Author Topic: Merged: Edgar Renteria to Detroit  (Read 897 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Merged: Edgar Renteria to Detroit
« Topic Start: October 29, 2007, 05:16:57 PM »
October 29, 2007, 03:44 PM ET
Tigers Heat The Stove - Renteria Acquired From Braves

by Will Carroll

The Tigers didn’t waste any time making the first big Hot Stove deal — assuming you don’t count the Alex Rodriguez opt-out — by trading for Edgar Renteria. The Braves receive Jair Jurrjens and Gorkys Hernandez in return.

I checked with BP prospect guru Kevin Goldstein who said, “Jurrjens is just 21 years old and has already proven the ability to hold his own in the big leagues. The Curacao native isn’t especially big or projectable, but what he is now is pretty darn good, as he throws a low 90s fastball, decent slider, and deceptive changeup. Scouts do wonder is he has a big league out pitch and see him as more of a No. 4 starter type – a role the Braves could use him in immediately.

“Hernandez hit .293/.344/.391 in the Midwest League this year for his full-season debut while also leading the Midwest League with 54 stolen bases. He’s an absolutely burner on the base paths, and also a spectacular center fielder with a plus arm. Despite the numbers, he’s still more tools than performance. He needs to either hone his approach to develop into a leadoff man, or develop more power (the bat speed is there) to become a dynamic power/speed combo. Very high upside, but obviously some risk. He’ll likely begin next year at High A Myrtle Beach.

Both players were going to be slam dunk top five prospects on the upcoming Detroit prospect rankings.”

Frank Wren’s first deal as Braves GM was made with his former boss in Florida, Dave Dombrowski, though sources tell me that this deal began with John Schuerholz and was discussed as far back as the trading deadline. The deal’s timing may have been a surprise, but off-loading Renteria and his $9m contract (plus $11m option for 2009) is one many had anticipated. The move solidifies the Tigers middle infield after moving Carlos Guillen to first and quickly shuts off the bubbling rumors of Alex Rodriguez to Detroit. For the Braves, this opens up a spot for Yunel Escobar, though Brent Lillibridge is still blocked unless a move to CF is made.

Offline UMDNats

Re: Merged: Edgar Renteria to Detroit
« Reply #1: October 29, 2007, 05:35:28 PM »
If I remember correctly, Renteria killed us last year. Glad to see him out of the division. But hopefully these prospets who they got in return don't turn into all-stars...

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #2: October 29, 2007, 05:36:43 PM »
Seems like a pretty even deal to me. I wonder how good Guillen is at first, though.

Offline ZIM4MVP

« Reply #3: October 29, 2007, 06:03:36 PM »
Gorkys Hernandez is going to be a great player in the league someday

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #4: October 29, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »
http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20071029&content_id=2287275&vkey=pr_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

10/29/2007 4:07 PM ET
Tigers acquire Edgar Renteria from Atlanta Braves

DETROIT -- The Detroit Tigers announced today that the club has acquired shortstop Edgar Renteria from the Atlanta Braves in exchange for righthanded pitcher Jair Jurrjens and outfielder Gorkys Hernandez.

"We are excited to add an all-star caliber shortstop in Edgar Renteria to the Tigers organization," Tigers President, Chief Executive Officer and General Manager David Dombrowski said. "Edgar is a quality player, proven winner and tremendous leader that solidifies our infield."

Renteria batted .332 in 124 games with the Braves in 2007, scoring 87 runs and collecting 30 doubles, 12 home runs and 57 RBI. He tied for third in the National League with a .332 batting average.

A veteran of 12 seasons at the major league level with the Florida Marlins (1996-98), St. Louis Cardinals (1999-2004), Boston Red Sox (2005) and Braves (2006-07), Renteria has compiled a .291 batting average (1934-for-6637) in 1,722 games during his career. He has scored 1,021 runs during his major league career, while he has collected 370 doubles, 24 triples, 117 home runs, 762 RBI and 274 stolen bases.

"Edgar is a premier major league player that is a great fit for our club," Tigers Manager Jim Leyland said. "I have a great history with him and I'm looking forward to being reunited with him."

Renteria has been named to the National League's all-star squad five times during his career (1998, 2000, 2003-04, 2006). Additionally, he has won the Silver Slugger Award for National League shortstops three times (2000, 2002-03) and the Rawlings Gold Glove Award for league shortstops twice (2002-03).

Jurrjens started seven games for the Tigers in 2007, compiling a 3-1 record and 4.70 ERA (30.2IP/16ER). In 19 starts with Double A Erie last season, Jurrjens finished 7-5 with a 3.20 ERA (112.2IP/40ER).

Hernandez spent the entire 2007 season with Single A West Michigan and he batted .293 (141-for-481) with 84 runs scored, 25 doubles, five triples, four home runs, 50 RBI and 54 stolen bases in 124 games.
Ugh.  The idea of the Bravos getting more prospects isn't something with which I'm thrilled.  Hernandez seems like another "toolsy" Brandon Watson/Endy Chavez type, but Jurrjens is legit.  He had a great K/BB rate in the minors.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #5: October 29, 2007, 06:16:44 PM »
Well, look on the bright side.  Not that Edgar was exactly a "Nationals killer", but he sure helped that offense.  However, what's the logic behind trading away half the farm system for Mark Teixiera (aka wanting to win now) and then trading away one of your key vets a month later?

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #6: October 29, 2007, 06:19:41 PM »
Teixiera, I would assume, was added simply to push the Braves over the hump for making the playoffs in 2007.  If they weren't in the playoff hunt, I doubt they would have done that.