Author Topic: NFL Thread (2012-13)  (Read 53300 times)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Re: NFL Thread (2012)
« Reply #625: August 21, 2012, 06:02:44 PM »
Russell Wilson will start Seattle's next preseason game. Matt Flynn may end up being a highly paid backup.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #626: August 22, 2012, 12:56:57 AM »
Disagree.  RG3 played weaker competition in college and may throw far, but he's not the most accurate passer out there.  I'm all for believing in your team, but I see the Skins fans being greatly disappointed.

Baylor is in the Big 12, not exactly a dump. How good was the Big Ten again? Throwing competition around proves nothing. The big thing about Griffin is that he improved every season. His accuracy improved as did his other skills. Not only that, he's a pass first, run second qb and he fits the Shanny scheme. I honestly don't understand where you're getting this assesment from... Hell, if a mod wants, they can move this to the current Skins thread so as not to clutter the NFL one, but either way...
Back on point though, his accuracy was one of his stronger suits. The kid is a born leader, a hard worker in and very intelligent. I just don't get the doubt other than him just being a rookie. Honestly, I think at this point he's a far better qb prospect than Newton was at the same point. Obviously, at least speaking for me anyways, I was WAAAAAY off on my Newton assesment as I didn't think he'd be that good. Shows what I knew about him, but if people are expecting a rerun of last season for him, I think they'll be mistaken. Teams will scheme to shut him down. Doesn't mean they'll succeed, but this year will show how well he adapts to what the other teams throw at him.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #627: August 22, 2012, 08:45:51 AM »
The big 12 is a dump for producing nfl qbs recently- the only 'successful'  on is Bradford and he speds most of his time on the sidelines

Offline Tribe Time

• Long Live LYNYRD SKYNYRD!!!
« Reply #628: August 22, 2012, 09:54:21 AM »
Baylor is in the Big 12, not exactly a dump. How good was the Big Ten again? Throwing competition around proves nothing. The big thing about Griffin is that he improved every season. His accuracy improved as did his other skills. Not only that, he's a pass first, run second qb and he fits the Shanny scheme. I honestly don't understand where you're getting this assesment from... Hell, if a mod wants, they can move this to the current Skins thread so as not to clutter the NFL one, but either way...
Back on point though, his accuracy was one of his stronger suits. The kid is a born leader, a hard worker in and very intelligent. I just don't get the doubt other than him just being a rookie. Honestly, I think at this point he's a far better qb prospect than Newton was at the same point. Obviously, at least speaking for me anyways, I was WAAAAAY off on my Newton assesment as I didn't think he'd be that good. Shows what I knew about him, but if people are expecting a rerun of last season for him, I think they'll be mistaken. Teams will scheme to shut him down. Doesn't mean they'll succeed, but this year will show how well he adapts to what the other teams throw at him.

Other than the speed issue, he doesn't have an arm as good as Andrew Luck or Brandon Weeden.  Weeden is one of the most accurate passers out there.   Oh - and he beat Luck, RG3, and Tannehill this year.  Now, I'm not saying Weeden will be the best - far from it - but take away RG3's speed and escapability, and Weeden is better.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #629: August 22, 2012, 12:43:52 PM »
Other than the speed issue, he doesn't have an arm as good as Andrew Luck or Brandon Weeden.  Weeden is one of the most accurate passers out there.   Oh - and he beat Luck, RG3, and Tannehill this year.  Now, I'm not saying Weeden will be the best - far from it - but take away RG3's speed and escapability, and Weeden is better.

You're nuts. Griffin had probably the strongest arm in the draft for one, stronger than Luck's even. That said, Luck is the best qb in the draft, but I'm perfectly content with the second best one in the draft. As for accuracy, Griffin's accuracy got better every year he was a starter. He may never be Joe Montana or anything like that, but I think he'll be a helluva qb and have a much better career than Weeden... But hey, Weeden's gonna take the Browns to the Super Bowl :lol:

Griffin:

08 59.9%; 09 65.2%; 10 67.0%; 11 72.4%
Career 73 tds vs 17 ints.

Like I said, I'm not expecting a Super Bowl this year or anything, but I think he's gonna be a damn good qb and we're fortunate to have a back up like Cousins who I think will be pretty solid also.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #630: August 22, 2012, 12:50:47 PM »
I hope Wilson ends up the QB of the Seahawks. Would be really neat to see him rise from Benedictine, to N.C. State to Wisconsin all the way to NFL starter!

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #631: August 22, 2012, 12:54:06 PM »
I hope Wilson ends up the QB of the Seahawks. Would be really neat to see him rise from Benedictine, to N.C. State to Wisconsin all the way to NFL starter!

Yeah, there's a lot to like about Wilson. I don't know how good an NFL qb he'll be, but I can't help but like him.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #632: August 22, 2012, 12:54:31 PM »
I feel bad for Flynn- looks like he'll never get his shot

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #633: August 22, 2012, 02:00:40 PM »
You're nuts. Griffin had probably the strongest arm in the draft for one, stronger than Luck's even. That said, Luck is the best qb in the draft, but I'm perfectly content with the second best one in the draft. As for accuracy, Griffin's accuracy got better every year he was a starter. He may never be Joe Montana or anything like that, but I think he'll be a helluva qb and have a much better career than Weeden... But hey, Weeden's gonna take the Browns to the Super Bowl :lol:

Griffin:

Like I said, I'm not expecting a Super Bowl this year or anything, but I think he's gonna be a damn good qb and we're fortunate to have a back up like Cousins who I think will be pretty solid also.

Go compare his stats to that of Colt McCoy whom everyone says is "too short"/ "doesn't have a strong arm" ...etc...

Colt has better stats than RG3 did across the board AND nearly won 2 Heisman Trophy awards.

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #634: August 22, 2012, 02:09:35 PM »

Griffin:

RG3's were close to Weeden's - except '08.

'08 RG3 - 59.9%  BW - 33.3% (He threw 3 passes - 1 complete)
'09 RG3 - 65.2%  BW - 62.5% (Threw 24 passes.  15 complete)
'10 RG3 - 67%     BW - 66.9%
'11 RG3 - 72.4%  BW - 72.3%

Career TD/INT:  RG3 - 73/17   BW - 75/27

McCoy?

'06 - 68.2%
'07 - 65.1%
'08 - 76.7%
'09 - 70.6%

Career TD/INT:  112/45

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #635: August 22, 2012, 08:04:51 PM »
Go compare his stats to that of Colt McCoy whom everyone says is "too short"/ "doesn't have a strong arm" ...etc...

Colt has better stats than RG3 did across the board AND nearly won 2 Heisman Trophy awards.

College statistics mean absolutely nothing in the NFL.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #636: August 23, 2012, 08:38:59 AM »

And they were right about Colt...  He's got a weak arm and it shows. Teams can sit on short/medium routes because he can't get the ball deep. So what's your point? Griffin is/will be better than him. I think Weeden is a good qb, but at 28 years old, I'd much rather Griffin and Cousins. Better hope you can hang your hat on Richardson. He "should" be a stud.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #637: August 23, 2012, 08:50:43 AM »
College statistics mean absolutely nothing in the NFL.

This is very true, I was just trying to illustrate that Griffin improved on his accuracy every year he was in college. That's usually a good sign for a pro prospect. The lack of ints showed good decision making. I fully expect Griffin to struggle at times early, but he's shown the work ethic, smarts and leadership ability to overcome it and succeed.

And as for the silly ass McCoy vs Griffin reference? There's never been a question about Griffin's arm. Some thought he would be under 6' for whatever reason, but that also wasn't a concern as he's just over 6'2". I never thought McCoy was too short, but he's got a weak arm. It's the same thing that will plague Kellen Moore.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #638: August 23, 2012, 08:54:48 AM »
Griffin is also under an absurd amount of pressure given the recent success of rookie qbs and the amount paid to get him,  a playoff run is a realistic expectation- McCoy never had that kind of pressure

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #639: August 23, 2012, 09:13:40 AM »
Griffin is also under an absurd amount of pressure given the recent success of rookie qbs and the amount paid to get him,  a playoff run is a realistic expectation- McCoy never had that kind of pressure

I agree about the pressure, and I truly hope for a playoff run, but I'm a realist and the way the oline has looked thus far, I'm not feeling real good about it. That said, they've been playing sans a few starters so maybe not all is lost. I wouldn't be surprised if Alfred Morris makes his way into the starting rotation at rb at some point. He's easily the hardest charger or the backs right now. I swear he hasn't gone down on the first hit yet. Kid lacks speed, but damn is he hard runner.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #640: August 23, 2012, 09:20:15 AM »
by giving up so many picks to get him, they may have sacrificed a shot at an elite RT, they can get guards in the second, but the team has other needs too. Lack of depth isn't an excuse for not winning in the next couple of years since that was part of the equation when they made the trade

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #641: August 25, 2012, 03:43:07 AM »

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #642: August 25, 2012, 05:46:42 AM »

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #643: August 25, 2012, 07:52:06 AM »
And they were right about Colt...  He's got a weak arm and it shows. Teams can sit on short/medium routes because he can't get the ball deep. So what's your point? Griffin is/will be better than him. I think Weeden is a good qb, but at 28 years old, I'd much rather Griffin and Cousins. Better hope you can hang your hat on Richardson. He "should" be a stud.

His arm isn't weak at all.

You're entitled to believe Griffin will be better, but until Griffin proves it, I stand by the previous statement.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #644: August 25, 2012, 08:30:42 AM »

You're entitled to believe Griffin will be better, but until Griffin proves it, I stand by the previous statement.

Yeah, ok. You can keep trying to polish that turd, but at the end of the day, it's still a stinkin' turd. Colt McCoy has a weak arm and can't get crap done. Why else would they have used a first round pick on a 28 year old rookie qb? Griffin>>>>>>>>>>McCoy.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #645: August 25, 2012, 09:28:16 AM »
You can keep trying to polish that turd  ....

I'm gonna pilfer that line.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #646: August 25, 2012, 11:59:12 AM »

If Colt McCoy is such a magical quarterback, why did the Browns draft Weeden in round 1?

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #647: August 25, 2012, 03:01:29 PM »
If Colt McCoy is such a magical quarterback, why did the Browns draft Weeden in round 1?

This?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #648: August 25, 2012, 03:51:37 PM »
This?

He's OK now, though, right? I remember that play. One concussion forced the team to reach for Weeden in the first? I don't buy it.

(But I actually think McCoy is decent)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #649: August 25, 2012, 04:48:00 PM »
Colt McCoy isn't very good. Capable backup, yes. Long term starter? Ha.