Author Topic: Deaths of famous people (2015)  (Read 16954 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Deaths of famous people (2015)
« Reply #176: May 24, 2015, 12:34:08 PM »
Dr. John Nash of "A Beautiful Mind" fame died, along with his wife, in a taxi crash on the NJ Turnpike.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #177: May 24, 2015, 03:06:09 PM »
Sucks. Game theory was a game changer.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #178: May 24, 2015, 05:25:50 PM »
Dr. John Nash of "A Beautiful Mind" fame died, along with his wife, in a taxi crash on the NJ Turnpike.
Sounds like they were thrown from the taxi.  A sucky way to die at any age but surely at 80+.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #179: May 25, 2015, 10:19:42 PM »
Anne Meara of Stiller & Meara fame died the other day.  Also I was surprised by this story.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/b-b-king-death-investigated-homicide-013348501.html

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #180: May 26, 2015, 09:27:45 AM »
Sounds like they were thrown from the taxi.  A sucky way to die at any age but surely at 80+.

Just a wacky guess here, but no seatbelts, right?

How could someone so smart be such a moron?  Are people riding the back seats of cars exempt from the laws of physics?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #181: May 26, 2015, 10:29:52 AM »
Just a wacky guess here, but no seatbelts, right?

How could someone so smart be such a moron?  Are people riding the back seats of cars exempt from the laws of physics?

Thank you, I thought the same thing.  The same with Bob Simon, I mean he'd been in war zones and he didn't think to do the one thing to make him safe riding in a car?  I don't get it, it's so automatic now, front seat or back seat, buckle up!!

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #182: May 26, 2015, 11:47:09 AM »
Thank you, I thought the same thing.  The same with Bob Simon, I mean he'd been in war zones and he didn't think to do the one thing to make him safe riding in a car?  I don't get it, it's so automatic now, front seat or back seat, buckle up!!

Perhaps he didn't want to.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #183: May 26, 2015, 11:52:13 AM »
Perhaps he didn't want to.

Oh I'm sure, I'm sure everyone that dies from being ejected from a vehicle didn't want to wear a seatbelt, it's just incomprehensible to me that you wouldn't want take that small little step to prevent your death. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #184: May 26, 2015, 11:56:46 AM »
Oh I'm sure, I'm sure everyone that dies from being ejected from a vehicle didn't want to wear a seatbelt, it's just incomprehensible to me that you wouldn't want take that small little step to prevent your death. 

I guess you won't be ridin' a motorcycle then?     ;)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #186: May 26, 2015, 12:16:25 PM »
I guess you won't be ridin' a motorcycle then?     ;)

Definitely not my thing  :lol: I had a boyfriend many years ago with some big Yamaha and I was terrified every single time I rode that thing until I finally said no more and I haven't been on one since, I didn't even feel comfortable in my husband's Jeep when he'd take the top and doors off, way too exposed for this scaredy cat :nervous:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #187: May 26, 2015, 12:26:17 PM »
Definitely not my thing  :lol: I had a boyfriend many years ago with some big Yamaha and I was terrified every single time I rode that thing until I finally said no more and I haven't been on one since, I didn't even feel comfortable in my husband's Jeep when he'd take the top and doors off, way too exposed for this scaredy cat :nervous:

Every time I ride, I walk around the bike before I get on.    I do that to remind myself of just how exposed I am.    It's a known risk and I'm willing to assume responsibility for my actions.

On your other point, I think insurance companies can help focus folks on things they should do.   My buddy was killed in a single car accident in Canada.   He took out a RR do hickey (one of the big ones with bells and lights, etc.).     His estate had to pay for the replacement of the RR property.   His insurance wouldn't pay because he was DUI.     If you smoke, you're health insurance should be capped.    If you wreck your car DWI, you cannot recoup any money for anything related to that accident.     In Simon's case, if the cabbie is paying the insurance, he can tell the passenger to buckle up or get out.   In all these cases, you assume responsibility for your actions and you pay accordingly.   In Simon's case, he paid a steep price.

(BTW they already have health care policies that don't cover injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident.    So, it can be done.)    I can hear the public screaming and whining now with insurance companies not paying for DUI accidents and seat belt violations.    "It takes away our freedom."     You're free to do whatever you want.    Don't ask the rest of us to pay for it.      :old:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #188: May 26, 2015, 01:08:07 PM »
Could get ugly...

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32881351
This LaVerne Toney dude sounds evil. He tried to get guardianship and was denied, he's been preventing King's family from visiting him, and there are allegations that money has been leaving BB King's bank account that was not going to the nursing home.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #189: May 26, 2015, 01:42:08 PM »

(BTW they already have health care policies that don't cover injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident.    So, it can be done.)    I can hear the public screaming and whining now with insurance companies not paying for DUI accidents and seat belt violations.    "It takes away our freedom."     You're free to do whatever you want.    Don't ask the rest of us to pay for it.      :old:

This is one area where Obamacare makes total sense.  Currently some dude crashes his motorcycle and gets hauled into Manassas General's ER, the hospital is going to take heroic measures to save his life even though in this hypothetical Joe Harley didn't have insurance.  In the vast majority of such situations the hospitals end up having to eat the cost, they aren't allowed to refuse treatment.  Obamacare plugs that hole by requiring insurance, allowing hospitals confidence (once the ACA is fully implemented) in treating otherwise indigent patients.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #190: May 26, 2015, 03:36:34 PM »
This LaVerne Toney dude sounds evil. He tried to get guardianship and was denied, he's been preventing King's family from visiting him, and there are allegations that money has been leaving BB King's bank account that was not going to the nursing home.

king was 89 with type II diabetes. If anything Toney had every motive to keep him alive since all that stuff is going to come out after he died

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #191: May 26, 2015, 03:39:16 PM »
This is one area where Obamacare makes total sense.  Currently some dude crashes his motorcycle and gets hauled into Manassas General's ER, the hospital is going to take heroic measures to save his life even though in this hypothetical Joe Harley didn't have insurance.  In the vast majority of such situations the hospitals end up having to eat the cost, they aren't allowed to refuse treatment.  Obamacare plugs that hole by requiring insurance, allowing hospitals confidence (once the ACA is fully implemented) in treating otherwise indigent patients.

or they let interns learn by performing heroic measures after the patient is already dead then try to bill the insurance company (my father apparently received open chest heart massage for 15k an hour after he had been pronounced dead - not by a surgeon or even an er attending, but by an intern). I'm convinced that no matter how a patient presents, hospitals will find ways to pad bills

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #192: May 26, 2015, 04:00:41 PM »
Motorcycle riders should be required to be organ donors. :couch:
Every time I ride, I walk around the bike before I get on.    I do that to remind myself of just how exposed I am.    It's a known risk and I'm willing to assume responsibility for my actions.

On your other point, I think insurance companies can help focus folks on things they should do.   My buddy was killed in a single car accident in Canada.   He took out a RR do hickey (one of the big ones with bells and lights, etc.).     His estate had to pay for the replacement of the RR property.   His insurance wouldn't pay because he was DUI.     If you smoke, you're health insurance should be capped.    If you wreck your car DWI, you cannot recoup any money for anything related to that accident.     In Simon's case, if the cabbie is paying the insurance, he can tell the passenger to buckle up or get out.   In all these cases, you assume responsibility for your actions and you pay accordingly.   In Simon's case, he paid a steep price.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #193: May 26, 2015, 04:25:13 PM »
or they let interns learn by performing heroic measures after the patient is already dead then try to bill the insurance company (my father apparently received open chest heart massage for 15k an hour after he had been pronounced dead - not by a surgeon or even an er attending, but by an intern). I'm convinced that no matter how a patient presents, hospitals will find ways to pad bills

I don't disagree with that.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #194: May 26, 2015, 06:15:42 PM »

I'm not marked as an organ donor but I'm sure if asked, the next of kin (the missus) will give them permission.    That's cool.    It won't matter to me.    Perhaps anyone who has the privilege of driving should be required to be an organ donor.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #195: May 26, 2015, 08:45:46 PM »
I'm not marked as an organ donor but I'm sure if asked, the next of kin (the missus) will give them permission.    That's cool.    It won't matter to me.    Perhaps anyone who has the privilege of driving should be required to be an organ donor.
If doctors know that you are an organ donor, they will let you die, or kill you to get the organs.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #196: May 26, 2015, 08:49:06 PM »
That is complete bull

If doctors know that you are an organ donor, they will let you die, or kill you to get the organs.

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #197: May 26, 2015, 08:51:28 PM »
 :hysterical:

But that's only if you don't wake up in a bathtub full of ice after picking up a supermodel in a bar

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #198: May 26, 2015, 11:29:53 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

:spit: thanks N2P, I needed that laugh tonight :lol:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #199: May 27, 2015, 02:42:33 PM »

I agree wholeheartedly...and I am one... but I would be one regardless... :thumbs: