tails between their legs.

And count me with Waleski that these games matter because if we lose, it lessens the impact of them beating up on the Braves - if we take 2-3, we solidify the lead.  We haven't seen the last of the Braves.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
I was at the 11-9 game in '06.  Had great, great seats behind the Nats dugout with two good friends and Yankee fans.  Yanks got WAY up early - maybe 9-2 or so before the Nats launched a comeback.  As the comeback happened, my buddy kept sitting there saying "I'm not worried - I'm not worried."  Then it got to be 9-6, then 9-8.  "I'm not worried."  "I'm not worried."

And then Soriano got on base and they brought in Rivera to try to close the door.  "See?  No problem, Rivera's game over."  Then Soriano stole second.  Says me:  Are you worried yet? Then he steals third.  Says me: ARE YOU WORRIED YET?!  Then, the greatest closer in the history of the game blew it.  Single to Vidro, tie game, 9-9.  Guillen tripled, I think - who knows, that whole time I was mostly screaming at my buddy and rubbing it in.  Anyway, two more runs scored, Nats win, 11-9.   

Maybe the best game I've ever actually seen live. Go get those upper-crusty NY'ers and send them back to their Upper West Side musty old penthouses with their tails between their legs.

And count me with Waleski that these games matter because if we lose, it lessens the impact of them beating up on the Braves - if we take 2-3, we solidify the lead.  We haven't seen the last of the Braves.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/WAS/WAS200606170.shtml

Close on the memory. Scott Proctor started the 8th by walking Soriano. Vidro flew out to CF and they brought in Rivera to pitch to Daryle Ward. Soriano stole 2nd, then 3rd and scored on a throwing error on the steal of 3rd. Tie game. Rivera walked Ward. Then Giuillen tripled in Ward for the lead. Zimmerman singled home Guillen for the insurance run. Then Schnieder ended it with the GIDP.

Then Chief slammed the door for the Save.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!

And don't forget that sweep against them in '56.  ;)

Offline madj55

I've been at three of Zim's walk-off homer games and the one against the Yankees at RFK was the best one for me, until he walked off Brad Lidge a couple years ago. Either way it's time to kick some freaking ass and we won't have to wait on late inning rallies hopefully.