Author Topic: Alex Meyer and There Is No Such Thing As A Pitching Prospect (TINSTAAPP)  (Read 3044 times)

Offline NJ Ave

Ryan Zimmerman counts as a win in the "not needing the #1 pick" argument because he was never thought to be #1 pick material, but guys that went later than him DON'T count because at one point or another they were considered at #1?

Talk about "please, son".

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Ryan Zimmerman counts as a win in the "not needing the #1 pick" argument because he was never thought to be #1 pick material, but guys that went later than him DON'T count because at one point or another they were considered at #1?

Talk about "please, son".

You seriously don't understand??? Neither Rendon who went what? 6th? or Giolito who went around what? 16th? Were undervalued or something you can hang your hat on as being a super GM in getting. He made no shrewd moves to get either. They fell in his lap much like Harper and Strasburg. Do you give Rizzo accolades for drafting those two? Those guys aren't the ones people like Rizzo earn their stripes on, it's the Michael Taylor's etc and trades that get you Fister or Ramos that earn those stripes.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
As far as traded, highly regarded prospects pitchers making the seller regret it, yes, it is few, but I don't think they get flipped often this past decade.  I get what you mean, though. A name i'd mention might be might be Dan Haren, who the cards traded I think in the Mulder deal after his first partial year in the majors.  Truth, my first thought was Chris Carpenter, but then I checked and had not realized how many seasons of :spaz: he had with the BJs before he moved to St L.

Offline whytev

Reynaldo Lopez, Wilmer Difo, and Michael Taylor took some of the biggest steps forward of any prospects in baseball this year, and all have huge ceilings, so I dispute that Rizzo can't identify top-end talent without the first pick. See also: Rendon and Giolito.

The "first overall pick" canard is hilarious. Rizzo is just good at identifying talent (or empowering talented scouts who CAN identify talent).

I agree Rizzo is smart that way, but Harper and Stras are not options if you are a winning team.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

You seriously don't understand??? Neither Rendon who went what? 6th? or Giolito who went around what? 16th? Were undervalued or something you can hang your hat on as being a super GM in getting. He made no shrewd moves to get either. They fell in his lap much like Harper and Strasburg. Do you give Rizzo accolades for drafting those two? Those guys aren't the ones people like Rizzo earn their stripes on, it's the Michael Taylor's etc and trades that get you Fister or Ramos that earn those stripes.

Oh, I think you're under appreciating Rizzo's willingness, even aggressiveness in going after undervalued talents.  In the case of Rendon and Giolito, they were undervalued by other GM's shy of their injury history.  Rizzo calculated, gambled, or whatever that they would recover to previous ability.  So far the Rendon pick looks brilliant, and Giolito's on track to make Rizzo look good too. 

If anything, I think those two picks are so obviously successful that the door may be closing for that sort of pick, you're going to see other teams take more chances on guys with known issues, particularly pitchers with elbow problems.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Good for him.  Does he charge you rent for riding up his Hershey Highway?

:lmao:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Oh, I think you're under appreciating Rizzo's willingness, even aggressiveness in going after undervalued talents.  In the case of Rendon and Giolito, they were undervalued by other GM's shy of their injury history.  Rizzo calculated, gambled, or whatever that they would recover to previous ability.  So far the Rendon pick looks brilliant, and Giolito's on track to make Rizzo look good too. 

If anything, I think those two picks are so obviously successful that the door may be closing for that sort of pick, you're going to see other teams take more chances on guys with known issues, particularly pitchers with elbow problems.
Wasn't that the joke about this year's draft?  That the guys we picked near the top all were "Rizzo picks" because they had some injury history and slipped? 

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
The old joke was Rizzo character guys.