Author Topic: Strasburg in October..  (Read 44096 times)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Re: Strasburg in October..
« Reply #250: July 06, 2012, 08:50:45 AM »
Yup.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #251: July 06, 2012, 09:01:34 AM »
To take a page from the MDS playbook, certain posters in this thread need to eat a bullet.

Tomorrow is never guaranteed.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #252: July 06, 2012, 09:02:28 AM »
you can't shut a pitcher down and then bring him back like that, no.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #253: July 06, 2012, 09:06:22 AM »
Czabe was talking about this yesterday, he thinks that Stras will be pitching in the playoffs.  Apparently Manny Acta has commented that nobody in baseball believes that Stras will be shut down.  Davey isn't a young guy and he wants to win this year; when he was with the Mets they thought they were going to win multiple championships but fell short so that he knows that you go all out to win when you can.  Czabe also suggested that Stras will be a Yankee in a few years so why save his arm for them.  The suggested course of action is to phantom DL him for a few weeks and then bring him back for the final run.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #254: July 06, 2012, 09:09:14 AM »
To take a page from the MDS playbook, certain posters in this thread need to eat a bullet.

Tomorrow is never guaranteed.

we go from bottom dweller to having the hubris to believe we're going to be a perennial contender in less than a year- good time to be a nats fan

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #255: July 06, 2012, 09:10:13 AM »
Czabe was talking about this yesterday, he thinks that Stras will be pitching in the playoffs.  Apparently Manny Acta has commented that nobody in baseball believes that Stras will be shut down.  Davey isn't a young guy and he wants to win this year; when he was with the Mets they thought they were going to win multiple championships but fell short so that he knows that you go all out to win when you can.  Czabe also suggested that Stras will be a Yankee in a few years so why save his arm for them.  The suggested course of action is to phantom DL him for a few weeks and then bring him back for the final run.

While I'm not saying they wouldn't do it, I think it would be incredibly stupid to do it. We'd all love to see a WS in D.C., but at the same time, at what cost? What if we win it all but Strasburg goes Kerry Wood on us? Instead of one WS we could perhaps have several. I dunno man... I want so bad to have a winning team, it's been since the Terps won the NT, but I'd hate to do but sabotage the future at the same time. Is this damn near the definition of a Catch-22?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #256: July 06, 2012, 09:10:58 AM »
we go from bottom dweller to having the hubris to believe we're going to be a perennial contender in less than a year- good time to be a nats fan

:clap:

Sanity.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #257: July 06, 2012, 09:12:05 AM »
One REAL WS ring > 5 mythical WS rings

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #258: July 06, 2012, 09:12:50 AM »

I think people fail to understand that. 

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #259: July 06, 2012, 09:14:02 AM »
I think people fail to understand that. 

I understand that, but like I said, you can never know for sure. Hell, just because he pitches promises nothing.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #260: July 06, 2012, 09:14:20 AM »
Thing is, the most you could do by "stretching him out" is maybe get him all the way through September. But into October? No way.

I think they'll shut him down. And that's what I would do. I'm not anxious for a single drive into the playoffs - even deep into the playoffs. I'd rather see a winning team all season for the next four or five seasons.

Strasburg or no Strasburg, we're not beating the Yankees or the Rangers in the WS this year.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #261: July 06, 2012, 09:16:07 AM »
So if he pitches, it's guaranteed? Nah.

One WS ring is not worth a losing baseball team for five years.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #262: July 06, 2012, 09:18:01 AM »
So let me turn it on you. Just because Strasburg keeps pitching in 2012 the team is guaranteed to lose the next five?

The way people talk about the future you could throw next years team out on the field with/without Strasburg and we'd still be a big time winner.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #263: July 06, 2012, 09:20:49 AM »
While I'm not saying they wouldn't do it, I think it would be incredibly stupid to do it. We'd all love to see a WS in D.C., but at the same time, at what cost? What if we win it all but Strasburg goes Kerry Wood on us? Instead of one WS we could perhaps have several. I dunno man... I want so bad to have a winning team, it's been since the Terps won the NT, but I'd hate to do but sabotage the future at the same time. Is this damn near the definition of a Catch-22?

what if we shut him down, get bumped early this year and don't make it back?

looking at the world series since 2000, the Rangers Phillies Yankees Giants Cardinals and Red Sox have made multiple trips [payroll matters aside] just remember the fact that these are high payroll teams is irrelevant [/payroll matters aside]

The Diamondbacks, Mets, Angles, Marlins, Astros, White Sox, Rockies, Tigers, and Rays were one and dones. How many of those teams thought they were at the start of something big and would be back? Just because a team makes a run once doesn't mean they get a second chance

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #264: July 06, 2012, 09:27:50 AM »
Odd that the ones that made multiple trips had MVP winners too, huh.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #265: July 06, 2012, 09:28:17 AM »
what if we shut him down, get bumped early this year and don't make it back?

looking at the world series since 2000, the Rangers Phillies Yankees Giants Cardinals and Red Sox have made multiple trips [payroll matters aside] just remember the fact that these are high payroll teams is irrelevant [/payroll matters aside]

The Diamondbacks, Mets, Angles, Marlins, Astros, White Sox, Rockies, Tigers, and Rays were one and dones. How many of those teams thought they were at the start of something big and would be back? Just because a team makes a run once doesn't mean they get a second chance

There's a ton of what ifs. It appears that this is essentially a no win situation. Like I said, Catch-22. I would just hate to see his surgically repaired elbow getting screwed up to win now.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #266: July 06, 2012, 09:28:54 AM »

Who gives a crap?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #267: July 06, 2012, 09:29:57 AM »
Who gives a crap?

Nobody givers a rat's ass.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #268: July 06, 2012, 09:30:26 AM »
Nobody givers a rat's ass.

Are you Leo Davidson?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #269: July 06, 2012, 09:32:25 AM »

Last night they celebrated a WS win from 88 years ago, they didn't mention the teams that got close and fell short.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #270: July 06, 2012, 09:33:02 AM »
There's a ton of what ifs. It appears that this is essentially a no win situation. Like I said, Catch-22. I would just hate to see his surgically repaired elbow getting screwed up to win now.

Either way is what ifs, I'd be fine with either decision, but when local media insists that we'll be back next year and we're building something great, I think that's irrational

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #271: July 06, 2012, 09:34:42 AM »
So let me turn it on you. Just because Strasburg keeps pitching in 2012 the team is guaranteed to lose the next five?

The way people talk about the future you could throw next years team out on the field with/without Strasburg and we'd still be a big time winner.

No.  But the issue is risk, since neither winning this year nor winning any of the next five is guaranteed.  To me, the logic of the argument goes like this:

1. We are more likely to win when Stras pitches, in 2012 or any year after
1a. Gio-znn-ej is not as good as Stras-gio-znn in a playoff rotation.
2. Throwing Stras 220-ish innings this year increases his risk of injury by an unknowable but significant amount.
2a. Throwing Stras 220-ish innings this year increase the chances of winning the WS this year by an unknowable but significant amount.
3. The 2013-2015 roster as compared to the likely rosters of the rest of the NL East suggests we're likely to be competitive for the NL East division for at least those three years, if not all the way to 2017.
3a. Those chances decrease significantly if Stras is hurt in the longer-term.

So if you accept those assumptions above, the argument is do you push all your chips to the center now and hope that he doesn't break to try to win right now, or do you play longer term, maybe make a move to add payroll (Greinke) and add an arm who can step in and fill the gap and take your chances?

My vote is no.  It's an "eat your vegetables" argument, but I think as good as we look this year, we're likely to be better 2013-2017.  Don't risk a dynasty for a one-year win.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #272: July 06, 2012, 09:39:18 AM »

Czabe is a baseball idiot. Acta is an idiot to make that comment about someone else's team. Both just cemented their idiot status.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #273: July 06, 2012, 09:40:41 AM »
2b The rest of the rotation is healthy(and having career years) and if they finish that the year that way we have a good chance in the playoffs this year

3b there is no guarentee that Jackson resigns and that Gio and Zimmermann stay healthy and as effective as they are this year for the rest of this mythical dynasty

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #274: July 06, 2012, 09:41:53 AM »
All things considered, I'm just glad we can actually have this debate with out being laughed at. It's not even the Break yet so we shouldn't be counting our eggs just yet, but damn it feels good to win.