Author Topic: Nationals-Orioles Rivalry?  (Read 11276 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Re: Nationals-Orioles Rivarly?
« Reply #50: February 20, 2013, 10:58:54 PM »
I like Fred too

And Billy!  You know, the quiet one!

Hey, I was 10 and had Baseball Fever!

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #51: February 20, 2013, 11:09:46 PM »
How anyone can bother hating the Orioles when there are Phillies, Mets, and Barves to save one's venom for is pretty much beyond me.  Angelos did this, Angelos did that...well, at least put the blame for DC not having a team for a generation where it really belongs (MLB).  Not that I really care one way or the other these days, but the Orioles were the ONLY show in town back in the day (most of you can't possibly understand this, as you probably aren't from here).  In the days of broadcast television, major league ball here consisted of a) World Series and league playoff series, and b) Orioles.  That's it.
Anyone in the DC area who wanted to watch baseball on TV could tune in to the Fox game of the week, to TBS, which broadcast numerous Braves games, or to WGN, which broadcast many Cubs games.  So there were always alternatives to the Orioles games on TV.

Washington should have gotten a team before Colorado, Tampa Bay, and Miami.  Denver supported the Rockies, but the latter two have been poor attendance draws.  Peter Angelos was a constant block to returning baseball to DC.  Selig is a jerk, but Angelos will never get a pass for what he did, including robbing DC of its TV revenues.  Bob Short awaits him, in the fires of hell.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #52: February 20, 2013, 11:23:15 PM »
Maybe in the 'burbs, but not in DC proper (at least until the early 90s). 

Anyone in the DC area who wanted to watch baseball on TV could tune in to the Fox game of the week, to TBS, which broadcast numerous Braves games, or to WGN, which broadcast many Cubs games.  So there were always alternatives to the Orioles games on TV.

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #53: February 20, 2013, 11:31:07 PM »
Uh, when I was 10 Color TV was for rich people and was lucky to get UHF to get Channel 20 and Channel 26.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #54: February 20, 2013, 11:57:42 PM »
IIRC, when I left DC in '86 we could get NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, sometimes channel 20 (whatever that was), and one in a blue moon you could make out a picture on 50 through all the snow.  No one I knew even bothered watching TV for the most part, though our friends out in VA & MD watched MTV and HBO until blood was pouring from their ears.  By the time I returned in the mid 90s, everyone had a million channels and just lay on the couch drooling and masturbating to infomercials like lobotomised apes.  Progress.  But yeah, you could get non-O's games by then, if you could find them amidst all the garbage pouring through that cable. 

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #55: February 21, 2013, 05:44:37 AM »
IIRC, when I left DC in '86 we could get NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, sometimes channel 20 (whatever that was), and one in a blue moon you could make out a picture on 50 through all the snow.  No one I knew even bothered watching TV for the most part, though our friends out in VA & MD watched MTV and HBO until blood was pouring from their ears.  By the time I returned in the mid 90s, everyone had a million channels and just lay on the couch drooling and masturbating to infomercials like lobotomised apes.  Progress.  But yeah, you could get non-O's games by then, if you could find them amidst all the garbage pouring through that cable. 

Yep, growing up in the 70s and 80s I watched a ton of Os baseball, just never rooted for them.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #56: February 21, 2013, 07:48:31 AM »
With no local team I gave up on baseball altogether for a long time. Rooting for the Os was never an option.

Same here - for my first 28 years' current residency here (1977-2004 inclusive) there was no team in DC but I never rooted for the Orioles - this isn't Baltimore and I don't support Baltimore teams any more than I do New York teams or LA teams or....

My first-ever live sporting event was a Senators home match at the then-DC Stadium in 1963 - that's a heritage I simply could not betray by supporting a Baltimore team.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #57: February 21, 2013, 08:03:42 AM »
Uh, when I was 10 Color TV was for rich people and was lucky to get UHF to get Channel 20 and Channel 26.

When I was 10   ....

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #58: February 21, 2013, 08:10:59 AM »
I never really had a favorite team. Not sure what year we started getting Cubs and Braves games, but I watched a ton of them. I remember games at Memorial. I spent summers in Cape Cod, and watched a ton of Red Sox games. I liked them, but never labeled myself a Red Sox fan like my brother did.

I was just a fan of the game. And I was prepared to strongly dislike anything that got in the way of bringing baseball to DC.

I'm just glad my son will grow up with a home team.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #59: February 21, 2013, 08:13:10 AM »
I lost interest in baseball after we lost our team in 1971. I followed other sports and fortunately the Wizards (in the '70s) and the Redskins (in the '80s) were quite successful. Sure, I would tune in to the MLB playoffs and the WS but didn't really follow the regular season. I went to the occasional game in Baltimore but never felt at home there.

When I moved to NYC in the mid '80s, I started to follow the Mets (yes, Davey's Mets) and caught baseball fever again. And then when I moved back to the area and my older son started to play baseball in the late '90s, I fell in love with coaching and the fundamentals of the game. But I still didn't follow MLB that much.

I was in Edmonton, Alberta, for a business conference when MLB announced (in 2003?) that the Expos were moving to DC. I decided right then and there that I would become a STH (as long as I could afford it) to make up for lost time. It's been a great ride ever since.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #60: February 21, 2013, 08:18:04 AM »
When I was 10   ....

when I was 10

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #61: February 21, 2013, 08:24:12 AM »
when I was 10

(Image removed from quote.)

That's why I played ball.  TV sucked.   To this day, I'd rather be outside in any kind of weather than watch TV unless it's sports related   ....  even then it can be a toss up.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #62: February 21, 2013, 08:30:25 AM »
I remember going to a baseball clinic as a kid and a couple of Orioles showed up.  Melvin and Milligan I think.  And I grew up in Northern Virginia in the 80's. 

Offline Rick

« Reply #63: February 21, 2013, 08:32:34 AM »
are most people here from DC itself or Virginia? How do Marylanders who live near DC feel about the "rivarly"?

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #64: February 21, 2013, 08:43:05 AM »
are most people here from DC itself or Virginia? How do Marylanders who live near DC feel about the "rivarly"?
Grew up a Mets fan in NJ, moved to the DC area in '93. Attended some Orioles games, Keys games, Cannons, Baysox. In its heyday when OPACY was a guaranteed sellout, Baltimore acted as if it didn't need/want the DC fans money. We were a "wine and cheese crowd" and accused of coming late and leaving early.

As attendance faltered, they marketed North VA a little more. But it was never my team;I've always been an NL fan.

Was excited about the Expos move to DC and put in a deposit that first November morning when were available.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #65: February 21, 2013, 08:52:28 AM »

growing up, I lived in Montgomery County when I lived here, navy brat, but I was here from 3rd-5th and 7-9th grades (that by far qualifies as my longest stretch anywhere). I was an Os fan- I went to games with my father and with friends, I remember cursing Jeffery Maier and rooting for Cal. Now I live in Alexandria, and I'm old enough to realize that the reason I used to have to shlep to Baltimore was Angelos and the Os, so I pretty much despise them

Offline Ray D

« Reply #66: February 21, 2013, 09:06:08 AM »

Maryland guy here. My sentiments have been well-noted.  ("Orioles are a garbage franchise in a garbage city, and we would not dignify them with a rivalry".)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #67: February 21, 2013, 09:26:27 AM »

Great question for a poll.

I recall seeing some data a while ago that indicated that NoVA residents were the majority of those in the park....

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #68: February 21, 2013, 10:20:14 AM »
Maryland (Montgomery County, Gaithersburg as my user name implies) fan here.

I consider where I live to be a DC suburb, not a Baltimore one. Montgomery County has a good fanbase of Nationals fans. Frederick, Carroll, and other counties North of here, not so much.

Offline blue911

« Reply #69: February 21, 2013, 10:36:22 AM »
Maryland (Montgomery County, Gaithersburg as my user name implies) fan here.

I consider where I live to be a DC suburb, not a Baltimore one. Montgomery County has a good fanbase of Nationals fans. Frederick, Carroll, and other counties North of here, not so much.

I blame Nathan

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #70: February 21, 2013, 10:40:29 AM »
All systems go for Junk-punch.

I blame Nathan

Offline Terps and Nats

• Wake me when the Braves series is over
« Reply #71: February 21, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
I grew up in Montgomery County, live in Frederick now.  I grew up pulling for the O's and going to games at Memorial Stadium and OPACY.  Even as a kid I always said DC should have a team, but I could never stop rooting for the O's.  After 1997, Angelos fired Davey, allowed Mussina to walk, and started signing washed up free agents such as Joe Carter, Sammy Sosa, Albert Belle (and on and on).  I lost my desire to go to O's games once Cal retired, and slowly found other things to do than watch them on TV.  Then he cried foul when DC finally got a team, and was allowed to claim the entire midatlantic as his "territory" I had had enough.  I got hooked on the Nats when I went to that first exhibition game against the Mets, and it's been a great ride.  I do get some taunts from my Bird Fan Friends who accuse me of "jumping ship".  It's all good though.  I still want the O's to do well, just not against the Nats. 

Oh yea and Frederick Co. is mostly O's country, but I do see quite a few Curly W's around town, and at the local stores. 

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Nationals-Orioles Rivalry?
« Reply #72: February 21, 2013, 12:19:42 PM »

I blame Nathan

Hey now, I'm the stronghold, the last bastion for Nats fandom in northern Frederick county!

Offline madj55

« Reply #73: February 21, 2013, 01:07:57 PM »
Great question for a poll.

I recall seeing some data a while ago that indicated that NoVA residents were the majority of those in the park....

Fairfax Station resident. NOVA loves the Nats.

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #74: February 21, 2013, 01:49:53 PM »
I like both teams. Even though I should hate the birds since their owner was sooooooo against baseball in DC. Technically living in MD I should call the O's my Home (homie) team but I consider the Nats my Homie team just as I did the Senators 2.0 (I'm too young for the Original Senators that became the Twins).

Right now there isn't much of a Rivalry but I think in a few years when the Nats are consistently contenders to the Pennant and the O's start getting back to consistently being like they were in the late 60s early 70s the Rivalry will be on full force. Probably will never be as big as the Yankees/Red Sox at least in the eyes of your average Joe Baseball fan. Technically there should be an Orioles/Yankees rivalry since many ancient moons ago those Damn Yankees were the Baltimore Orioles. In football there is sort of a Colts/Ravens Rivalry.