Author Topic: Google Thread  (Read 40144 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Google Thread
« Reply #950: December 05, 2012, 06:23:49 PM »
Is it finally a real app?  The old one was just a web frame or something, right?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #951: December 05, 2012, 06:26:13 PM »
Is it finally a real app?  The old one was just a web frame or something, right?

yeah it is much much improved, multiple account support, much better UI.  The took some cues from Sparrow (the mail app they bought 6 months ago).  I'm still waiting for things like G+, calendar, and chat integration though.

Offline PC

« Reply #952: December 12, 2012, 02:51:14 PM »

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #953: December 12, 2012, 02:53:23 PM »
That's a safe link, for anyone wondering.

Offline ronnynat

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #956: May 17, 2013, 10:55:43 AM »
The new "hangouts" app for Android is terrible.  Talk about too much fiddle and fluff for a simple IM app.  I'm downgrading back to the old Talk app unless they force the update.

At least they finally added the ability to long-press copy text from a message :roll:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #957: May 17, 2013, 11:57:09 AM »
Has anyone tried the Chromebooks that Google is selling? If so, how are they?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #958: May 17, 2013, 12:36:19 PM »
The new "hangouts" app for Android is terrible.  Talk about too much fiddle and fluff for a simple IM app.  I'm downgrading back to the old Talk app unless they force the update.

At least they finally added the ability to long-press copy text from a message :roll:

I can't get it on my N7.  If I go to it in the Play store it says "Open" but it just opens Talk.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #959: May 23, 2013, 05:02:03 PM »
Got my Google Maps upgrade invite.

It's so, so beautiful.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #960: May 23, 2013, 05:34:35 PM »
What did they change?  I'm not big on the changes from talk to the new hangouts IM app.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #961: May 23, 2013, 05:46:52 PM »
What did they change?  I'm not big on the changes from talk to the new hangouts IM app.
I can post screenies.

First one: crappy-color-quality JPG showing the new business search. Shrunk it a bit cuz I have a 27" monitor.
Second one: the new traffic mode.

Both: observe the new windows that have replaced the sidebars etc.

I'll post a directions shot when I'm back on a smaller computer screen.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #962: May 23, 2013, 05:59:08 PM »
I can post screenies.

First one: crappy-color-quality JPG showing the new business search. Shrunk it a bit cuz I have a 27" monitor.
Second one: the new traffic mode.

Both: observe the new windows that have replaced the sidebars etc.

I'll post a directions shot when I'm back on a smaller computer screen.

I edited your post to remove the second attachment since you forgot to black out your gmail address in the other tab, which I assume you didn't want visible since you did it in the first attachment.  The restaurant search does look nice.

Also, I NOW KNOW YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #963: May 23, 2013, 06:59:24 PM »
I edited your post to remove the second attachment since you forgot to black out your gmail address in the other tab, which I assume you didn't want visible since you did it in the first attachment.  The restaurant search does look nice.

Also, I NOW KNOW YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Oh ok, here it is:

And you already knew it, you Gchatted me that one time  :razz:

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #964: May 25, 2013, 05:32:57 PM »
Seems like with the exception of my laptop's OS, my search engine(I <3 Bing Rewards too much to quit using Bing), and my web browser(I can't get Chrome on my phone, so I am using Firefox on both my PC and my Phone. Sync is awesome). I am going to be back with Google.

got me an Android phone now through the new-ish mobile service called Ting. it's an older one, for now, till I can afford one of the new, newfangled Android 4.0 devices. i'm still running 2.3 i think.

I'm pretty sure just going straight up google with the phone is going to be a lot better and easier overall than trying to shoehorn all my Microsoft stuff into it.

I'm still gonna use my Outlook.com email address. I'm just going to use it through GMail, I think.

and once the new version of Google Hangouts app can send SMS, skype will be dead to me. i'm not paying extra to send SMS messages, beyond my phone plan.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #965: May 25, 2013, 05:37:45 PM »
My friend really likes his Lumia, which is baffling to me because he was an apple fanboi for years and had an iPhone since the first gen.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #966: May 25, 2013, 06:14:50 PM »
I really like my Lumia as well.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #967: May 28, 2013, 02:31:08 AM »
so the updated version of Google+ is vastly superior in functionality to Facebook. especially for its Communities feature.

it will never, EVER, EVER, EVER be even remotely close to being as popular as Facebook though, sadly.

Facebook is McDonalds, Google+ is Five Guys.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #968: May 28, 2013, 08:25:19 AM »
Most of my friends  are either leaving or just letting their accounts go dormant on facebook,  but maybe it's just a sign I'm getting old. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #969: May 28, 2013, 08:33:39 AM »
Nah. Facebook is a dying platform.

Most of my friends  are either leaving or just letting their accounts go dormant on facebook,  but maybe it's just a sign I'm getting old.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #970: May 28, 2013, 10:18:49 AM »

I logged into myspace a few days ago to get some old pictures that aren't anywhere else. I saw that someone was still using it. Logging into myspace and finding someone that still uses it is like finding a live dinosaur at an archeological dig.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #971: May 28, 2013, 10:21:19 AM »
The Google Maps car is one of the funniest jokes on the new Arrested Development.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #972: May 28, 2013, 10:21:44 AM »
I logged into myspace a few days ago to get some old pictures that aren't anywhere else. I saw that someone was still using it. Logging into myspace and finding someone that still uses it is like finding a live dinosaur at an archeological dig.

I tried that a while ago to get some pictures from college, unfortunately, I don't remember my password, and the e-mail address I used then is no longer active- I guess they'll forever remain in limbo

Offline Nathan

« Reply #973: June 03, 2013, 08:06:10 PM »
I require google fiber to come to my town immediately.

:az:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #974: June 03, 2013, 09:28:58 PM »
I require google fiber to come to my town immediately.

(Image removed from quote.)

:az:

itll never come to new york city :(