Author Topic: Willie Harris nostalgia thread  (Read 2695 times)

Offline Count Walewski

Willie Harris nostalgia thread
« Topic Start: August 08, 2012, 05:23:58 PM »
Reading the Roger Bernadina thread, it sounds like a lot of people on this site have a lot of Willie Harris stories.

I didn't follow the Nats when Willie Harris was playing in Washington, but I grew up following the White Sox in Chicago, and we had Willie Harris from 2002 to 2005. I remember he was nicknamed "Broadway" in the Orioles organization (where we got him from) because he was going to be a star. But in Chicago he was mostly nicknamed "Wee Willie" Harris for his size.

My favorite Willie Harris story comes from early in the 2005 season. This was one of the least productive seasons of Willie's career, and he was sent down to the minors. When the media interviewed him after this was announced he said "you have not seen the last of Willie Harris."

They were right. He made the postseason roster as a pinch-runner, and in that role scored the winning run in Game 4 of the World Series, giving Chicago its first MLB championship since 1917.

Willie Harris had an amazing run early in the 2003 season - I think he hit .400 in April and was still well over .300 on June 1. Overall, though, what I remember most is that he was very popular among casual female fans who thought he was cute. If you counted only the sale of pink jerseys, his jersey may have been one of the most popular.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Willie Harris nostalgia thread
« Reply #1: August 08, 2012, 05:45:53 PM »
Willie Harris has got the Mets talking to themselves!

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #2: August 08, 2012, 06:08:53 PM »
Reading the Roger Bernadina thread, it sounds like a lot of people on this site have a lot of Willie Harris stories.

I didn't follow the Nats when Willie Harris was playing in Washington, but I grew up following the White Sox in Chicago, and we had Willie Harris from 2002 to 2005. I remember he was nicknamed "Broadway" in the Orioles organization (where we got him from) because he was going to be a star. But in Chicago he was mostly nicknamed "Wee Willie" Harris for his size.

My favorite Willie Harris story comes from early in the 2005 season. This was one of the least productive seasons of Willie's career, and he was sent down to the minors. When the media interviewed him after this was announced he said "you have not seen the last of Willie Harris."

They were right. He made the postseason roster as a pinch-runner, and in that role scored the winning run in Game 4 of the World Series, giving Chicago its first MLB championship since 1917.

Willie Harris had an amazing run early in the 2003 season - I think he hit .400 in April and was still well over .300 on June 1. Overall, though, what I remember most is that he was very popular among casual female fans who thought he was cute. If you counted only the sale of pink jerseys, his jersey may have been one of the most popular.

For scoring the winning run in the game that clinched the World Title for the White Sox in 2005, Willie Harris is immortalized in White Sox Valhalla.

If you watch the MLB DVD for the 2005 World Series, Willie was quite a character.  He really cut it up on the bench and kept things lively.  Even if he wasn't an integral part of those White Sox teams, he was a great team mate.

And Willie Harris has nothing on Scott Podsednik when it comes to the "pink jersey" factor. 

The White Sox factor wears thin on this board from time to time.  I know that.  But I can't help what I am, and because of that, what Willie Harris means to us.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3: August 08, 2012, 09:35:20 PM »
For scoring the winning run in the game that clinched the World Title for the White Sox in 2005, Willie Harris is immortalized in White Sox Valhalla.

If you watch the MLB DVD for the 2005 World Series, Willie was quite a character.  He really cut it up on the bench and kept things lively.  Even if he wasn't an integral part of those White Sox teams, he was a great team mate.

And Willie Harris has nothing on Scott Podsednik when it comes to the "pink jersey" factor. 

The White Sox factor wears thin on this board from time to time.  I know that.  But I can't help what I am, and because of that, what Willie Harris means to us.

Willie was well liked here, though we all wish he were a better player.  Always hustled, great teammate, did whatever he was asked to do as well as he could.  Made some great leaping catches for us, including some game saving ones. 

Offline heeman82

« Reply #4: August 12, 2012, 10:54:18 PM »

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #5: August 13, 2012, 01:19:43 AM »
If you dont like Willie Harris, you hate America you dirty terrorist.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #6: August 13, 2012, 07:50:40 PM »
Whenever the Wee Willie got into a Nats game against the Mets, Ron Darling or Keith Hernandez would say, "Well, there goes the game. Harris will make another acrobatic catch in a clutch situation".

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #7: August 13, 2012, 09:35:43 PM »
True American hero

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #8: August 13, 2012, 10:26:44 PM »
Captain America.

I'm still angry he lost his job as pinch hitter to Matt Stairs. He did a good job for us and could play a good corner OF defense and pretty decent center field.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #9: August 13, 2012, 11:20:40 PM »
Early in 2008, I remember Willie Harris making some kind of spectacular play. I know his glove was at the Hall of Fame because of this play. I forget what it was - anyone remember?

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #10: August 13, 2012, 11:24:24 PM »
Where is the Willie American flag pic (paging Chief)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #11: August 13, 2012, 11:43:29 PM »

Offline welch

« Reply #12: August 15, 2012, 08:29:59 PM »
Early in 2008, I remember Willie Harris making some kind of spectacular play. I know his glove was at the Hall of Fame because of this play. I forget what it was - anyone remember?

I remember Willie making a game-saving catch diving toward the LF line in a game against the Mets. Don't remember the year. I think Willie threw himself at the ball and caught it with his glove on the ground while doing a one-hand somersault on his glove-hand.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #13: August 15, 2012, 08:45:18 PM »
I remember Willie making a game-saving catch diving toward the LF line in a game against the Mets. Don't remember the year. I think Willie threw himself at the ball and caught it with his glove on the ground while doing a one-hand somersault on his glove-hand.

And he did it without spilling a drop of his Pilsner Urquel.  Amazing catch.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #14: August 15, 2012, 09:03:46 PM »
And he did it without spilling a drop of his Pilsner Urquel.  Amazing catch.

While singing "Your a Grand Old Flag"

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #15: August 15, 2012, 09:15:26 PM »
While singing "Your a Grand Old Flag"

I'm pretty sure he was singing "You're a Grand Old Flag", because Willie has always been a stickler for spelling and grammar.

8)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #16: August 15, 2012, 09:19:58 PM »
that's true.  I'm just an American and not a great American because I lack Willie's grammar and spelling skills.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #17: August 15, 2012, 09:47:31 PM »
that's true.  I'm just an American and not a great American because I lack Willie's grammar and spelling skills.

;)

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #18: August 17, 2012, 10:49:06 PM »
Anybody remember his inside the park homer in 2010?  I was at the game, actually my first game at the park ever since it was my first year not being a poor college kid so I actually had some cash to spend on a game and drive down from dirty jerz.

Anyway, he was gassed coming around third!

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #19: March 15, 2017, 03:28:20 PM »
bump given TWO Willie Harris mentions this week.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #20: March 15, 2017, 03:36:11 PM »
I seem to recall the term "nipple shaver" being used to describe his trademark diving catches in GDTs  :lol:

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #21: March 15, 2017, 11:38:55 PM »
CLASSIC THREAD. All hail Wee Willie.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #22: April 17, 2021, 03:43:44 PM »
Captain America is now 3rd Base coach for the Cubs

Hero. He should have been given a World Series ring.

Offline welch

« Reply #23: April 17, 2021, 08:42:40 PM »
Captain America is now 3rd Base coach for the Cubs

Hero. He should have been given a World Series ring.

I still have his Mets catch in my head. I think, "Willie Harris", and there flashes Willie doing a one-handed side-wheel near the LF line on a "sure" drive, with the Mets announcers saying, "wow".