Author Topic: Another wild card team coming  (Read 2002 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Another wild card team coming
« Topic Start: September 24, 2011, 09:41:11 AM »
MLB and the Players union have all but agreed to add one more wild card team to each league starting next season.  A one-game playoff would determine who advances.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/postseason_pitch_SSiOAnu0pNi3chGX94ZGaM

I like the idea, it no longer makes winning the wild-card the equal of winning a division (except for home-field advantage).

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: Another wild card team coming
« Reply #1: September 24, 2011, 09:44:57 AM »
The one game playoff is idiotic.

I do like having an extra wild card.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #2: September 24, 2011, 09:48:40 AM »

A thousand times this.  Absolutely hate it.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #3: September 24, 2011, 09:52:05 AM »

I like the idea.  It spends a pitcher in your rotation which gives advantages to division winners.

A thousand times this.  Absolutely hate it.

Meh, go back to your garbage can you time-traveling dinosaur grouch.  ;)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #4: September 24, 2011, 10:05:10 AM »

I love it- it places an emphasis on winning the division and only penalizes the wild card teams. I prefer this to adding a bye

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #5: September 24, 2011, 10:18:57 AM »
Agreed with everyone. Penalizes Wild Card teams without slowing momentum of the Division winners.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #6: September 24, 2011, 10:20:18 AM »
Agreed with everyone. Penalizes Wild Card teams without slowing momentum of the Division winners.

By everyone do you mean 60% of the people who've commented so far? :lol:

I'll probably love it if/when the Nats ever win the division, but right now it just looks like another hurdle for this already handicapped franchise.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #7: September 24, 2011, 10:22:09 AM »
Bleh. In baseball I am not a fan of change. At least it is not as bad as when they got rid of the red line in hockey.

Offline PC

« Reply #8: September 24, 2011, 10:31:42 AM »
I LOVE the one game playoff!

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #9: September 24, 2011, 10:32:30 AM »
I'll probably love it if/when the Nats ever win the division, but right now it just looks like another hurdle for this already handicapped franchise.

or you could look at it as a shot to finish third in the division and make the playoffs. I think it helps and penalizes a franchise like the nats in equal measure- it makes the hill to climb a little lower, but adds an extra hurdle at the end.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #10: September 24, 2011, 10:44:29 AM »
or you could look at it as a shot to finish third in the division and make the playoffs. I think it helps and penalizes a franchise like the nats in equal measure- it makes the hill to climb a little lower, but adds an extra hurdle at the end.

Fair enough.  I guess I just don't like the idea of a clearly inferior team sneaking into the "real" playoffs on one game.  Don't a lot of people already complain that the 5-game format is unfair to division winners?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #11: September 24, 2011, 10:50:19 AM »
Fair enough.  I guess I just don't like the idea of a clearly inferior team sneaking into the "real" playoffs on one game.  Don't a lot of people already complain that the 5-game format is unfair to division winners?

that's why I like the 1 game thing- the lesser team has that extra hurdle. I also (maybe mind facting) feel like there normally is a clump of two or three teams with very similar records in the wild card race ahead of everyone else

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #12: September 24, 2011, 11:51:17 AM »
I love adding another playoff team (helps the Nats) but hate the 1 game playoff. How does one single game determine who is better? They should do at least Best out of 3.

That would suck to win 90 games and the wild card and then lose the 1 game and be done after 162 games of success.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #13: September 24, 2011, 12:00:02 PM »
Per the Bowtie, it looks like it could wait til '13.

Quote from: Ken Rosenthal
Players, owners in agreement that extra wild-card round would be one-game knockout, as reported by @joelsherman1. But players MORE want added wild-card teams tied to switch to two 15-team leagues. Extra round for 12 unlikely for now. More likely for 13. #MLB

The story Rosenthal refers to is here:
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/postseason_pitch_SSiOAnu0pNi3chGX94ZGaM

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #14: September 24, 2011, 12:12:05 PM »
I love adding another playoff team (helps the Nats) but hate the 1 game playoff. How does one single game determine who is better? They should do at least Best out of 3.

That would suck to win 90 games and the wild card and then lose the 1 game and be done after 162 games of success.

Hasn't happened much in the past few years but 90 win teams have been left out of the playoffs entirely throughout the entire history of the game.  It's better to have a one game opportunity to get in than to actually play 162, win 90 and be left out.

I think I'd prefer a 3 game playoff, too, but I think it incentiveizes  trying to avoid that one game.  I think they'll let it play out for 3 to 5 years and and if they need to switch it up, they always can.  It will create some intense exciting baseball and more of that is always a good thing.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #15: September 24, 2011, 12:19:23 PM »
A 3 game series penalizes the division winning team. Baseball players are creatures of habit. An extended break would only hurt the division winning team and give the wild card team an unfair advantage.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #16: September 24, 2011, 12:41:35 PM »

I love it- it places an emphasis on winning the division and only penalizes the wild card teams. I prefer this to adding a bye

+1

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #17: September 24, 2011, 01:03:48 PM »
I'm a 1 game wild card knock out round supporter.  helps the division winners.  Agree longer playoff throws off the rhythm of the division winners.  Also, a 3 game series would put the World Series even deeper into November.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #18: September 24, 2011, 01:08:28 PM »
I'm a 1 game wild card knock out round supporter.  helps the division winners.  Agree longer playoff throws off the rhythm of the division winners.  Also, a 3 game series would put the World Series even deeper into November.

Well, they've already done some things to try and avoid November baseball and there other things they could do if they wanted to switch to the 3 game format.  Like, 4 double headers per team, two at home, two on the road.  Something like that.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #19: September 24, 2011, 02:19:45 PM »
I'm surprised to hear JCA support this - just seems like another advantage for the Yankees

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #20: September 24, 2011, 02:44:46 PM »
I'm surprised to hear JCA support this - just seems like another advantage for the Yankees

Without giving it a lot of thought, I think I like this.  It's going to give new life to the AL East for sure, as now Baltimore, Toronto and the Rays can have a real shot at the last wild card slot even if the Red Sox and Yankees dominate per usual.

You could say the same for the NL East, albeit a far more subtle distinction.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #21: September 24, 2011, 02:45:12 PM »

It's an advantage for any team that wins their respective division. Puts a premium on winning the division.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #22: September 24, 2011, 02:52:41 PM »
It's an advantage for any team that wins their respective division. Puts a premium on winning the division.

I understand that but I still don't like it.  Guess we'll see how the first couple years go.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #23: September 24, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
I understand that but I still don't like it.  Guess we'll see how the first couple years go.

You'll like it if it's the Nats that win the division.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #24: September 24, 2011, 02:57:07 PM »
You'll like it if it's the Nats that win the division.

I have no faith in that happening, hence why I don't like it ;)