Author Topic: 2011 Post Draft Discussion / Signing Watch  (Read 72914 times)

Offline houston-nat

Two of these signings are new.

@washingnats
The #Nats have agreed to terms with 4 players selected in the 2011 Draft: pitchers Taylor (David) Hill, Greg Holt, Dixon Anderson and Nicholas Lee.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Ha. Lee has been pitching in the GCL for a week now.

Anderson is new, though.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Of the Top 10 rounds... only these picks remained unsigned.

1.6 - Anthony Rendon - 3B/IF
1.23 - Alex Meyer - SP - RHP
1.34 (sandwich) - Brian Goodwin - OF
3.6 - Matt Purke - SP - LHP
4.6 - Kylin Turnbull - SP - LHP

Offline houston-nat

Offline hammondsnats

i'll have the larry david sandwich

Offline aspenbubba

Of the Top 10 rounds... only these picks remained unsigned.

1.6 - Anthony Rendon - 3B/IF
1.23 - Alex Meyer - SP - RHP
3.6 - Matt Purke - SP - LHP
4.6 - Kylin Turnbull - SP - LHP

Oh ....you mean the whole draft class.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Nats have now signed 24/51 draft picks

Break down is as follows (thanks to Nationals Prospects)

High School - 9 drafted - 1 signed
JUCO - 6 drafted - 1 signed
College - 36 drafted - 22 signed

Offline sportsfan882

Which HS guy signed?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Two of these signings are new.

@washingnats
The #Nats have agreed to terms with 4 players selected in the 2011 Draft: pitchers Taylor (David) Hill, Greg Holt, Dixon Anderson and Nicholas Lee.
Updated the OP.

Offline RD

Deion Williams is the HS guy signed.

Offline blue911

Deion Williams is the HS guy signed.

I saw this about his grandpa

He wore a necklace which he once identified to a reporter as being composed of "the second baseman's teeth"

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I saw this about his grandpa

Is his grandpa George Scott?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I thought it was

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Cool. When I was 8, I took a liking to steak and eggs because the Boomer had it for breakfast every day.  1967!

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Was looking for this thread in the farm forever, couldn't find it. Anyway, evo is going to make Ask BA today, can't wait for the answer.

jimcallisBA Jim Callis
Lead Ask BA question today! @evolution33: Has Purke gone to a summer league yet? If not, should #Nationals offer money he wants? #mlbdraft

Offline sportsfan882

http://ht.ly/5HzVr

No summer league for Purke.

Is there any update on Texas Christian lefthander Matt Purke? After the Nationals drafted him in the third round, general manager Mike Rizzo said the team would evaluate Purke in the Cape Cod League. But he hasn't popped up on a roster anywhere. Is he still going to participate for a few games? If not, what is his plan?

Robert Davis
    Buena Park, Calif.

After going 16-0 as a freshman and leading Texas Christian to its first-ever College World Series appearance in 2010, Purke entered this year as the No. 3 prospect in the draft, behind Rice third baseman Anthony Rendon (who went sixth overall to the Nationals) and UCLA righthander Gerrit Cole (the first overall pick by the Pirates). But Purke rarely was 100 percent this spring, battling back, blister and shoulder issues as his fastball and slider were less electric than in the past.

Some scouts believe Purke's main problem was that he didn't pitch last summer or fall, and thus didn't build up enough arm strength for his sophomore season. Others point to his delivery and express concern about the way he slings the ball from a low-three-quarters slot. Whatever the cause, Purke dropped to Washington as the 96th overall pick in the draft.

That's a far cry from 2009, when the Rangers selected Purke 14th overall out of high school. As we've recounted several times, team president Nolan Ryan and Purke's father Lawrence agreed to a $6 million bonus, but Major League Baseball controlled the club's finances at the time and refused to approve the deal. Texas reportedly made a last-second offer of $4 million, though it was never clear whether the commissioner's office would have signed off on a bonus that was still well over its $1.602 million recommendation for the No. 14 choice.

Purke, who missed a month with shoulder bursitis before returning for the final three weeks of TCU's season, has decided to spend the summer working out at home in the Houston area. Showcasing himself in summer ball would have made a decision easier for the Nationals, who had three of the draft's top 34 picks and used them all on Boras Corp. clients Rendon, Alex Meyer and Brian Goodwin. Their combined cost (including a major league contract for Rendon) could be in the neighborhood of $9 million.

Washington will have to determine what it's willing to pay Purke based on workouts and not extended game action. With four weeks remaining before the Aug. 15 deadline, I have no great sense as to whether he'll turn pro or return to the Horned Frogs. The Nationals gave out a draft-record $11.5 million in bonuses in 2009 and set a new mark last year with $11.9 million—and also committed an additional $11.3 million in guarantees included in big league deals for Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper—so they're not afraid to spend. At the same time, I don't believe the Purkes have any diminished belief in Matt's ability, and I could see him going back to TCU for his junior season with the belief that he can go No. 1 overall in the 2012 draft.   

Offline RD

That's my question! Sent that like two weeks ago. At least it got a response.

Offline HalfSmokes

Looks like a Purke signing is doubtful

Offline RD

My question is, with Houston in line for the top pick, does that give Purke extra incentive to go back to school? Playing at home could mean a lot for him.

I still think a lot can be learned from his bullpen sessions. If he's healthy(which we'll get a first hand look before a contract is signed) and has his velocity up, it's a worthwhile gamble for upwards of that $4mill discussed near the 09 deadline.

Offline hammondsnats

thanks for posting SF, good find.

LAC btw 8)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
i'll have the larry david sandwich

(Image removed from quote.)

:clap: :lmao: Great post, dude.  Got a good laugh.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
My question is, with Houston in line for the top pick, does that give Purke extra incentive to go back to school? Playing at home could mean a lot for him.

I still think a lot can be learned from his bullpen sessions. If he's healthy(which we'll get a first hand look before a contract is signed) and has his velocity up, it's a worthwhile gamble for upwards of that $4mill discussed near the 09 deadline.

Would Purke really go back because of this?  How much chance is there that everything goes so smoothly for him that he's the number one overall pick next year?  Health/durability and signability concerns have cropped up the past couple of years with him.

Offline HalfSmokes

Would Purke really go back because of this?  How much chance is there that everything goes so smoothly for him that he's the number one overall pick next year?  Health/durability and signability concerns have cropped up the past couple of years with him.

If the article is correct and he and his family think this year is a fluke and he has a good shot at being the number 1 overall with that bonus, then I don't see why he would settle for less than his demands. Not pitching this summer makes it seem like that's the plan

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Throw money at the problem!

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
Throw money at the problem!

Even if the Nats paid top dollar for Purke he still would cost less than Maya and offer a higher reward.