Author Topic: Magic Number: Angelos can suck it and like it  (Read 27635 times)

Offline santanaf

Re: 2012 Playoff Invoices
« Reply #50: July 25, 2012, 09:35:43 PM »
As knowledge of how STH status impacted postseason tickets in Cleveland...last decade as well as the 90s.

If you have full season tickets, you had first rights to purchase your individual season seats to all postseason games at a marked up price. Back in the 90s that was at a 250% markup on the tickets I know of for first round, and up to 400% for WS. Partial plan holders of 1/2 season had guarenteed tickets "near" their seats for 50% of the games, and in their seats for the other 50%. After that, it was all lottery. So lottery to partials first, then lottery to lesser partials, then lottery to full STH for extras, and finally lottery to non STH for whatever was like (probably like 42 tickets to each game).

You paid up front, and if you didn't want in on your seats, you got put in to the STH lottery to pick individual games. If they didn't play every game in the series or didn't advance, you applied the $$ to tickets the next season, no refund for STH tickets.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #51: July 25, 2012, 09:41:43 PM »
As knowledge of how STH status impacted postseason tickets in Cleveland...last decade as well as the 90s.

If you have full season tickets, you had first rights to purchase your individual season seats to all postseason games at a marked up price. Back in the 90s that was at a 250% markup on the tickets I know of for first round, and up to 400% for WS. Partial plan holders of 1/2 season had guarenteed tickets "near" their seats for 50% of the games, and in their seats for the other 50%. After that, it was all lottery. So lottery to partials first, then lottery to lesser partials, then lottery to full STH for extras, and finally lottery to non STH for whatever was like (probably like 42 tickets to each game).

You paid up front, and if you didn't want in on your seats, you got put in to the STH lottery to pick individual games. If they didn't play every game in the series or didn't advance, you applied the $$ to tickets the next season, no refund for STH tickets.

Bend me over Mr. Lerner, I can take it.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #52: July 25, 2012, 11:04:16 PM »

That's pretty much the way it is expected to work. Obviously there is a significant markup as these are limited and scarce tix in high demand. And it makes absolute sense that full STHs should have dibs on their seats for the playoffs. It would be unacceptable otherwise. If you own the whole season package for that seat, it should be your seat. Why should you have to give it up to somebody else? The reality is that if someone has only a partial package, they can't be guaranteed the same privelege simply because of the fact they are sharing that seat with others.

If there are two people with the same package vying for tix, it would make sense to use tenure as a factor in who gets a priority. But that is when all else is equal. If you compare a full STH to a partial STH, the priority goes to the former and they should absolutely have first dibs on their regular seats.

While I would certainly want someone who has been a partial plan owner for years to get some priority ahead of people who had just recently purchased packages, they can't expect to get preference over a full ST owner, period. That's not just because the full ST owner should have the rights to the seats they own, but also a simple matter of financial investment. The reality is that someone who has had say a 10 or even 20 game package for 13 dollar seats even since 2005 has only invested a fraction of what a full STH pays in one season.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #53: July 25, 2012, 11:14:10 PM »
1 year = 81 games x $22 (per seat is what I avg in infield gallery) = $173___
7 years of 20 games at $22 per seat is twice that amt!

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #54: July 25, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
1 year = 81 games x $22 (per seat is what I avg in infield gallery) = $173___
7 years of 20 games at $22 per seat is twice that amt!

True in that case, but not the example I was using. My comment was specifically about the idea that someone who had 8 years of 10 or 20 game packages for a 13 dollar seat suggesting in general that a new full STH should not get a access to a better seat for the playoffs. If someone had just purchased a full season package for a 45, 50, 55, 60 dollar seats (which covers the infield seats in the lower bowl and the S&S club), they are investing between $3645 and 4860 per seat for one season compared to between 1040 and 2080 over 8 years. There seemed to be some argument that having a longstanding package in the upper deck should give someone a chance to take a seat away from a full STH in a prime location. I don't buy that argument for a number of reasons, the financial aspect only being one consideration. In general, if you are buying a seat for a season, you should get first claim at that seat. The overall tenure and level of investment can be factored into the priority for everyone else.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #55: July 26, 2012, 12:02:09 AM »
Im not saying you shouldnt have your seat.  Im talking about the opportunity to get a seat!  You have to compare apples with apples.

I dont think any seats were $13!  The cheapest were 17 for Terrace seats (226).  Besides the more games you buy, the cheaper they are! 

There is something to be said for people who have made an "investment" in this team from the beginning!   Who stuck with this team thru the horrible years.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #56: July 26, 2012, 12:10:48 AM »
If Ive been a season ticket holder since 05 (even if its partial) I shouldnt have to be put in any f-n lottery and let someone who's only had a plan since Stras or Harper be guaranteed a seat.  I dont care if you're a full season plan holder!  Loyalty should be rewarded!  I was on the list for season tickets before the team and stadium deal was even FINALIZED!  I WILL GET PLAYOFF SEATS GUARANTEED (LIKE OPENING DAY).

I work longer for a company, my bebefits are better than those who joined the company later!

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #57: July 26, 2012, 07:31:51 AM »
My Cal - does this thread get your dander up ?

Using your logic, fulltime employees get better benefits than parttime employees.

So how do the Nationals handle more than one party sharing the same seat(s) with 2 or more partial plans ?

Then take into account seats that are distributed to the AL team, members of Congress, and other MLB dignitaries ...

This could be an interesting problem to solve - a resource allocation problem.  But teams go through this every year, so it will get resolved

If Ive been a season ticket holder since 05 (even if its partial) I shouldnt have to be put in any f-n lottery and let someone who's only had a plan since Stras or Harper be guaranteed a seat.  I dont care if you're a full season plan holder!  Loyalty should be rewarded!  I was on the list for season tickets before the team and stadium deal was even FINALIZED!  I WILL GET PLAYOFF SEATS GUARANTEED (LIKE OPENING DAY).

I work longer for a company, my bebefits are better than those who joined the company later!

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #58: July 26, 2012, 07:57:07 AM »
Total dollars spent over time is how colleges allocate seating priority but my guess is that the Nats won't take either the number of years or the total dollar value into 2012 into account for priority.  Full season plan holders will be allowed to keep their regular seats (with the possible exception of seats taken by MLB).  Partial plan holders will be given the chance to purchase seats that are likely a step down from their regular sections, but because the STH base is still fairly low, the team will have enough tickets available to get all of us in the door.  There will also be a good number of plan holders who don't want to fork over the cash required to purchase an entire post-season package, leaving plenty of tickets available for what will hopefully be a STH presale.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #59: July 26, 2012, 08:13:31 AM »
If priority is based on total outlay, they should all just go into a lottery for dc residents since they under wrote the stadium. I wholly expect them to screw over some constituency in order to maximize revenue- if I had to bet, I'd say they start selling end of the season partials with the right to buy playoff tickets edging other partial holders

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #60: July 26, 2012, 08:27:23 AM »
If priority is based on total outlay, they should all just go into a lottery for dc residents since they under wrote the stadium. I wholly expect them to screw over some constituency in order to maximize revenue- if I had to bet, I'd say they start selling end of the season partials with the right to buy playoff tickets edging other partial holders

More likely they will offer playoff priority for people who place deposits for 2013 plans.

As far as offering tickets to DC citizens, the local hotels and restaurants paid the extra tax and they'll expect to see a revenue bump with the playoffs, so it all works out.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #61: July 26, 2012, 08:38:51 AM »
Who gives a freak - buy your tickets and enjoy yourself.  This handringing is getting old.

Offline blue911

« Reply #62: July 26, 2012, 08:41:50 AM »
Who gives a freak - buy your tickets and enjoy yourself.  This handringing is getting old.

Henry Rodriguez will get first crack at all seats. Followed by Matt Stairs, Xavier Nady and Mike Bacsik.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #63: July 26, 2012, 08:47:10 AM »
Henry Rodriguez will get first crack at all seats. Followed by Matt Stairs, Xavier Nady and Mike Bacsik.

I thought they cleaned the stadium after the game, not before.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #64: July 26, 2012, 01:13:45 PM »
FULL Season ticket holders since 05
HALF SINCE 05
PARTIAL SINCE 05

The rest follow.

My friend who now works Part time at Giant (and has eorked for Giant for over 20 years both full and part time) has a better contract as far as overtime pay then those who came recently after.

She gets (I believe) time and a half for Sundays and holidays while new contract people only get a dollar more.

It does get my Dander up because thats why Ive kept my season tickets uninterrupted since 05!  Even through almost a year of unemployment in the hopes that steady longevity counts for something!

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #65: July 26, 2012, 01:15:40 PM »
Liquidate your savings and buy them from scalpers if you have to.  We're all going to die, enjoy it while you can.  Death to cheapness.

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
« Reply #66: July 26, 2012, 01:33:57 PM »
Death to cheapness.

I think MDS is threatening the Lerners!

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #67: July 26, 2012, 02:08:25 PM »
Full Season Plan - First crack at your seat
Half Season Plan - Random number generator to buy half the games
Partial Plan - Random number generator to buy applicable percentage

The rest of the tickets go to Cholula hot sauce, United, and the rest of the corporate sponsors.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #68: July 26, 2012, 03:06:34 PM »
I think a lot of STH groups won't be able to afford to go to all the playoff games. I suspect there will be lots of playoff tix on the resale market. So not to worry if you got the jack.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #69: July 26, 2012, 03:51:54 PM »
Resale will jack it up further.  93 All star Game - Baltimore - secondary market $400!

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #70: July 26, 2012, 03:57:56 PM »
You aren't doing it every week - splurge, you aren't taking it with you.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #71: July 26, 2012, 03:58:29 PM »
Resale will jack it up further.  93 All star Game - Baltimore - secondary market $400!

Yep. Whatever the market will bear.

It will be difficult for many "normal" STH to afford the face value. But it will be tempting to buy them up and resell them.

I will probably not end up going to more than a game or two. Taking the family of three will just be out of my price range for more.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #72: July 26, 2012, 04:06:04 PM »
Yep. Whatever the market will bear.

It will be difficult for many "normal" STH to afford the face value. But it will be tempting to buy them up and resell them.

I will probably not end up going to more than a game or two. Taking the family of three will just be out of my price range for more.

I'm counting on a bunch of sth's reselling and driving down prices to nearly face for cheap bastards like me who are willing to last minute it. I can't see them dropping below face since, in that case, I think most sellers would just keep the tickets and go to the game unless they are seriously over extended and just have to cut their losses

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #73: July 26, 2012, 04:06:55 PM »
You aren't doing it every week - splurge, you aren't taking it with you.

No, not taking it with me because the bills will take care of that.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #74: July 26, 2012, 04:08:13 PM »
No, not taking it with me because the bills will take care of that.

That's why I have $2m in life insurance.