Author Topic: Davey Management Style  (Read 25986 times)

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
Re: Davey Management Style
« Reply #75: April 25, 2012, 05:00:31 AM »
Ankiel is hitting well right now, but he's not the best offensive outfielder. I know WNFF hates Werth, but c'mon.
I don't hate Werth. I just thought putting him in CF was a stupid idea.

He is paid to be a guy that drives in runs and hits...but I feel like Ankiel is doing everything better then Werth at this point.

That insurance run was big. Granted it doesn't happen if there isn't an error but still. Its nice to see a team have a guy who can pinch hit in a key position and come up with it.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #76: April 25, 2012, 09:49:33 AM »
Ankiel is hitting well right now, but he's not the best offensive outfielder. I know WNFF hates Werth, but c'mon.

I would argue he's our best defensive CF, right now.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #77: April 25, 2012, 09:49:59 AM »
I would argue he's our best defensive CF, right now.

I don't think anyone can argue that.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #78: April 25, 2012, 09:51:50 AM »
We need a you-know-what of that rocket he threw home.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #79: April 25, 2012, 09:53:43 AM »
I think Werth just plain stinks as an outfielder and that putting him in center is stupid.  Every movement he makes looks awkward, including his mishandling of the ball that led to the error. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #80: April 25, 2012, 09:55:43 AM »
I think Werth just plain stinks as an outfielder and that putting him in center is stupid.  Every movement he makes looks awkward, including his mishandling of the ball that led to the error. 

If he sucks defensively and he's crap at the plate, what the freak are we paying him for?  Turning on the female (and certain male) fans?  Looking lost after a strikeout?

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #81: April 25, 2012, 09:58:23 AM »
Werth has been ok offensively so far, but that error today was poor.

With a leftie starter yesterday I understand ankkkkkkiel getting the day off. I actually like ricks's defense, and when he isn't striking out every other AB, he's ok at the plate.

Offline loshjott

« Reply #82: April 25, 2012, 09:59:41 AM »
Anyone want to comment on Davey taking out basically our best defensive outfielder and ultimately the best hitting of our outfielders in Rick Ankiel last night?

If Ankiel is playing CF that error doesn't happen.

At least Davey realized his mistake and pinch hit at the right time to get Ramos home for the insurance run.

Ankiel is definitely my favorite outfielder so far.

Veteran managers - guys like Davey, Francona, Torre, LaRussa, etc. - will give players, especially veteran players, a day off now and then. That's just the way the are. The theory is that no single game in a long season is as important as keeping players fresh and focused during the six month grind of a season - and have them as sharp as possible if and when the pennant race heats up in September. They'll do it especially on a game before a day off to give veteran guys two days off in a row.

It's frustrating as hell as a fan to watch essentially a B team play on a Sunday afternoon before an off day but that's the way these guys manage. 

Offline Ray D

« Reply #83: April 25, 2012, 10:01:10 AM »
  Turning on the female (and certain male) fans? 
I don't even get that part.  Sorry, I don't mean to pile on ... but I don't see the attraction.  The caveman look?  He's not bad looking when he keeps the beard under control. But (a) with no beard, or (b) beard out of control -  in case (a) he looks like a nerd and in case (b) like a serial killer.

Wife and I debate this often: she think he's handsome with or without the beard, so go figure.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #84: April 25, 2012, 10:12:16 AM »
Wife and I debate this often: she think he's handsome with or without the beard, so go figure.

You've got me - he looks like a miserable prick, but that's just me.  A friend of mine almost bought a full season ticket in the RF bleachers just to look at Werth all season long.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #85: April 25, 2012, 10:17:22 AM »
I think it's the sensitive eyes.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #86: April 25, 2012, 10:31:57 AM »
I think it's the sensitive eyes.

Yes, he does have those Charles Manson eyes.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #87: April 25, 2012, 11:18:30 AM »
I'm worried about Davey's allegiance to DeRosa.  The GIDP in the first inning last night was as predictable as it was awful.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #88: April 25, 2012, 11:29:50 AM »
DeRosa seems like he is pressing. He's better than what he has shown by far. Clearly they are trying to get him going so every AB is not his only one of the game. Surprised about the 3 hole spot though. Still, couldn't help thinking that RZ the DP machine may have done the same thing. :u

Offline Ray D

« Reply #89: April 25, 2012, 01:03:15 PM »
Surprised about the 3 hole spot though.

I think in both cases he was a last minute replacement with no time to reorder the lineup and the 3 spot was the only place to put him.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #90: April 25, 2012, 08:20:29 PM »
I HATE how he pulls pitchers so damn early...

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #91: April 25, 2012, 11:22:58 PM »
I didn't get to listen to the game tonight. What was DJ's excuse for pulling Zimmermann after only 82 pitches in the 6th? Was he due up to bat?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #92: April 25, 2012, 11:26:56 PM »
I didn't get to listen to the game tonight. What was DJ's excuse for pulling Zimmermann after only 82 pitches in the 6th? Was he due up to bat?

He was the leadoff batter, yes.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #93: April 25, 2012, 11:27:20 PM »
I HATE how he pulls pitchers so damn early...

i think this year he's been pretty good.  JZ could've gone another inning yes, but some of his pitches were left up a bit towards the end.  I would've sent him out, that's just me. 

As for Gio last night, the offense was struggling and even though Gio was cruising ... he pulled the right lever. 

We're 14-4 we should all be pretty upbeat so far.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #94: April 25, 2012, 11:29:04 PM »

Due to lead off, was replaced by Lombo.

Honestly, I nag a ton about Davey's hook, but he is getting the results and thats all I really care about in the end.  Whatever he is doing right now is working, so I'll try to keep a lid on it until it stops working.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #95: April 25, 2012, 11:30:41 PM »

Honestly, I nag a ton about Davey's hook, but he is getting the results and thats all I really care about in the end.  Whatever he is doing right now is working, so I'll try to keep a lid on it until it stops working.

That's excusable in a one run game then. I would have just loved to see JZimm go out there for at least one more inning for my fantasy team though  :lol:

Offline PC

« Reply #96: April 25, 2012, 11:32:09 PM »
Yes, 14-4 is nice.  It would also be nice if we could get a little separation between us and the rest of the division.  Arizona did us no favors this week.  I want the same Arizona team that went belly up to the Braves and the Phillies to come to Washington next week!

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #97: April 25, 2012, 11:32:53 PM »
He was the leadoff batter, yes.

That's excusable in a one run game then. I would have just loved to see JZimm go out there for at least one more inning for my fantasy team though  :lol:

Well FU then!  :?

:P

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #98: April 25, 2012, 11:36:26 PM »
Honestly, JZ had already singled in a run earlier in the game - why not let him swing for laughs? Of course, the inning went well regardless, but I do understand the decision to bat Lombo. I just wish we were having this 'MLB-best' rotation get through the seventh inning more often.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #99: April 25, 2012, 11:38:15 PM »
Well FU then!  :?

:P

:lol: I didn't even see your post.  :hurr: