Author Topic: Eagles, Dixie Chicks, Keith Urban to headline Nationals Park  (Read 1965 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Eagles to headline Nationals Park Tuesday, June 15th with special guests The Dixie Chicks and Keith Urban
03/16/2010 3:49 PM ET
MLB.com

The Eagles will headline Nationals Park in Washington, D.C. on Tuesday, June 15th with special guests the Dixie Chicks and Keith Urban. The Eagles - Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit - will perform hits from their more than 35-year career, such as "Hotel California," "Desperado," "Life In The Fast Lane," "Lyin' Eyes," "Take It To The Limit," "One Of These Nights," "Heartache Tonight," and more. The Eagles last performed in Washington, D.C. in 2008.

The Dixie Chicks - Martie Maguire, Emily Robison and lead singer Natalie Maines - will hit the stage for the first time in four years, performing songs from all three of their albums including smash hits, "Wide Open Spaces," "Goodbye Earl," and "Not Ready to Make Nice."

Urban's career has produced some of the industry's best known and most loved songs - 11 #1s. "Days Go By," "Sweet Thing," Who Wouldn't Wanna Be Me," "You'll Think of Me," "Better Life," as well as Billboard's Country Song of the Decade, "Somebody Like You," will highlight Urban's performance.

"The Washington Nationals are proud to host this exciting concert," said Stan Kasten, Nationals President. An event of this magnitude designates Nationals Park as the premiere outdoor entertainment venue in Washington, DC."

American Express® Cardmembers will have early access to tickets beginning Monday, March 22nd at 10:00 AM through Sunday, March 28th at 10:00 PM. Tickets go on sale to the general public beginning at 10:00 AM on Monday, March 29, 2010 and can be purchased at Tickets.com. Dates and times subject to change without notice.

The concert utilizes All-In ticketing, which allows fans to purchase tickets without any added fees and streamlines the ticket buying process.

The Eagles have teamed up with iloveallaccess.com to offer the ultimate fan experience for the upcoming Washington, D.C. concert featuring a variety of VIP ticket packages. For more details go to www.iloveallaccess.com.

Keith Urban is a three-time Grammy Award winner who has sold nearly 15 million albums worldwide. He is the only artist to win the Country Music Association's Horizon Award for Best New Artist, as well as the coveted Entertainer of the Year Award. He's won five Academy of Country Music Awards, and in just this past year, Urban added an American Music Award and People's Choice Award to his mantle. His most recent, Defying Gravity, debuted at #1 on both Billboard's Top 200 (all genre) and Country Album Chart and produced his 10th ("Sweet Thing") and 11th ("Only You Can Love Me This Way") #1 singles. Urban's reputation as an elite songwriter, musician, vocalist and virtuoso guitarist is no more evident than onstage.

The Dixie Chicks are the biggest-selling female group in history, having sold more than 30 million albums. Their first album, "Wide Open Spaces," is the highest-selling album in history by a country music group and is among the top-100 selling albums of all time. They have won thirteen Grammy Awards and more than four dozen other major awards. Each of their three albums has won the Grammy for Best Country Album of the Year. They are one of a mere handful of acts with multiple albums achieving "diamond" status (meaning sales over 10 million copies) - both WIDE OPEN SPACES (1998) and FLY (1999) hit that stratospheric landmark. Their most recent album, Taking The Long Way debuted at #1 on the Billboard chart. The Dixie Chicks are the first female group in chart history to have three albums debut at #1 and further made music history at the 49th Annual Grammy Awards ceremony when they became the first female group ever to take home the big three top Grammy honors: Song Of The Year, Record Of The Year, and Album Of The Year (for Taking The Long Way). They also won Grammy awards for Best Country Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal and Best Country Album.

The Eagles have sold more than 120 million albums worldwide, earning five #1 U.S. singles and six GRAMMY® Awards. Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 is the best-selling album of all time, exceeding sales of 29 million units. The band's Hotel California and Their Greatest Hits Volume 2 have sold more than 16 and 11 million albums respectively. The Eagles were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1998. Visit the band's Web site at www.eaglesband.com for more information.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
This is a case of the undercard ruining the main event.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
While I appreciate the Dixie Chicks, I would rather do most anything than be at this show.

Offline sportsfan882

This is a case of the undercard ruining the main event.
This. I love The Eagles but the other bands not so much.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
The Eagles for a brief time last year had Nats Park listed on their web site as one of their tour stops, then within a day it was taken down. 

Not sure how the Dixie Chicks and Keith Urban fit with the Eagles, especially if it's the hard edged Joe Walsh sound.

Hotel California will be one of the songs playing at my funeral one day.

I'll pass on the Dixie Chicks and Urban.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Hotel California will be one of the songs playing at my funeral one day.

I was thinking "Life in the Fast Lane"   :lol:

First time I heard the album, I was crushed.  I was such a big fan, loved the country / western / California blend of Desperado, their debut album, One of These Nights, On the Border, all of them.  Hotel was such a departure.  But, I stuck with it, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th listen.  It grew on me.  And kept growing.  It's a monster album, on my top 10, on most authoritative top 10's i've seen.  I've even seen it #1 on one list.  My favorite track is "Try and Love Again", but there's not a weak cut on the LP. 

Offline Dave B

will they be selling brisket? can i play playstation?

Offline PANatsFan

will they be selling brisket? can i play playstation?

Win. I hear the bouncy castles will be running.

Offline UMDNats

Keith Urban FTW

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
this will sound blasphemous to you guys, but I actually prefer Al B. Sure's cover of Hotel California to the original. maybe it is just because the Eagles were before my time.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
I'm putting together a contract for a hitman right now.

this will sound blasphemous to you guys, but I actually prefer Al B. Sure's cover of Hotel California to the original. maybe it is just because the Eagles were before my time.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
Keith Urban FTW

I would agree with this if you meant the old meaning of FTW and not the WOW gay ass internet meaning. Because Keith Urban is to country music as salt is to sugar. So freak the World that allows this d-bag to make music that sucks.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Dave Matthew's has a country Singer to open for him too.

When do tickets go on sale?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

I'll be honest, I've barely heard of Keith Urban.  But it conjures up an image of some slicked up looking Nashville polished overproduced honey sweet ghost written pop country drivel.

Gimme some Drive by Truckers or Southern Culture on the Skids or the Gourds anyday.

Offline PANatsFan

Years ago, Ben Folds Five and Jewel :spaz: opened for Neil Young.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.

Zach Brown Band and I'm pretty sure they're already on sale.

Offline blue911

I saw Stevie Wonder open for the Stones.

Offline PANatsFan

:az:

90's, 80's, 70's, or 60's stones?

I guess if it was 90's Stones I retract my :az: and reluctantly go with a :spaz:

Offline blue911

:az:

90's, 80's, 70's, or 60's stones?

I guess if it was 90's Stones I retract my :az: and reluctantly go with a :spaz:

Early 70's.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
I hope Nats Park has its sound issues worked out. Acoustics for the Elton John-Billy Joel concert were horrific even by stadium standards. Elton had a bit of a hissy over it.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

I saw Jimmy Buffet open for the Eagles at Cap Centre.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
I was thinking "Life in the Fast Lane"   :lol:

First time I heard the album, I was crushed.  I was such a big fan, loved the country / western / California blend of Desperado, their debut album, One of These Nights, On the Border, all of them.  Hotel was such a departure.  But, I stuck with it, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th listen.  It grew on me.  And kept growing.  It's a monster album, on my top 10, on most authoritative top 10's i've seen.  I've even seen it #1 on one list.  My favorite track is "Try and Love Again", but there's not a weak cut on the LP.  

So much of this music remains durable - in 1995 I read an article which cited the Eagles' annual album sales at that time - six studio albums, two 'Best of' albums and a live double set, released during their original run from 1972-80, but not counting their reunion album Hell Freezes Over from the previous year:

3 to 4 million copies per year.

Now a decade and a half after a band's original break-up...if you're still racking up sales numbers like that, you know there's got to be more to it than just baby-boomers finally getting round to replacing their LP's, 8-tracks and cassettes. There are, it would seem, many people who cannot find musical interest (let alone inspiration) in the popular music of today but who are finding it in the music of earlier decades...sometimes the good things stay that way.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Isn't he that kiwi with the fake hick accent who sobered up when Nicole Kidman threatened to deny him her charms? 

I'll be honest, I've barely heard of Keith Urban.  But it conjures up an image of some slicked up looking Nashville polished overproduced honey sweet ghost written pop country drivel.

Gimme some Drive by Truckers or Southern Culture on the Skids or the Gourds anyday.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
And think of the hundreds of stations in central Pennsylvania that would be off the air if it weren't for Eagles tunes.

Need an Eagles hit? drive around Harrisburg.

So much of this music remains durable - in 1995 I read an article which cited the Eagles' annual album sales at that time - six studio albums, two 'Best of' albums and a live double set, released during their original run from 1972-80, but not counting their reunion album Hell Freezes Over from the previous year:

3 to 4 million copies per year.

Now a decade and a half after a band's original break-up...if you're still racking up sales numbers like that, you know there's got to be more to it than just baby-boomers finally getting round to replacing their LP's, 8-tracks and cassettes. There are, it would seem, many people who cannot find musical interest (let alone inspiration) in the popular music of today but who are finding it in the music of earlier decades...sometimes the good things stay that way.