Author Topic: unemployment question  (Read 428 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
unemployment question
« Topic Start: July 29, 2011, 04:24:56 PM »
ok here is the deal. the restaurant i work at is closing this weekend and moving to a new location. i have no blue how long the move will take and I am not getting paid in the interim unless i get called in to help move stuff every once in a while. supposedly they want me back in the new location but I have a bad feeling about the whole thing based on what I have seen regarding the way the owners conduct themselves. but that is neither here nor there. what I need to know is whether or not i can file for unemployment based on this situation. any help here?

Offline blue911

Re: unemployment question
« Reply #1: July 29, 2011, 04:29:02 PM »
File. Make them tell you no.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #2: July 29, 2011, 05:40:09 PM »
I'm not so sure that is wise Blue.  You don't want to be the boy who cried wolf and have them Not believe you.  Besides, they check with the employer.  They also ask how much severence you got, when was your last pay check etc.  Also you may have to submit every week the names and contacts of companies you've applied to for work!  That's what I had to do in VA.  Besides, your boss takes unemployment ins. Out of your pay check.  Its that money that is due to you.  You can't collect until you lose your job.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #3: July 29, 2011, 06:57:33 PM »
so what are my other options here. i am not going to be getting paid at all while the restaurant is closed. and who knows how long that will be, or knowing them, if it even reopens at all?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: July 29, 2011, 06:58:48 PM »
so what are my other options here. i am not going to be getting paid at all while the restaurant is closed. and who knows how long that will be, or knowing them, if it even reopens at all?

Work like hell to find another job.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #5: July 29, 2011, 07:03:40 PM »
I'm not so sure that is wise Blue.  You don't want to be the boy who cried wolf and have them Not believe you.  Besides, they check with the employer.  They also ask how much severence you got, when was your last pay check etc.  Also you may have to submit every week the names and contacts of companies you've applied to for work!  That's what I had to do in VA.  Besides, your boss takes unemployment ins. Out of your pay check.  Its that money that is due to you.  You can't collect until you lose your job.
That's not true.  Every once in a while we get slow where I work and they ask people to voluntarily take a week of LoW (Lack of Work).  I've taken a week before and they (my company) gave us the information on how to collect an unemployment check for the lost week's pay.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #6: July 29, 2011, 07:04:03 PM »
well yeah thats a given tom. but I need some income until either i find a new job or this one reopens. bills dont stop needing to be paid.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #7: July 29, 2011, 07:09:21 PM »
Ask the unemployment office. If they tell you know, ask another one. Trust but verify.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #8: July 29, 2011, 07:49:49 PM »
 if you want to go back think before filing, it may royally piss them off if you file.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #9: August 03, 2011, 03:29:32 PM »
File. Make them tell you no.

I agree with blue. The state government -- elected by you -- runs unemploymenmt. They don;t have feelings, like "this guy is over-reaching".

Further, there is, and has always been, seasonal unemployment and unemployment during a temporary plant shutdown. That's what you have: the place of business is closed, it might re-open, but unless they are paying you right now, you are officially unemployed.

If the restaurant offers you work because you are registered as unemployed, that's good. It happened to me years ago when my taxi garage closed. I filed for unemployment, collected for about a month, and got a call from another garage (friends of my former boss) offering me work. No big deal, nothing personal.

UNless somene knows something astonishing, I would file.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #10: August 03, 2011, 04:32:05 PM »
My CalsGr8, you're such a worrywort.  There is nothing to lose here, except the state will want the unemployed to be ready and available to work in the entire job market area.  So the state will check to see if the unemployed is looking for work.