Author Topic: There are FIVE potential natural rivalry World Series' this year!  (Read 826 times)

Offline PC

Nationals-Orioles
Dodgers-Angels
Cardinals-Royals
Giants-As
Pirates-Tigers (yes, they're a "natural" rivalry...by force)

If these are the playoff teams, every team's "natural" rival would also be in the playoffs.  I'm sure that's never happened, since going to interleague play and I'll bet it never happens again.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Harper-Trout doesn't count?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Gawd, I hate the thought of the Oreos as a "natural" rival.

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
Gawd, I hate the thought of the Oreos as a "natural" rival.

Actually, a true rivalry can't be have domination by one team, so the Bucs vs Blows doesn't really work.  The O's have never knocked the Pirates out of contention for anything (Pirates 2 - Orioles 0 in the WS).  Kind of like the Pens vs Caps, no really rivalry, just jealously by the losing team.   :stir:

Offline houston-nat

Actually, a true rivalry can't be have domination by one team, so the Bucs vs Blows doesn't really work.  The O's have never knocked the Pirates out of contention for anything (Pirates 2 - Orioles 0 in the WS).  Kind of like the Pens vs Caps, no really rivalry, just jealously by the losing team.   :stir:
He said Tigers...

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
He said Tigers...

lol..i know, just couldn't resist tweaking the O's...and Caps...

Offline PC

And it did work out.  Every team's natural rival made the playoffs.

Offline blue911

I thought Dayton Moore was the Royals natural rival

Offline NatsDad14

Harper-Trout doesn't count?
By definition, a rivalry has to involve some level of competition and having both sides win. The competition is already over. Trout won by a wide margin. There is no rivalry.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
By definition, a rivalry has to involve some level of competition and having both sides win. The competition is already over. Trout won by a wide margin. There is no rivalry.

It's not over until their careers are over, or at least well on their way. These boys are just starting out.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan

What a nightmare of a career.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.