Author Topic: Now that we've got the Bat...time to get the Pitcher.  (Read 6035 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
I'm gonna throw some names out there, and we can collectively research them.

Mark Redman, Pirates
Kip Wells, Pirates
Jason Johnson, Tigers
Mike Maroth, Tigers
Jason Schmidt, Giants
Scott Kazmir, Devil Rays
Zach Grienke, Royals
Shawn Chacon, Rockies
Hideo Nomo (Designated for Assignment), Devil Rays

whaddya think?

any of these worth getting, and attainable?

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
If you are gonna make a list of starters rumored to be available, you can also add,

Jamie Moyer, Mariners
Ron Vallone, Mariners
Kirk Rueter, Giants
Ted Lilly, Blue Jays
Brad Radke, Twins
Jarrod Washburn, Angels
C.C. Sabathia, Indians
Eric Milton, Reds
Jason Jennings, Rockies
Tom Glavine, Mets
Victor Zambrano, Mets

One starter who's name hasn't been mentioned (that I'm aware of) is the Brewers left hander, Doug Davis. Along with Armas, I'd give up Bray and Hinckley for him, I think he's that good.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
incidentally...

God, if we could only pry Billy Wagner away from the Phillies and convince him to settle for being a Set-Up Man for a Contender.....

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Can you just imagine a Cabrera/Wagner closing punch for the Nats for the next 3 plus years? And if, (oh man, if only) get a quality lefty to add to the rotation..... Sighs a wishful sigh....

bramos

Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
One starter who's name hasn't been mentioned (that I'm aware of) is the Brewers left hander, Doug Davis. Along with Armas, I'd give up Bray and Hinckley for him, I think he's that good.

Armas, Bray and Hinckley for Davis?  Are you in a charitable mood?  For that trio, we should be asking for Clemens or Zito.  Davis is a younger version of Jamie Moyer who has certainly come into his own as a starter with the Brewers, but that's an awful lot to give up.

mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)

Quote from: "bramos"

Armas, Bray and Hinckley for Davis?  Are you in a charitable mood?  For that trio, we should be asking for Clemens or Zito.  Davis is a younger version of Jamie Moyer who has certainly come into his own as a starter with the Brewers, but that's an awful lot to give up.

Yeah, its a lot tho Davis may just be the best "gettable" LHP out there if you look beyond this year.

Plus Armas is a FA at year end and I doubt Bowden or any other GM re-signs him.

The problem with him in the deal is does Milwaukee really care about having Armas for the rest of this season? Not like he's Clemens and fans are gonna be buying tickets just to see him. I think they would probably prefer all prospects (even a mediocre position player if they're getting Bray and Hinckley). Least they can keep a prospect even if its only as a bench player.

I don't see Armas going anywhere. Small market teams don't want him cos he's a FA and what contender is gonna give up a better pitcher in return for him? Only conceivable way he could be traded is to a really pitching starved contender for a position player. AFTER a starting pitcher is acquired, this could be a possibility (tho the clock is ticking til the 31st.)

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
I'M thinking JM4 is glad I'm not the GM, but the thing is, you don't and cant win with any kind of consistency as long as you have three 6th starters in your rotation and that's what the Nats have pretty much.

To me, Armas is a throw in for any deal for a pitcher. It gives the other team someone they can use now, I'd rather not give up Bray, but Hinckley I can live without. If they would accept someone like Travis Hughes or Joe Horgan instead of Bray, all the better, because that way the Nats 1/2 combo at the top end of the bullpen in the future would eventually be Cordero/Bray

Really nice job with your Avatar...  BTW, you don't really need to use the AKA's. I doubt it makes much of a difference to most of us on here... Besides, you can always stick the AKA into your signature.

I'M thinking JM4 is glad I'm not the GM, but the thing is, you don't and cant win with any kind of consistency as long as you have three 6th starters in your rotation and that's what the Nats have pretty much.

To me, Armas is a throw in for any deal for a pitcher. It gives the other team someone they can use now, I'd rather not give up Bray, but Hinckley I can live without. If they would accept someone like Travis Hughes or Joe Horgan instead of Bray, all the better, because that way the Nats 1/2 combo at the top end of the bullpen in the future would eventually be Cordero/Bray

Oh yeah and I don't think Tony "in my mind I'm Pedro Martinez" Armas is the kind of guy who's gonna go to the 'pen gracefully.

Guess in terms of insurance you might try to retain him. So far Drese looks like one of those guys who is either lights out or awful with no middle ground, but that's on a pretty small sample of starts.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
I think if Drese can continue to give the Nats 3 very solid starts in every 5 games like he's been doing, he would eventually become a very solid 5th? starter with the team. Of course, I'm hoping the rotation not only gets beefed up between now and July 31st, but in the off-season as well.

I vote we send the Marlins Wilky in a package for Pierre. I'm pretty sure Wilson would move over to left for him and that would give the Nats a pretty nice looking outfield... I also agree that if we could get him, that we sign him long term...

bramos

I vote we send the Marlins Wilky in a package for Pierre...

Now, theeere's a trade.  It would take some balls for both teams to make, but let's ponder its merit for a minute.  

1)  Wilkerson's Floridian background and his connection with the Marlins management.

2)  Pierre's season-long funk and his team's desire to shake things up.

Sounds like a marriage to be made here.  What say we toss in Sunny Kim for Guillermo Mota?

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
That's actually not a bad idea... But you're right, I doubt very much that either Bowden or Beinfest have the balls to pull that one off...

Speaking of players in a funk, the Nats site says that the Nats are talking with the Devil Rays about Lugo and Baez. Interesting talks if its true.  Since they have Huff who's not doing that great as well, maybe we could get Lugo, Huff and Baez.

I remember in ST, the Devil Rays turned down a Sledge and Johnson for Huff offer by Bowden. I think Wilkerson, Kim, Guzman (with the Nats eating part of his contract) and either Hughes or Horgan might get them, but then again, who knows... Not me, that's for sure

bramos

I suspect both teams are merely rekindling the same discussion they had during spring training.  Perhaps Huff and Baez were the two players Bowden wanted for Johnson and Sledge.  It could morph into something else that would be beneficial to us.  Let's monitor this one.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I remember in ST, the Devil Rays turned down a Sledge and Johnson for Huff offer by Bowden. I think Wilkerson, Kim, Guzman (with the Nats eating part of his contract) and either Hughes or Horgan might get them, but then again, who knows... Not me, that's for sure

Regarding Hughes, he should be on the team right now, with Ayala to the DL.  Since we're doling out blame, Ayala is right at the core of the failing reliever corps.  He's probably been over-used, give him 15 days off and let's see if Hughes is for real.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
We cant blame Ayala for his over use, only Frank, especially when Ayala told everyone he needed a rest or his arm would fall off.

Hughes is pitching very well with NO, so has lefty Matt White. I've watching him all season and he's steady. He might be a good option for spot starting and long relief if they ever trade Armas or Kim.

We cant blame Ayala for his over use, only Frank, especially when Ayala told everyone he needed a rest or his arm would fall off.

Hughes is pitching very well with NO, so has lefty Matt White. I've watching him all season and he's steady. He might be a good option for spot starting and long relief if they ever trade Armas or Kim.

4SURE.
Ayalla is on pace to top 100 IP and almost nobody does that and has an arm left (Scot Shields being the exception).

Frank been managing like its September since about April and the pen is tired. I liked Hughes (guy is like an instructional video for drop and drive) and assume he'll be back soon (tho he's not exactly a replacement for what Ayalla brings to the table).

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Blame was probably too strong a word to use, it implies too much in this case.  But Hughes pitched great for us in his 4? outings this year, and Ayala could use a rest.  I still think, bring back Hughes for 15 days, then when Ayala is ready, worry about who to send down then.

Where would we be if we hadn't lucked out with Carrasco?  

I had a chance to chat him up briefly a while after he arrived here (while signing my son's autograph).  I told him he was the "savior of the bullpen" for how well he had pitched following our early season injury wave.  He hasn't been perfect, but he's just real steady and quite reliable.  It's nice to see him have success at this stage of his very borderline career.

One thing you got to like about Carrasco is there probably isn't a baseball situation he hasn't seen (on 3 continents!).

Nobody comes thru every time but you know Carrasco isn't overwhelmed whatever it is.

CoryFromTaylorsville

3 6th starters?  You can say Armas and Drese are, but how can either Livan, Patterson, or Loazia not be considered legit?

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
I was including Sunny Kim on my list, and I made a typo, because it should have read "3 5th starters"

BigRChurchfan

I think I'd rather keep Hinckley, and pick up Lily or Greinke.  I think the Royals would take Armas, and a bucket of chicken for Zach after the season he's had.  But he has a big upside too, its pretty hard to be a winner in KC.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Oh man, I hope the Nats don't trade for Greinke I think Runelvys Hernandez is doing a pretty good job pitching for KC, I'd much rather him than 10 Greinkes. As for Ted Lilly, I'd take him in a heartbeat...

Offline UMDNats

jennings is out for the year, scratch that.

redman or any other LHP would be great.