Poll

Who would you rather keep?

Adam LaRoche
68 (60.7%)
Michael Morse
44 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Author Topic: Morse or LaRoche  (Read 50859 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Morse or LaRoche
« Reply #775: December 30, 2012, 10:00:15 AM »
Not according to Rizzo throughout the re-sign Dunn and sign Fielder sagas, during which he indicated an interest in defense played at an elite level at the position as something so essential as to justify passing on the big bats and less than gold gloves of the aforementioned. 

Just his excuse. Fielder just wanted to talk about his vegetarian diet and Dunn was a bore

Offline madj55

« Reply #776: January 02, 2013, 08:07:44 PM »
If we sign LaRoche, what could we get in return for Morse?

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #777: January 02, 2013, 08:59:58 PM »
If we sign LaRoche, what could we get in return for Morse?

Maybe a controllable lefty reliever, a low minors pitcher with good upside, or a close to the majors guy with limited upside.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #778: January 02, 2013, 09:40:09 PM »
Maybe a controllable lefty reliever, a low minors pitcher with good upside, or a close to the majors guy with limited upside.

Ryan Langerhans?

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #779: January 03, 2013, 09:12:25 AM »

For a team that is a legitimate contender this year, the insurance Morse provides is more valuable than only of those parts.  Maybe keep Morse around until mid season when we know what we need. 

Offline Ray D

« Reply #780: January 03, 2013, 09:39:03 AM »
It makes me angry that we are talking about trading a 30hr .300/.350 guy for next to nothing. An all star caliber player, we should be getting that sort of value in return.  This makes me wish we had never acquired Denard Span - we would never have been in this  mess.  Could we trade Span?  Maybe we could get a number 1 prospect pitcher for him? Alex Meyer, perhaps?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #781: January 03, 2013, 09:51:34 AM »
It makes me angry that we are talking about trading a 30hr .300/.350 guy for next to nothing.
I promise you Rizzo isn't having this conversation.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #782: January 03, 2013, 09:54:12 AM »
I promise you Rizzo isn't having this conversation.
I'm comforted that you feel that way, but I don't share your confidence.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #783: January 03, 2013, 09:55:19 AM »
It makes me angry that we are talking about trading a 30hr .300/.350 guy for next to nothing. An all star caliber player, we should be getting that sort of value in return.  This makes me wish we had never acquired Denard Span - we would never have been in this  mess.  Could we trade Span?  Maybe we could get a number 1 prospect pitcher for him? Alex Meyer, perhaps?

this is why I dont think we sign laroche- it's one thing to sign him and trade morse if morse has value, but otherwise, now that 1st is the only open position, why not take the pick?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #784: January 03, 2013, 09:55:43 AM »
I'm comforted that you feel that way, but I don't share your confidence.
What indication do you have that he'd just give Rizzo away.  He's never done that, why would he start now?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #785: January 03, 2013, 10:04:48 AM »
What indication do you have that he'd just give Rizzo away.  He's never done that, why would he start now?
He gave away Willingham.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #786: January 03, 2013, 10:06:26 AM »
this is why I dont think we sign laroche

I agree.  But I think we'd have been far better off with LaRoche and Morse (and Meyer) than Morse and Span (an no Meyer).

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #787: January 03, 2013, 10:18:46 AM »
Staton

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #788: January 03, 2013, 10:32:35 AM »
He gave away Willingham.
Alright, I'll give you that one.  But that was three years ago. Every GM's gonna miss at times and he seemed to learn from that, as you'd hope a young GM would.  I'm not really concerned about him doing that with Morse.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #789: January 03, 2013, 10:41:46 AM »
We can always trade Span again next offseason if Goodwin is ready.  Plus we should get a high draft pick for LaRoche.  And getting Morse out of the outfield is a huge positive.

I don't think we gave Willingham away - it was just a trade that didn't work out in our favor.  Giving Willingham away would have been trading him for a LOOGY or something else with very limited upside.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #790: January 03, 2013, 10:55:07 AM »
  Plus we should get a high draft pick for LaRoche. 

We'll get a sandwich pick.  I don't know if I'd consider that "high".

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #791: January 03, 2013, 11:12:54 AM »
Somewhere in the 30s.  Lots of good players still available.  Also, we get more money to spend on the draft by getting the extra pick, which allows us to use more of the pool on a better player who slips to us.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #792: January 03, 2013, 03:19:45 PM »
Even though I voted LaRoche, I feel as if the Nats have passed on him.  I don't see a decent return for Morse, so I pray he is healthy and plays a damn good first base.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #793: January 03, 2013, 04:20:46 PM »
Who gives a crap - sign or GTFO.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #795: January 05, 2013, 11:51:37 PM »

Offline deeznatz

• http://www.amorica.org
« Reply #796: January 06, 2013, 10:15:55 AM »
For a team that is a legitimate contender this year, the insurance Morse provides is more valuable than only of those parts.  Maybe keep Morse around until mid season when we know what we need. 

THIS.  His value will be greater then as well as things shake out with other teams.  There could be a powerful contender that wants to make a run for a power bat and we're in business.  If Rizzo gives Morse away for peanuts before the season it will be his biggest mistake as Nats' GM. 

We MUST get value for this guy if we trade him.  He's a 30 homer .300 hitter.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #797: January 06, 2013, 11:01:40 AM »
At first I wanted LaRoche... Actually I wanted both, and then I wanted LaRoche. Then I downloaded Take On Me to my iTunes so I decided I wanted Morse to say. Now I just want there some resoloution to the issue.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #798: January 06, 2013, 01:45:40 PM »
THIS.  His value will be greater then as well as things shake out with other teams.  There could be a powerful contender that wants to make a run for a power bat and we're in business.  If Rizzo gives Morse away for peanuts before the season it will be his biggest mistake as Nats' GM. 

We MUST get value for this guy if we trade him.  He's a 30 homer .300 hitter.
I don't think many people here are talking about trading him unless we do bring ALR back.  I don't see a big "Tyler Moore for start at 1st in 2013" lobby on this board. 

If we did bring ALR back, then I'm not sure Morse as a spot duty backup to ALR and the OFs is going to do much for his value.  We have Moore for that.  Morse in that case is an expiring asset, with a sell by date of 7/31.  We don't even get Soriano-like compensation picks if we are holding him at the end of the year.  A Willingham like deal (bullpen regular and a position prospect who has 2 or 3 tools and some success) might be a reasonable return at that point.

Have people gotten so sour on ALR that even if he would agree to a 2 year contract, we'd tell him "too late"?

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #799: January 06, 2013, 02:03:14 PM »
I don't think many people here are talking about trading him unless we do bring ALR back.  I don't see a big "Tyler Moore for start at 1st in 2013" lobby on this board.... 
I expect that Merry Tyler Moore would hit 30+ homers and his defense at 1B would exceed Morse's. I have no problem giving him the job. LaRoche carried this team last spring, and Rizzo and Davey both know that.

I also expect that Morse will be out injured in April, (probably from running to the dugout at the end of an inning, or from walking across the dugout to get his Magic Bat from his humidor.)  So if LaRoche goes elsewhere, we'll be playing Merry Tyler Moore anyway.

Mary Tyler Moore nose we'll see More
Merry Tyler Moore in 2013

I do like Morse, but he may be too expensive for a bench player.