Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2016)  (Read 48809 times)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2016)
« Reply #100: February 02, 2016, 06:56:57 PM »
Publix sammiches are the BEST.

Yep!!! for some reason good bread is tough to find here and their Italian 5-grain bread makes for one awesome sandwich!

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #101: February 02, 2016, 07:00:52 PM »
Publix is really Florida's form of a Giant supermarket.

:hysterical:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #102: February 02, 2016, 10:01:33 PM »
Has anyone tried the Nashville Chicken at KFC ?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #103: February 03, 2016, 09:18:44 AM »
seems strange to have Nashville at KFC. It's like California Tortilla coming out with a Santa Fe breakfast burrito.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #104: February 03, 2016, 09:38:27 AM »

I finally broke down and tried a couple of strips of it last weekend. It's not fiery hot, but does have enough heat to have some flavor. The taste is pretty interesting - a bit smoky, a bit heat, a small bit of sweet. Hard to describe. No idea if it matches up with actual Nashville style chicken, but I'd eat it again if I didn't limit fast food to once a month.

I actually went in hoping I'd hate it so I could ignore the commercials going forward. I was disappointed to realize that nope, I liked it.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #105: February 03, 2016, 09:40:55 AM »
I finally broke down and tried a couple of strips of it last weekend. It's not fiery hot, but does have enough heat to have some flavor. The taste is pretty interesting - a bit smoky, a bit heat, a small bit of sweet. Hard to describe. No idea if it matches up with actual Nashville style chicken, but I'd eat it again if I didn't limit fast food to once a month.

I actually went in hoping I'd hate it so I could ignore the commercials going forward. I was disappointed to realize that nope, I liked it.

if you like KFC

http://www.epicurious.com/archive/blogs/editor/2009/09/cracking-the-colonels-secret-recipe-for-kfc-fried-chicken.html

I don't bother with the cooking method, but the spices seem to match (except fresher tasting)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #106: February 03, 2016, 10:57:54 AM »

I love Nashville Hot Chicken (you must include the Hot) and what KFC is offering is their usual chicken with some form of weak ass paprika and cayenne pepper "sauce" dribbled over it that they don't even bother serving it with Wonder Bread.  Outside of Prince's Fried Chicken in Nashville the only place that makes a decent version is Jim 'N Nick's (https://www.jimnnicks.com), all others are pale imitations with KFC's being one of the worst.

Offline Mathguy

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #109: February 09, 2016, 09:02:05 PM »
Making a cake for an office event on Thursday. Got the recipe from my brother-in-law's wife. She made it at Christmas and it was excellent. I made it a week later and really liked it then too. Super-easy. My comments in parentheses.

"Wine Cake"

1 package yellow cake mix
1 package instant vanilla pudding
3/4 cup sherry (DO NOT use cooking sherry! It's too salty. Use the real stuff, Taylor's or Harvey's Bristol Cream.)
3/4 cup vegetable oil (or corn oil, which is what I use)
1 tsp nutmeg
3 eggs

Beat everything for 5 minutes at high speed. Put in greased Bundt pan and bake at 350 for 50 minutes. (I start the timer at 40 minutes and take it out early if it's done.)

Dust with powdered sugar when cool. (Don't let it cool too long lest it stick to the pan.)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #110: February 11, 2016, 04:38:41 PM »
The 3/4 cup of sherry leaves a healthy slug for the cook
Making a cake for an office event on Thursday. Got the recipe from my brother-in-law's wife. She made it at Christmas and it was excellent. I made it a week later and really liked it then too. Super-easy. My comments in parentheses.

"Wine Cake"

3/4 cup sherry (DO NOT use cooking sherry! It's too salty. Use the real stuff, Taylor's or Harvey's Bristol Cream.)
1 tsp nutmeg
3 eggs

Beat everything for 5 minutes at high speed. Put in greased Bundt pan and bake at 350 for 50 minutes. (I start the timer at 40 minutes and take it out early if it's done.)

Dust with powdered sugar when cool. (Don't let it cool too long lest it stick to the pan.)

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #111: February 11, 2016, 10:52:06 PM »
Well, you know Shoo - words don't exist that could possibly describe the awesomeness of you posting this recipe today ....

"Wine Cake"

1 tsp nutmeg
3 eggs

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #112: February 13, 2016, 09:29:44 AM »
Hope you like it. Really couldn't be easier to make. Don't let the cake cool for more than ten minutes before removing it from the Bundt pan. If you let it cool to much, it'll stick.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #114: February 15, 2016, 06:57:24 PM »
Making the barefoot contessa 1700 house meatloaf with garlic sauce tonight. Smells awesome.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #116: February 15, 2016, 07:00:27 PM »
....   and the schools are open.

A hardy lot, indeed...

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #117: February 15, 2016, 09:53:59 PM »
My wife likes crème brûlée, so I made some yesterday, but I don't own a kitchen torch. No problem....

• babble on
« Reply #118: February 15, 2016, 10:29:18 PM »
 :clap:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #119: February 21, 2016, 07:58:06 PM »
Yeah lodge. Already have the skillet. A little bit of a learning curve but now I like it. Might need to get another one

When my wife moved out on her own in the mid 80's, her mom gave her her own mother's old cast iron set - a skillet, pot, and lid that fits both.  I have no idea when they'd last been used, but I can tell you we've never used them.  I have a large skillet and dutch oven that I use for camp cooking, she has a tiny skillet she uses for an egg once in a great while, and that's about it for 'merican cast iron.

I've decided to resurrect the old cast iron pieces that have been gathering dust in the basement, essentially following the approach articulated here.   http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/how-to-restore-vintage-cast-iron-cookware.html

The pieces don't have a brand name stamped on them, but by visiting this site http://www.castironcollector.com/unmarked.php I've been able to identify the skillet as a "three notch" Lodge. 

I found this comment on the restoration site interesting:   
One of the wonders of cast iron is that it's tough as nails, and can last for generations. For those looking to take their cast iron cooking to the next level, a nice piece of vintage cookware is a pretty sweet first step. It's not that the vintage stuff is worlds better than the modern pans available today—the smoother finish characteristic of very old cast iron provides only marginally better non-stick properties.

But, for those of us nerdy enough to get excited about the details, vintage cast iron has a lot going for it. First, it tends to be lighter than its modern equivalents, which, if you use cast iron regularly, can start to make a difference in your quality of life (at the very least, your back will thank you for it). Second, it has that smooth finish, a final production step from long ago that was eventually dropped in favor of manufacturing speed and efficiency. Aside from the small improvement in non-stick qualities that the smooth surface does offer, it's also just a heck of a lot more beautiful to look at.

So, at some point they stopped making the cooking surface so smooth, degrading the non-stick property.  As I clean up my wife's grandmother's pieces I am hoping they are the old slicker surface era type but the article didn't really say more about the subject.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #120: February 21, 2016, 08:00:56 PM »
Even the new stuff is slick if you take care of it

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #121: February 21, 2016, 08:06:14 PM »
Even the new stuff is slick if you take care of it

Oh, I'm not bashing the new stuff, but apparently the pores are larger in the new stuff making the older stuff slicker.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #122: February 22, 2016, 08:05:26 AM »
Someone told me about those old pans and that hipsters are paying big bucks for them.

I don't have much of a problem with sticking. Maybe I'm to generous with the oil. But when the food is browned right, it doesn't stick. Cleanup is easy. Just boil water in the pan and scrape lightly. Or use wine and make it a pan sauce

• babble on
« Reply #123: February 22, 2016, 06:07:26 PM »
We have the iron skillets from the old lady's grandmother.  The big one weighs about as much as a panzer.   

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #124: February 23, 2016, 08:33:07 AM »
Round one of oven cleaner got probably 85% of the mung off them.   Saturated them with another round and will wash/scrub them off tonight to see how they look.  There's a little bit of rust on the lid, nothing significant.

Dave B, I did some looking around ebay and many of the name brand pans go for $100 or so.  They are kind of cool looking, would look great if you have a hanging rack for pans over an island in your kitchen, which we don't.  The guy who wrote the blog I linked to said he really scoured the Maryland / Pennsylvania flea markets and antique joints buying up collectible cast iron, whereupon he restores and flips them.  I could see him making $50 a pan, a nice hobby income.