Author Topic: Running thread..  (Read 16159 times)

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Re: Running thread..
« Reply #25: October 12, 2011, 11:21:36 PM »
That's my plan, I'm going go to Dicks or some other sporting goods store and try some out before I buy.  The biggest problem is that in some shoes I wear a 14, which is often hard to find at brick-and-mortar stores.

Amen my large hoofed friend! I wear a 14 as well, 15 in Nike's. New Balance seem to fit me best, seems like most of my larger friends find NB to be the most comfortable.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #26: October 12, 2011, 11:28:52 PM »
Amen my large hoofed friend! I wear a 14 as well, 15 in Nike's. New Balance seem to fit me best, seems like most of my larger friends find NB to be the most comfortable.

I was a Nike guy for years, but I've switched over to Underarmour now. I love their athletic clothing and shoes. Their stuff is a little pricey, but it's well worth it in my opinion.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #27: October 12, 2011, 11:50:09 PM »
I was a Nike guy for years, but I've switched over to Underarmour now. I love their athletic clothing and shoes. Their stuff is a little pricey, but it's well worth it in my opinion.

Me wearing UA is the equivalent of that fat lady that wears spandex... Not trying to see that :lol:

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #28: October 13, 2011, 01:14:10 AM »
I second eck - go to a place that specializes in running shoes. The running store in gainesville, va is fantastic.  They videotape you running on their treadmill to identify how you step, then get shoes to provide the right level of support.  It takes a while, but I love the shoes they gave me and it only costs about ten bucks more than Dicks.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #29: October 13, 2011, 07:43:53 AM »
I second eck - go to a place that specializes in running shoes. The running store in gainesville, va is fantastic.  They videotape you running on their treadmill to identify how you step, then get shoes to provide the right level of support.  It takes a while, but I love the shoes they gave me and it only costs about ten bucks more than Dicks.

Yeah, do not go to Dicks, go to a running store. I go to a place in Reston Town Center that videoed my horrendously goofy running form and recommended me a pair.

Also, those minimalist running shoes are not for everyone. I would injure my feet and legs if I tried to run in them.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #30: October 13, 2011, 10:28:46 AM »
I'm old, run several (or more depending on the body) miles everyday and have never paid more than $59.95 for a pair of running shoes.   I usually buy a make/model that was out 2 years ago.   Ask where you shop if they have any out of stock/fashion shoes.   You may be pleasantly surprised at what they don't have out front.      I don't dress up.   I run at 0300 and wear some of the most raggedy, tattered, used pieces of clothing that you could ever see.   If you're running to be seen, go to the gym around 1 PM and watch yourself in the mirror on the treadmill.   You will NEVER quit on yourself ..  alone ..  at 0330.   Drive on.

BTW .. dressed like that at 0330 may get you stopped by the cops.   Don't ask me how I know.  :)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #31: October 13, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
MSD, I know you are a contrarian, so consider reading some of the anti-high-tech footwear stuff that's out there. I won't say anymore than that, because I'll be starting a holy war. ;)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #32: October 13, 2011, 12:00:50 PM »
I like the idea of the minimalist running shoes for running on the beach.  Good for your knees as well

Also, those minimalist running shoes are not for everyone. I would injure my feet and legs if I tried to run in them.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #33: October 13, 2011, 12:27:39 PM »
MSD, I know you are a contrarian, so consider reading some of the anti-high-tech footwear stuff that's out there. I won't say anymore than that, because I'll be starting a holy war. ;)

GBurg - no worries, I think I'm finally at the point, weight wise, where I can try out a couple of different things and see what works for me.  I've considered getting a pair of these:

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #34: October 13, 2011, 12:29:48 PM »
Vibram FiveFingers rock. Granted never use them for long distance running.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #35: October 13, 2011, 12:31:02 PM »

How do they hold up for daily use?  Also, which version do you have?

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #36: October 13, 2011, 12:34:45 PM »
KSO. I have had them about a year, wearing them 60% of the time. Climbed the billy goat trail, done some hiking, biking, boating, swimming, and just general out and about. No appreciable wear and tear, although I have been told that is dependant on getting the right fit. I got my sized by this guy who seemsed to be working with nothing but these shoes at City Sports in Chinatown.

My balence is better, my feet are stronger, definately glad I got them. I do like the look of the new Kamodos though.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #37: October 13, 2011, 01:18:24 PM »
GBurg - no worries, I think I'm finally at the point, weight wise, where I can try out a couple of different things and see what works for me.  I've considered getting a pair of these:

(Image removed from quote.)

That is an interesting model.   I'd try them if I didn't have a prehensile second toe.   :)

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #38: October 13, 2011, 08:27:47 PM »
I'd try them, but I'm just too self conscious, which is why I'm going with the Merrell Trail Gloves. They look mostly like normal shoes without heels. Folks that run in Vibram FFs and Merrells say the Merrells are a little cooler (temperature).

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #39: October 13, 2011, 08:31:36 PM »
'The two things I noticed when I started barefooting  (essentially the same thing as wearing Vibram FFs) was how much better my balance was and that my middle aged "bony" feet started getting fleshy again. My foot is wider but shorter as my arch has lifted quite a bit.

And I can't stand any shoes with heels. I wear my Mountain Masochist trail shoes and I feel like I'm in high heels.

KSO. I have had them about a year, wearing them 60% of the time. Climbed the billy goat trail, done some hiking, biking, boating, swimming, and just general out and about. No appreciable wear and tear, although I have been told that is dependant on getting the right fit. I got my sized by this guy who seemsed to be working with nothing but these shoes at City Sports in Chinatown.

My balence is better, my feet are stronger, definately glad I got them. I do like the look of the new Kamodos though.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #40: October 13, 2011, 08:33:34 PM »
'The two things I noticed when I started barefooting  (essentially the same thing as wearing Vibram FFs) was how much better my balance was and that my middle aged "bony" feet started getting fleshy again. My foot is wider but shorter as my arch has lifted quite a bit.

And I can't stand any shoes with heels. I wear my Mountain Masochist trail shoes and I feel like I'm in high heels.

you may have convinced my flat footed self to give them a try

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #41: October 13, 2011, 08:35:18 PM »
Those Merrell Trail Gloves look like some shoes I got from Lands End. While nice, they don't have nearly the same effect. Granted they aren't exactly the same thing.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #42: October 13, 2011, 08:37:20 PM »
If you try barefoot or barefoot shoes, transition really, really slowly. Find some grass and run no more than an eighth of a mile at first. Landing on your forefoot instead of your heel is a very, very different feeling and takes a long time to get used to. I can do three+ miles now, but at about 4 miles my calves have got nothing left and my heels start coming down too hard.

It's a great way to preserve your joints, but it is TOUGH on your muscles for a while.

you may have convinced my flat footed self to give them a try

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #43: October 13, 2011, 08:39:35 PM »
The sole on the trail glove is thinner than the sole pads on the Vibram FFs, and they are almost as flexible as the FFs. You also can't see it, but they are foot shaped. They get fantastic reviews, even from barefooters like Jason Robillard who only ran barefoot or in Vibrams for years (even his 100 mile ultra distance runs).
Those Merrell Trail Gloves look like some shoes I got from Lands End. While nice, they don't have nearly the same effect. Granted they aren't exactly the same thing.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #44: October 13, 2011, 08:59:37 PM »
Sounds like something worthwhile to look at in the real world.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #45: October 13, 2011, 09:06:45 PM »
The sole on the trail glove is thinner than the sole pads on the Vibram FFs, and they are almost as flexible as the FFs. You also can't see it, but they are foot shaped. They get fantastic reviews, even from barefooters like Jason Robillard who only ran barefoot or in Vibrams for years (even his 100 mile ultra distance runs).

I was looking at those earlier this summer but the funds never let me make the jump.  I've had a couple pairs of Merrell's over the years and loved them.  Would love to go exclusively Merrell, but that's not financially practical right now.  Hoping to get a nice pair of M boots for winter.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #46: October 14, 2011, 09:11:37 AM »
Gonna buy a pair Saturday while my wife is out of town. It'll lessen the impact if she can fume about it for a day before getting back to me. ;)
Sounds like something worthwhile to look at in the real world.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #47: October 15, 2011, 04:52:35 PM »
Great 4.5 mile run last night, just me, two deer, one raccoon and a stealthy fox in the park. Scudding clouds, gusty breeze, bright moon. Bliss.

About to go out for another four. It won't be as nice in broad daylight, but at least the cool weather hung around.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #48: October 15, 2011, 05:13:37 PM »
Does anyone have experience with Nike+ - I'm looking for a way to measure my rubs and I use too many cut throughs for google maps to work

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #49: October 15, 2011, 07:26:25 PM »
Try this. It works for me. Just type in your starting address and click each "turn".

http://www.runningmap.com/

Does anyone have experience with Nike+ - I'm looking for a way to measure my rubs and I use too many cut throughs for google maps to work