Author Topic: Giants as World Series champs?  (Read 2614 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Giants as World Series champs?
« Reply #25: October 28, 2012, 08:30:16 PM »
Did any of the talking heads mention the long layoff before the series started?  I find it hard to believe that someone wouldn't have, but Joe Buck was going on during the pre-game about how everyone gave the Tigers the advantage before the series started, no one expected this, etc. etc.

It was discussed here and there but it hasn't been made too much of. They would probably talk about it much more if it were one of the media darling teams.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #26: October 28, 2012, 10:30:31 PM »
I can sing better than that rendition of God Bless America tonight

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #27: October 28, 2012, 11:38:57 PM »
Looks like it now!  :'(

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #28: October 29, 2012, 10:23:45 AM »
So weird to see the Giants win.  I feel like the Nats are a better team.  They had their backup catcher and utility infielder DH'ing for them.

Romo and Affeldt and crew got it done for them, though.  Our guys didn't.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #29: October 29, 2012, 10:35:59 AM »
Have teams named the Giants ever won the NFL and MLB championships in the same year?    I got tired of looking for the answer.   :P

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #30: October 29, 2012, 10:41:40 AM »
We are a nation of wussies. 

We are a nation of pseudo-macho guys complaining that we are a nation of wussies.

Lots of people doing this macho posing as the storm approaches. OK, just because you have a generator, it doesn't exactly make you Grizzly Adams. :mg:

Offline blue911

« Reply #31: October 29, 2012, 11:24:43 AM »
Have teams named the Giants ever won the NFL and MLB championships in the same year?    I got tired of looking for the answer.   :P

I read somewhere that this was the first time like named teams won a championship in the same year.

Offline Busta Mimes

• I'll Ram the hell out of you
« Reply #32: October 29, 2012, 11:45:38 AM »
After the NLDS, I thought about how the Nats owned the Giants during the reg. season.  Then I saw how the Giants seemed to get a hit (or two) whenever they needed one. 

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #33: October 29, 2012, 11:51:35 AM »
I just watched Phil Coke talking to reporters on MLN network and he wanted it so bad.  He was talking about how he poured his heart and soul into every pitch and how that's all you can ask of anyone.  He said he gave 110% and when you are only expected to get 100% you are getting more than you bargained for.  He's such a goofball most of the time that it was so wierd to see him like that.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #34: October 29, 2012, 03:16:09 PM »
it's amazing that 2 years after their last WS victory the only starters to repeat are Posey and Sandoval. 

Offline Coladar

« Reply #35: October 30, 2012, 03:30:26 AM »
it's amazing that 2 years after their last WS victory the only starters to repeat are Posey and Sandoval. 

Yeah, that fact was mindblowing. As someone who hasn't paid much mind to the Giants, I don't even see how it's possible, for a variety of reasons. How a team can win a WS and dump basically everyone. How a team that won a WS and dumped everyone can win again in two years. Why a team would do so; I don't remember the Giants being a team belonging to a nursing home age wise. It's an amazing fact and a testament to the Giants scouting, GM and managerial positions. I thought what the Marlins accomplished after 97 was stellar and a lightning fast redevelopment. They have nothing on the Giants in comparison.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #36: October 30, 2012, 04:42:30 PM »
Did any of the talking heads mention the long layoff before the series started?  I find it hard to believe that someone wouldn't have, but Joe Buck was going on during the pre-game about how everyone gave the Tigers the advantage before the series started, no one expected this, etc. etc.

The radio announcers did mention the long layoff once or twice.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #37: October 30, 2012, 04:46:17 PM »
Heard McCarver talking about Spahn/Mirachal going 16 innings each  ...  in the same game.   

In a 1920 regular-season match, Leon Cadore (Brooklyn Dodgers) and Joe Oeschger (Boston Braves) went at it...the match was called on account of darkness, scoreless...after 26 innings.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #38: October 30, 2012, 04:48:56 PM »
In a 1920 regular-season match, Leon Cadore (Brooklyn Dodgers) and Joe Oeschger (Boston Braves) went at it...the match was called on account of darkness, scoreless...after 26 innings.

Can I mention Harvey Haddix?    :P

Offline blue911

« Reply #39: October 30, 2012, 05:03:43 PM »

And now they're both dead. Too much of a coincidence for me.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #40: October 30, 2012, 05:16:22 PM »

Still probably the greatest hard-luck pitching performance ever.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #41: October 30, 2012, 05:19:09 PM »
Still probably the greatest hard-luck pitching performance ever.

May be a mindfact but I still think I listened to that game on my little Zenith transistor radio.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #42: October 30, 2012, 06:04:40 PM »

You can mention Harvey Haddix any time. Not only did Harvey "The Kitten" Haddix pitch the greatest game ever, but I used a Harvey Haddix model Rawlings glove until I hurt my arm and quit playing baseball seriously. Further, I had a "how to play baseball" text that included a chapter by Haddix on how to field as a pitcher: take one extra step after releasing the ball and come to an infielder's stance. Now, most pitchers just flop after they throw, and they are defenseless for an instant after the pitch.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #43: October 31, 2012, 08:41:28 AM »
When you get to the Series, that's what your ace does.   

Has this happened though, since the norm went from 3 to 4 days rest?  I mean, in the old days, three days rest was the norm. History is full of World Series when the ace pitched three games.   But since the norm went to 4 days rest, has it happened?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #44: October 31, 2012, 09:23:52 AM »
Has this happened though, since the norm went from 3 to 4 days rest?  I mean, in the old days, three days rest was the norm. History is full of World Series when the ace pitched three games.   But since the norm went to 4 days rest, has it happened?

I'm old.    I thought they all still did that in the WS.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #45: October 31, 2012, 10:05:56 AM »

Not much.  In part because not that many series go the full 7 games.  Also, because it's not often a team needs to do it.  You saw Sabathia go in games 1 and 4 a couple of years ago and probably would have gone in game 7 had it gone that far.  You also saw John Lackey come out of the pen for a couple of innings of relief in game 2 in 2002 then start both games 4 and 7.  More often of late, you're seeing guys go in game 1, assuming they didn't start recently in the championship series and then go in game 5 on full rest.  It hasn't really been since Curt Schilling in 2001 went 1-4-7 that you've seen that.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #46: October 31, 2012, 10:07:50 AM »
Curt Schilling in 2001 went 1-4-7

Good example, thanks.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #47: November 01, 2012, 12:27:10 PM »
Yeah, that fact was mindblowing. As someone who hasn't paid much mind to the Giants, I don't even see how it's possible, for a variety of reasons. How a team can win a WS and dump basically everyone. How a team that won a WS and dumped everyone can win again in two years. Why a team would do so; I don't remember the Giants being a team belonging to a nursing home age wise. It's an amazing fact and a testament to the Giants scouting, GM and managerial positions. I thought what the Marlins accomplished after 97 was stellar and a lightning fast redevelopment. They have nothing on the Giants in comparison.

To be fair, most of those position players were interchangeable and they sucked at baseball. The pitching staff has basically been the same since 2010 with the exception of Sanchez not being there.

Offline RL04

« Reply #48: November 01, 2012, 01:23:51 PM »
Giants as World Series champs

It should have been us.
I know there are some who believe we should just forget it and move on.
But this one hurts.

Offline Boss Dealwiler

• Hit the lights.
« Reply #49: November 01, 2012, 01:26:10 PM »
But this one hurts.

Somewhere there's a bridge abutment just waiting for you to drive your car into it at top speed.