Author Topic: Espinosa/Marrero/other Nats in Puerto Rico thread  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Espinosa/Marrero/other Nats in Puerto Rico thread
« Topic Start: October 28, 2010, 03:11:03 PM »
http://flotn.blogspot.com/2010/10/espinosa-off-to-slow-start-in-puerto.html

Danny Espinosa is off to a slow start in his stint with Leones de Ponce of the Puerto Rico Baseball League.

Through four games, Espinosa is 4/17 with no extra base hits or walks, giving him a perfect stat line of .235/.235/.235

I'm thinking this experience will be good for Danny.

I do find it interesting that he is playing SS in Puerto Rico, and not 2B. You'd think if he was expecting to play 2B fulltime, he'd want as many reps as possible in the offseason.

Offline HalfSmokes

If he's the better defensive SS, do they move desmond to second?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
For the team, it'd make sense... but, they hardly make rational decisions.

Remember, as I was told by Lorb on the Twitters, Desmond is a leader, I, and everyone else has to deal with it.

Offline Potomac Cannons

If he's the better defensive SS, do they move desmond to second?

Maybe for a season.   I think the continued development of Lombardozzi as a 2B and true leadoff candidate makes either Espinosa or Desmond trade bait by the 2011 July trading deadline.  The other option is Desmond/Espinosa locking their spots down, Lombardozzi continuing to post a .370+ OBP at every level, and Steve being the one packaged in a trade.

Offline HalfSmokes

Maybe espinosa is bait this offseason, he bat is certainly worth more attached to a ss than a 2b

Offline DPMOmaha

Why can't he lead from second base?

Offline Potomac Cannons

Why can't he lead from second base?

Because Adam Dunn committed an error.

Offline NatsDad14

Ladson would explode if Desmond ever played defense next to Dunn.

Offline PatsNats28

For the team, it'd make sense... but, they hardly make rational decisions.

Remember, as I was told by Lorb on the Twitters, Desmond is a leader, I, and everyone else has to deal with it.

Have... I and everyone else = plural subject.

(If I can't be a spelling nazi, I'm at least appointing myself grammar nazi).

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Have... I and everyone else = plural subject.

(If I can't be a spelling nazi, I'm at least appointing myself grammar nazi).

Clobeson do doesnt work with gramars.

Offline bglide

• banned
Espinosa sucks.  If we are counting on him, we are done. 

Offline Sharp

I wish I had the powers of prognostication you do.  Of course, most prospects flame out so at some level always being negative is the safe bet, but Espinosa has the right combination of defense and power to be a valuable player provided he can adjust to the league.

Offline NJ Ave

This doesn't show a complete understanding of SS value. Cliff Pennington put up a .250/.319/.368 stat line with good defense at SS and was a 3-4 win player. Yunel Escobar put up .256/.337/.318 with decent defense and was a 2 win player. If Desmond cuts his errors in half, he's worth an additional 1-1.5 wins.

So all Espinosa has to do to be a successful shortstop is show good range, keep his errors to about 20, and have an OPS of about .650. That's a 2.5 win player, at least. And that's quite valuable when you're paying the league minimum.

Offline Potomac Cannons

Guys, bigotglide blatantly dogs everyone who isn't white.  Don't feed the troll.

Offline Sharp

Guys, bigotglide blatantly dogs everyone who isn't white.  Don't feed the troll.
Danny isn't white?

Offline Potomac Cannons

Danny isn't white?

Even if he is, Espinosa sounds like a name bigotglide doesn't like so he'll actively put him down due to perceived race.

Offline Sharp

Even if he is, Espinosa sounds like a name bigotglide doesn't like so he'll actively put him down due to perceived race.
I think you may be reaching a little here.

Offline Potomac Cannons

It's eagleskins/nattie 20 etc.  Same guy gets banned for racism repeatedly.  Don't know why Chief doesn't just IP ban him permanently.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

no, that's pretty much the consistent thread.