Author Topic: can't stay logged in  (Read 4987 times)

Offline kimnat

can't stay logged in
« Topic Start: March 25, 2007, 09:46:56 AM »
Hey Guys,

How come everytime I leave this page, when I return I'm not still logged it.  It used to be that whenever I came to the website, I was automatically logged in, except for when Dan did something like delete the cookies or whatever.  Now, I have to log in every time I pull up our website.

Also logs me out if I refresh the page.  It says stay logged in "forever" when I do log it, but it never sticks.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: can't stay logged in
« Reply #1: March 25, 2007, 10:24:48 AM »
This site has been working great for me since the upgrade.  The MLB site's been horrible so far as having to login, but here, both home AND work, I've been having no problems.

I bet on your computer, you have checked an option to not retain cookies or something that is causing the problem.  Ken or Chief or somebody could help you better, but I would bet you've changed something security-wise on your computer.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #2: March 25, 2007, 10:54:51 AM »
BINGO!  I found a part that you can adjust a level of security, none, low, med., medhigh, high.  It was set at med and was restricting nearly all cookies.  So I lowered it and while it still block all from unidentifiable? sites, it allows ones like this.  I logged in and refreshed and didn't lose my log in status.  I'll try browsing to another site and coming back and then close my browser and see what happens.  Thanks Tom!!

Offline kimnat

« Reply #3: March 25, 2007, 10:58:51 AM »
Ok, it works until I close the browser.  Then I have to log in again, even when telling the thing to always keep me logged in.  I have a friend who's a really great IT guy, I'll ask him today when I see him online.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #4: March 25, 2007, 12:11:56 PM »
From your describing, I assume you're using Internet Explorer. In IE, you can goto the "Privacy" tab and leave the setting at Medium, and then after doing so, click on the "Sites" button, insert the forum's URL http://www.nationalsforum.net/ using cut-and-paste (or type it in) and click the "Allow" option. Once it's among the trusted sites, click OK twice to close Internet Options. This "should" help increase your security and keep the forum cookies working properly.

Just remember that although deleting the cookies will keep your Internet browsing private (and only until you visit that site again), some sites need you to allow cookies in order for them to be able to remember what options you have selected on that particular site.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #5: March 25, 2007, 12:22:41 PM »
BINGO!!!       :clap:  Thank you!

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #6: March 25, 2007, 02:46:08 PM »
Actually I've noticed the same thing from Internet Explorer.  I tried the solution you offered Ken and it's still not retaining the cookie on my end.  It's only been doing this for about a week...so it's something Chief has changed recently.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #7: March 25, 2007, 03:14:07 PM »
I haven't changed anything relating to sessions so I kinda doubt that.  As long as you're using nationalsforum.net it should be fine.  If you're using wnff.net you might run into some problems as I recently changed the way that URL handles the site, but since my poll led me to believe that almost everyone uses nationalsforum, I didn't think it would be an issue.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #8: March 25, 2007, 04:24:40 PM »
Actually I've noticed the same thing from Internet Explorer.  I tried the solution you offered Ken and it's still not retaining the cookie on my end.  It's only been doing this for about a week...so it's something Chief has changed recently.

There's also a possibility that the cookie containing the needed info might have gotten corrupted.  With IE closed, you could try removing the forum's cookie, found at:
C:\Documents and Settings/username/Cookies/username@www.nationalsforum[1].txt
(replace username with yours) and then coming back to have the forum create a new one. Often times that will fix a bad or corrupt cookie.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #9: March 25, 2007, 07:05:51 PM »
Ken, are you like the CIO or head IT guru of some big company?  Dang, you're super computer savvy.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #10: March 25, 2007, 07:52:29 PM »
LOLOL Nope, just an every day translator and consultant

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #11: April 15, 2007, 01:45:27 PM »
Hey Guys,

How come everytime I leave this page, when I return I'm not still logged it.  It used to be that whenever I came to the website, I was automatically logged in, except for when Dan did something like delete the cookies or whatever.  Now, I have to log in every time I pull up our website.

Also logs me out if I refresh the page.  It says stay logged in "forever" when I do log it, but it never sticks.

I started having this problem yesterday, and I haven't (knowingly) changed anything in my environment.  If I read a series of posts, then go back to find more to read, it kicks me out and I have login again.

So just navigating around within the site, I now have to repeatedly login time and time again.

Offline xposbrad

« Reply #12: April 19, 2007, 09:42:16 AM »
I have the same problem with this site and another forums site I go to. But I have about 10+ that don't have this problem. Not sure why either. I can never stay logged in either.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #13: April 19, 2007, 04:38:20 PM »
Unless you guys are somehow inadvertently clearing your cookies or have some kind of anti-spyware software installed that is doing it behind your back, there's no reason the forum should be logging you out provided you select "forever" to remain logged in when you initially sign on.  I haven't experienced any such problems since we switched to the new software, and I'm afraid to tamper with the cookie settings lest I cause MORE problems.

Any updates Kim or Tom?

xposbrad I just changed a few of the things that might have been affecting you, so let me know if you continue to experience this issue as well.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #14: April 20, 2007, 09:51:33 AM »
to back up what the Chief is saying, when I use Mozilla, I have no problems staying logged on. But when i use Internet Explorer, I begin to have difficulties.

In Internet Explorer, do Tools > Internet Options. Select the Privacy tab. If you are set to "medium" you may have difficulty with cookies getting wiped out when you refresh. So, on that dialog, press the Sites button. Add www.nationalsforum.net and press the Allow button.

Since I did this, all is good on IE.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #15: April 20, 2007, 09:53:57 AM »
And now I realized I'm telling you stuff you've already been told. I should have read the whole thread first. Sorry.
to back up what the Chief is saying, when I use Mozilla, I have no problems staying logged on. But when i use Internet Explorer, I begin to have difficulties.

In Internet Explorer, do Tools > Internet Options. Select the Privacy tab. If you are set to "medium" you may have difficulty with cookies getting wiped out when you refresh. So, on that dialog, press the Sites button. Add www.nationalsforum.net and press the Allow button.

Since I did this, all is good on IE.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #16: August 25, 2007, 11:20:20 AM »
I was having this problem and thought I had to create another post.  In fact what was really weird was I was always logged in from my work laptop even after disconnecting each day.  I thought at work it would be more secure but no.  :|

Here's what I did.  I allowed both nationalsforum.net and wnff.net/index in the privacy sites area.
Then I went to Trusted Sites.  I unclicked the box that said must have https to add.  Added both nationalsforum.net and wnff.net/index to those.  RECHECKED THE BOX that said MUST HAVE HTTPS IN THE LINK.  CLOSE OUT.

That's how I got it to work.  I don't know if it will work if I reboot but it should.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #17: August 25, 2007, 02:38:49 PM »
At the risk of jinxing myself, I have no problems unless I reboot. Then I have to log in again. And I have Verizon Internet Security Suite, which automatically wipes cookies and spyware. However, after an upgrade I did add the site to the trusted sites list of VISS, just to be sure..

edit...I also use IE

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #18: August 25, 2007, 02:42:12 PM »
As long as I put wnff.net, I no longer have a problem.