Author Topic: Media Top Prospects Lists  (Read 8592 times)

Offline NJ Ave

Re: Media Top Prospects Lists
« Reply #75: December 22, 2011, 09:52:26 AM »
I would be surprised if any publication had us in the top five, or out of the top ten.

Victor Wang's interesting (ultimately probably pointless) exercise in assigning value based on player grades was originally published in The Hardball Times here:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/the-bright-side-of-losing-santana/

Basically, we seem to fall in the 5-6 range.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #76: December 22, 2011, 12:58:24 PM »
I would be surprised if any publication had us in the top five, or out of the top ten.

Victor Wang's interesting (ultimately probably pointless) exercise in assigning value based on player grades was originally published in The Hardball Times here:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/the-bright-side-of-losing-santana/

Basically, we seem to fall in the 5-6 range.

The top end talent would be hard to match, in any organization

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #77: December 22, 2011, 05:10:47 PM »
Where do you guys think the system ranks? I may have reached saying number one, but the top-end talent is certainly close

Not no more.  I'm guessing that Peacock, Norris, and Cole will all be top 100 prospects

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #78: December 22, 2011, 08:15:49 PM »
Not no more.  I'm guessing that Peacock, Norris, and Cole will all be top 100 prospects

Unfortunately :(

Offline blue911

« Reply #79: December 22, 2011, 08:24:18 PM »

Norris was #9 on the Nats. I doubt he'll stay in the top 100. 2011 was a hell of a draft.

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #80: December 22, 2011, 09:26:15 PM »
We still have the top prospect in baseball and I've seen Rendon in the top 20 in some rankings.  Goodwin, Meyer, and Purke could all make the top hundered too

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81: December 22, 2011, 09:38:47 PM »
Norris was #9 on the Nats. I doubt he'll stay in the top 100. 2011 was a hell of a draft.

Depends on the list.  Sickels had him #6.  Wasn't it Callis who said he expected the Nats to have 7 on his top 100 list?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82: December 22, 2011, 09:40:36 PM »
And Fitt addresses the question of the number of Nats in the Top 100. Lucky 7.

he said 6 to 9, but picked 7.  So Norris could sneak into the top 100 lists, especially after another good AFL.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #83: December 22, 2011, 10:31:49 PM »
here's one top prospects list after the GG trade.

http://topprospectalert.com/2011/12/13/2012-washington-nationals-top-15-prospect-rankings/

Meyer, Purke, Solis, and Ray are the only pitchers left in the top 10.  Hill and Turnbull are 14-15.

I keep hearing good things about Rosenbaum as well.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #84: December 22, 2011, 11:06:39 PM »
Rosenbaum is Lannan like

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #85: December 22, 2011, 11:10:45 PM »
Rosenbaum is Lannan like

i'd be happy with another Lannan out of a 22nd round draft pick.  If he keeps pitching like he has so far, he could be a September call-up next year.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86: December 23, 2011, 11:46:46 AM »
Nothing wrong with Rosenbaum being paid minumum wage and being a back of the rotation / syracuse starter for a few years.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #87: December 23, 2011, 11:59:30 AM »
Nothing wrong with Rosenbaum being paid minumum wage and being a back of the rotation / syracuse starter for a few years.

we actually need that now- it used to be our position of depth (which is sad in and of itself), but now with detwiler out of options and milone and peacock gone, the 'shuttle' spot starter/injury replacement is relatively thin (stammen and maya may be the only ones)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #89: January 23, 2012, 05:53:29 PM »
John Sickles says the Nats have the 14th best farm system overall, even after the Gio trade:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/1/23/2728027/2012-baseball-farm-system-rankings-prospects

Not bad.  I was expecting a bigger drop.

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #90: January 23, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »
Middle of the pack post-Gio is reasonable

Kevin Goldstein from BPro has his top 11 list in for editing so we should see that this week

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #91: January 24, 2012, 02:59:32 PM »
Middle of the pack post-Gio is reasonable

Kevin Goldstein from BPro has his top 11 list in for editing so we should see that this week

The Baseball Prospectus list is behind their pay wall, but Kilgore posted the names:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/washington-nationals-top-20-prospects-from-baseball-prospectus/2012/01/24/gIQADE4ZNQ_blog.html#pagebreak

Five-Star Prospects
1. Bryce Harper, OF (40-man roster)
2. Anthony Rendon, 3B (40-man roster)

Four-Star Prospects
3. Matt Purke, LHP (40-man roster)

Three-Star Prospects
4. Brian Goodwin, OF
5. Alex Meyer, RHP
6. Destin Hood, OF
7. Michael Taylor, OF
8. Steve Lombardozzi, 2B (40-man roster, 2011 call-up)
9. Robbie Ray, LHP
10. Sammy Solis, LHP

Two-Star Prospects
11. Tyler Moore, 1B (40-man roster)

Nine More:
12. Chris Marrero, 1B (40-man roster)
13. Eury Perez, OF (40-man roster)
14. Zach Walters, SS (Acquired from the Diamondbacks for Jason Marquis.)
15. Taylor Jordan, RHP
16. Josh Smoker, LHP (One of the picks the Nationals received when Alfonso Soriano signed with the Cubs. Failed as a starter, but has really impressed in relief.)
17. Jason Martinson, SS
18. Matt Skole, 3B
19. Sandy Leon, C (Invited to big-league camp)
20. David Freitas, C

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #92: January 24, 2012, 05:54:20 PM »
have a subscription

very complimentary towards Nationals

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #93: January 25, 2012, 10:26:48 AM »
Our scouting department is clearly the prize of the organization. However, Brian, would you agree that we've taken some major steps in terms of prospect development over the past couple of years (non-star prospects taking major steps forward have included Espinosa, Lombardozzi, Hood, Peacock, Cole, etc), or is it just a matter of consistently drafting more talented players?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #94: January 25, 2012, 10:38:25 AM »
Our scouting department is clearly the prize of the organization. However, Brian, would you agree that we've taken some major steps in terms of prospect development over the past couple of years (non-star prospects taking major steps forward have included Espinosa, Lombardozzi, Hood, Peacock, Cole, etc), or is it just a matter of consistently drafting more talented players?

Hook was a 1st round pick
Cole would have been a 1st round pick if not for bonus concerns

I think outside of those two, yes, the organization has started to develop players, as well as effectively scout the right ones to draft.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #95: January 25, 2012, 10:44:34 AM »
Hood was second round, no?

And I meant non-star in terms of the guys who don't come in like Strasburg, Rendon, Harper expected to be stars. I don't care if a prospect is a late first rounder, supplemental first rounder, or guy who fell due to bonus demands. There are only a couple of guys who are supposed to be "can't miss" in each draft.

For example, I wouldn't give our developmental program credit for Strasburg becoming a great pitcher, but I would give them credit for Goodwin becoming a major league CF, even though he was a high draft pick.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #96: January 25, 2012, 10:48:27 AM »
Hood was second round, no?

And I meant non-star in terms of the guys who don't come in like Strasburg, Rendon, Harper expected to be stars. I don't care if a prospect is a late first rounder, supplemental first rounder, or guy who fell due to bonus demands. There are only a couple of guys who are supposed to be "can't miss" in each draft.

For example, I wouldn't give our developmental program credit for Strasburg becoming a great pitcher, but I would give them credit for Goodwin becoming a major league CF, even though he was a high draft pick.

Gotcha.

I think Hood was a supplemental 1st round pick, but by your definition, he would be developed.

Honestly, I wonder how much developing of a guy you can actually do. At some point, they either have the talent that can be unlocked, or they don't.

I do think the Nats have done a wonderful job on refining raw players like Hood, Taylor and hopefully Deion Williams from athletes to baseball players.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #97: January 25, 2012, 10:59:35 AM »
Hood: http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?query_type=year_round&year_ID=2008&draft_round=2&draft_type=junreg&

Development is probably a loaded term. Sometimes maybe the best development is just not screwing naturally talented athletes up. For example, the way a pitcher automatically loses 7 MPH off his fastball when he enters the Orioles minor league system.

However, my gut reaction seems to be that we're having more success stories and less WTFIGO? stories as time passes. MINDFACT.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #98: January 25, 2012, 11:03:22 AM »
"Development" is being able to take raw tools and turn them into Major League tools.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #99: January 25, 2012, 11:14:28 AM »
Well yeah, but isn't a lot of development due to players' rather than the team's efforts? 99% of these prospects are working really hard because they want a multi-million dollar major league contract, and when naturally talented people work really hard at things, they tend to get better with or without organizational help.

I was just asking if we've made organizational strides towards better development, like new coaches, trainers, hitting/pitching philosophy (3 years ago I was convinced we didn't teach pitch selection to hitters) etc or if the difference is the caliber of the players we're drafting.