Author Topic: Tests reveal 'bomb detector' cannot work  (Read 1717 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Tests reveal 'bomb detector' cannot work
« Reply #25: January 24, 2010, 01:07:56 PM »
I wonder if cutting the engine or putting the car in neutral would have worked.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #26: January 24, 2010, 01:17:07 PM »
The response is NOT to cut the engine.  Putting it in Neutral is the recommended tactic.  

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT CUT THE ENGINE OFF (YOU'LL LOSE YOUR STEERING CAPABILITY) OR TRY TO USE YOUR BREAKES BECAUSE THAT DIDN'T HELP EITHER!

One guy put it in Neutral and eventually steered into a Toyota dealership.  When the car finally stopped the engine was still at high tilt.  The current recall according to news reports DOES NOT COVER ALL THAT IS WRONG WITH THE CAR.  ITS NOT JUST AN ACCELLERATOR PEDAL PROBLEM!

Offline The Chief

« Reply #27: January 24, 2010, 01:21:08 PM »
True about steering, I should have thought of that.

IMO boycotting a given manufacturer over something like this is pointless.  At the end of the day, ANY car is going to have the potential to be a deathtrap when you're barreling down the highway.  If anything, a manufacturer who has to deal with a high-exposure problem like this is going to be more likely to make sure it doesn't happen again in the future.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #28: January 24, 2010, 01:55:41 PM »
True about steering, I should have thought of that.

IMO boycotting a given manufacturer over something like this is pointless.  At the end of the day, ANY car is going to have the potential to be a deathtrap when you're barreling down the highway.  If anything, a manufacturer who has to deal with a high-exposure problem like this is going to be more likely to make sure it doesn't happen again in the future.

we're 'boycotting' i.e. never buying on again because the computer on my wife's corolla died while she was driving. On her car that mean no power steering or brakes. She had to coast into a curb (it could have been much worse if she was already on the GW or 495/270). The dealership was great about it- it happened on Rt. 1 less that a mile from Alexandria toyota, so she just walked there and they arraigned a tow and swapped out the computer within three hours, what angered me was that there was a service bulletin with no notice to owners. I know it could happen with any car, but most brands are interchangeable, so crossing 1 off the list doesn't really make any difference when we go car shopping.  

Offline The Chief

« Reply #29: January 24, 2010, 02:01:15 PM »
Yeah I get it, and I wouldn't blame anyone for no longer buying a brand based on their own experiences (just ask me about my first car :lol: ) but overall I think it's generally rolling the dice no matter which brand one chooses.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #30: January 24, 2010, 02:32:39 PM »
Its how the dealership treats its customers.

I don't like anyone who accuses the user instead of the mechanics of the vehicle.  Its happened enough and with diverse people that it can't be a USER problem.  Audi and  Toyota (at least initially), made that big mistake.

I bought a used MAZDA from a dealership awhile back.  Within 2 months it started having serious problems which MAZDA did not cover.  I appealed to the dealership that I bought MAZDA on its quality reputation and that this car, although used has been having problems ever since.  The dealership refused to cover any of the repairs even though the problem kept reoccurring over and over and over again.  I appealed to District manager who didn't do anything.  When I appealled up to the Regional, they went back to District manager decision which was to do nothing.  When the dealership changed hands, I got a call asking if I was satisfied with my purchase, I said "NO!" and gave the guy an earful!  He said he'd check it out but never got back to me and when I called, they did nothing.  I ended up giving the car up for charity.

I bought my Honda shortly after.  When a warranty issue came up on a repair, Honda defended me, its customer and gave me a significant discount off the repair!  They've never advised me of an unnecessary repair and have bent over backwards to "fit me in" when I was worried about something and had them take a look.   Most times they didn't charge me for the look.  My next car will either be Honda or Ford Fusion Hybrid. 

I don't care how good Consumers like Mazda cars, I will NEVER EVER BUY ONE AND ADVISE my friends not to do so either!

Offline The Chief

« Reply #31: January 24, 2010, 04:20:35 PM »
If I recall correctly, Ford owns a controlling interest in Mazda.  Don't know if that would affect your decision or not.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #32: January 24, 2010, 05:14:05 PM »
If I recall correctly, Ford owns a controlling interest in Mazda.  Don't know if that would affect your decision or not.

The Ford Escape was co designed with Mazda, which is why it's such a great car.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #33: January 24, 2010, 05:19:15 PM »
The Ford Escape was co designed with Mazda, which is why it's such a great car.

what's the mustang's excuse   :icon_mrgreen:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #34: January 24, 2010, 05:20:10 PM »
what's the mustang's excuse   :icon_mrgreen:

in 2003/2004, Ford didn't have many great cars.

Now US automakers do make great cars that no one wants.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #35: January 24, 2010, 05:27:05 PM »

are you referring to the ford 500

quite possible the most generic/uninspired car ever made. The new fords are pretty nice though

Offline The Chief

« Reply #36: January 24, 2010, 06:07:41 PM »
If I were going to buy an American car, it would probably be a Ford.

But that's a big if.

Of course, most of the foreign brands have plants in the US these days anyway, so almost anything you buy is going to be "American" depending on your definition of the word.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #37: January 24, 2010, 06:27:17 PM »

Now US automakers do make great cars that no one wants.

Having owned a '74 Vega at one time, it's understandable that some folks have deep scars from their US built car ownership days.

Guarantee you this is a "before" picture.  Before 60,000 miles, that is.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #38: January 24, 2010, 07:41:45 PM »
I love my Mazda 3.  The new Focus looks amazing too.

You had a used Mazda, was the Honda also used?  I see a manufacturer being much more interested in helping someone that bought one of their vehicles new than a used one.

Hyundai on paper seem to treat their customers extremely well.

I don't think they do anymore.  I think they sold a good portion of their stake to raise some cash when the whole bailout thing was going on.  They still own a stake, but no longer a controlling stake.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #39: January 24, 2010, 09:24:10 PM »
Yeah, I bought my Honda new but not from the dealership that I've been bringing it to.  I've had it since 1997 and its had none of the problems the Mazda had with less milage on it.  Essentially my current car is really used.   :roll:  Its got 145,000 on it.  Yeah, its seen better days but it still runs well (knock knock on wood).

The guys were understanding when it came to repairs and how necessary they were when I was unemployed.  It still needs some repairs but nothing major.

The button to my left hand horn broke off.  I can't open the back passenger door.  The visors fabric is worn with holes in it.  Because of a dent from closing the door on a seatbelt, the sensor for the internal light doesn't operate correctly.  Their solution for that was to put a little piece of rubber in that indented spot.  It works for awhile.  That's what I mean by good service.  They could have recommended something way more expensive.  Right now I just keep the indoor light off!

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #40: January 24, 2010, 10:31:38 PM »
Having owned a '74 Vega at one time, it's understandable that some folks have deep scars from their US built car ownership days.

Guarantee you this is a "before" picture.  Before 60,000 miles, that is.

(Image removed from quote.)

that car actually looks sick