Author Topic: For the Expos Fans that Hate David Samson  (Read 3101 times)

Offline NatsAddict

For the Expos Fans that Hate David Samson
« Topic Start: September 08, 2006, 11:49:30 AM »
HYDE: Marlins president is a real crass act
Published September 1, 2006

As astronomers continue their discussion on Pluto, here's a question: On what planet is it considered funny for a company president to talk publicly and repeatedly about picturesography, sex toys, stripper poles and what he might do to a stranger's girlfriend?

Because that's the planet David Samson lives on.

The spoken language is oink.

Recently, the Marlins' team president gave another supposedly comic discourse on 790 The Ticket (WAXY-AM) that touched all the bases of women, sex and picturesography. This isn't uncommon. In the past, he has "joked" of having pictures Night at the stadium. He's "joked" of having a sex toy in his car. He's "joked" which players looked like pictures stars. (Do you see the thread here? And are you laughing yet?)

On this particular show, a male caller who said he otherwise enjoyed Samson's segment asked him to, "Please try not to be so derogatory toward women and lustful when you do the interview. I try to enjoy the show with my girl, and she's like, `Oh, that Dave Samson, he's a real creep.'"

"Don't be lecherous, Samson," show host Dan LeBatard said.

"I will try to be slightly less lecherous for his girlfriend," Samson said. "And if he would like to bring her to my office, we could definitely talk about my lechery."

Do people talk that way on his planet?

It's one thing for radio talk-show hosts to carry on like this. But it's another matter entirely for a top executive of a Major League Baseball team that caters to women, kids and families, that's trying to get a publicly funded stadium and that desperately needs the broader community to root, root, root for the home team.

Samson said on Thursday the show is "done completely tongue in cheek. It is a show where movies are reviewed and conversations are had all for the purpose of humor. We absolutely do not intend to have anybody take anything that is said on the show seriously."

He then gave this example: "We were talking of a [Marlins] promotion where strippers would give lap dances and I said, `No, it's much funnier if you have them work the foul pole.' If people think that is seriously a promotion ..."

What a moron he sounds like.

This isn't about political correctness. It's about class and common sense and simple good taste. And if Samson doesn't see it that way, hopefully Commissioner Bud Selig will soon.

This is the baseball season where Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen was keelhauled and sentenced to sensitivity training for calling a writer a homosexual slur in a random, off-the-cuff remark.

It's the one where New York Mets announcer Keith Hernandez was publicly reprimanded after wondering what a woman was doing in the San Diego dugout. Told she was a team therapist, Hernandez said, "I won't say that women belong in the kitchen, but they don't belong in the dugout."

Those were one-sentence incidents. Samson's is ongoing radio schtick. On another show, he was asked, "in honor of Maurice Clarett," what would police find in his car if he were pulled over.

"I think there's two things that would potentially be found," he said. "First one is Nina Blackwood."

She was an original MTV V-jay. Nothing wrong with having a dream date.

He continued: "Second one would be some sort of Austin Powers-like device. ... Austin Powers had a device that made everyone coo and was given back to him when he was unfrozen, and that's the device that potentially is kept in the trunk of my car. That's all I'm saying."

The device to which he alluded, as the movie Web site said, is a "Swedish-made penis enlarger pump."

To which Samson asked Thursday: "Is it against the law to talk about penis enlarger pumps?"

Didn't I have this discussion in seventh grade?

Let's be clear. Austin Powers talking about penis enlarger pumps? Funny.

The president of the Marlins talking about penis enlarger pumps, stripper poles, pictures and an anonymous caller's girlfriend? Utterly idiotic.

But not ha-ha funny. Strange funny. Weird funny. What-planet-is-that-guy-on funny.

Sun-Sentinel

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #1: September 08, 2006, 11:59:18 AM »
Wow I had no idea what a classless buffoon their president was.  That's pretty sad.

« Reply #2: September 08, 2006, 12:45:22 PM »
I believe women should be treated with respect and dignity.  I also believe there is a time and place for pictures.  But I find the situation hilarious.

"Strippers working the foul pole?"  :lol:

Who can actually take that as reality or take this seriously?

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #3: September 08, 2006, 01:14:42 PM »
Quote from: "Nat of the LivingDead"
I believe women should be treated with respect and dignity.  I also believe there is a time and place for pictures.  But I find the situation hilarious.

"Strippers working the foul pole?"  :lol:

Who can actually take that as reality or take this seriously?

This isn't just a one-time thing. Samson is like this every time there is a mic or a camera turned on.  Like Theisman, he never meant a microphone he didn't like.

As you said, there may be a a time and place.  But, as the president of a family entertainment venue, the place isn't in public.  Then, as the writer said, and Chief alluded, "It's about class and common sense and simple good taste."

Samson needs the Marge Schott treatment.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #4: September 08, 2006, 01:18:23 PM »
Quote from: "NatsAddict"
But, as the president of a family entertainment venue, the place isn't in public.  Then, as the writer said, and Chief alluded, "It's about class and common sense and simple good taste."

Right, this is exactly what I was getting at.  We all have our off-color moments among friends and/or close colleagues, but when you're the public face of a major sports team, you just can't say that kind of stuff all the time...  or ever, really.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: September 08, 2006, 01:30:50 PM »
Plus, it's pretty clear what he thinks about most of the time.  Man, get a life.

« Reply #6: September 08, 2006, 02:36:03 PM »
Jesus Christ.  Our public figures go out and get DUIs (Bowden, Paris Hilton, Gibson) and call people the equvilent of Nazi facists (our current presidential admin) and all we can write and complain about is some guy who likes the ladies a little too much?  

Where is my Anti-PC spray?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #7: September 08, 2006, 02:42:05 PM »
Jesus Christ.  Our public figures go out and get DUIs (Bowden, Paris Hilton, Gibson) and call people the equvilent of Nazi facists (our current presidential admin) and all we can write and complain about is some guy who likes the ladies a little too much?  

:lol:

The difference is, you can't do a damn thing about Paris Hilton or Mel Gibson (private citizens) and you can't really do anything about GWB at this point.  Bowden and Samson, however, can be held accountable and lose their jobs relatively easily.

« Reply #8: September 08, 2006, 02:51:14 PM »
Quote from: "The Chief"

:lol:

The difference is, you can't do a damn thing about Paris Hilton or Mel Gibson (private citizens) and you can't really do anything about GWB at this point.  Bowden and Samson, however, can be held accountable and lose their jobs relatively easily.

Actually, you can put Gibson and Hilton on the proverbial Hollywood "blacklist" and they would never work again.  However, both are proven cash cows so some greedy suit will always pick up what they are doing.  ALWAYS.  I mean cripes, the director of "Jeepers Creepers" has been caught, charged, and served jail time for child picturesography but yet has been handed a few million dollars to direct two big movies.  Go figure.

Bowden DUIed and didn't lose his job.  Ozzie Guillen goes on racial tirades, he still is coaching the World Champs.  T.O. is a bonafide douche and treats everyone else like a douche yet he is a Cowboy.  And now for the ultimate:  OJ Simpson butchers his wife and gets off clean.

And you think Samson is going to lose his job over talking about one of the oldest professions in history?  HA!  :wink:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #9: September 08, 2006, 03:07:20 PM »
Actually...  However...  Go figure.

You just proved my point

Bowden DUIed and didn't lose his job.  Ozzie Guillen goes on racial tirades, he still is coaching the World Champs.  T.O. is a bonafide douche and treats everyone else like a douche yet he is a Cowboy.  And now for the ultimate:  OJ Simpson butchers his wife and gets off clean.

And you think Samson is going to lose his job over talking about one of the oldest professions in history?  HA!  :wink:

Never said I thought he would lose his job, but it's certainly more likely to happen to him than to any of the people you named (aside from Bowden).  If you're a whiney PC-enforcer, you've got to pick your fights.

« Reply #10: September 08, 2006, 03:35:24 PM »
The current PC Revolution will crash and burn soon enough and freedom will reign once more where penis jokes and belching contests will no longer be oppressed.

Take it from my friend here, he says it best....

"What will you do without freedom?!"

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #11: September 08, 2006, 03:36:59 PM »

What does PC stand for, in the way people are using the word in this thread?

« Reply #12: September 08, 2006, 03:49:26 PM »
Quote from: "2k6nats"
(Image removed from quote.)

What does PC stand for, in the way people are using the word in this thread?

Politically Correct

"Political correctness (also politically correct, P.C. or PC) is a term used to describe language that is calculated to provide a minimum of offense, particularly to the racial, cultural, or other identity groups being described." ~Wikipedia

Offline The Chief

« Reply #13: September 08, 2006, 03:53:05 PM »
You'll get no argument from me.  Political correctness is retarded.  I'm just being a realist.

Offline expos96

« Reply #14: September 08, 2006, 04:12:49 PM »
May I conclude this discussion with two phrases :
Treat everyone like you would them to treat you or Don't expect respect if you give none?

What is the "Marge Schott treatment"?

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #15: September 08, 2006, 04:19:21 PM »
You'll get no argument from me.  Political correctness is retarded.  I'm just being a realist.

I agree in a way.  If someone is being a racist and saying things like "negro" or "nigger" of course thats just wrong.  But someone saying that its bad to call someone "black" you should call them "African-American" is just plain stupid.

But like it or not, celebrities have to be politically correct, with the exception of someone like Howard Stern

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #16: September 08, 2006, 04:32:10 PM »
Quote from: "expos96"
What is the "Marge Schott treatment"?

Marge Schott was a former owner of the Reds.  She was twice suspended from baseball operations, and facing a third suspension when she was forced to sell the Reds under the influence of influence.  The suspension/forced sale is the Schott treatment.

Her first suspension was for using a racial slur.  Actually, this seemed to be a habit for her.  After her return, she made a statement to the effect that some thing Hitler did were good, but then he went too far.  That brought on the second suspension.

I'm not sure what the forthcoming third suspension was for, but it may have been when the HP died in the 1st inning of the Reds home opener, and the umps elected to postpone the game.  She didn't show much compassion, and comments on how the umiring crew ruined her opening day.

Offline expos96

« Reply #17: September 08, 2006, 04:34:57 PM »
Wauw, some people actually think they can say weird stuff without any consequences.
Thanks for the explenation.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #18: September 08, 2006, 05:44:12 PM »
Quote from: "2k6nats"

I agree in a way.  If someone is being a racist and saying things like "negro" or "nigger" of course thats just wrong.  But someone saying that its bad to call someone "black" you should call them "African-American" is just plain stupid.

But like it or not, celebrities have to be politically correct, with the exception of someone like Howard Stern (Image removed from quote.)

It's one thing when a tv/movie/radio celebrity makes a fool of himself.  That person only represents theirself.

But Samson is the face and primary spokesperson for the Florida Marlins.  It's not a PC issue, it's that the guy is completely without any class or taste.  He doesn't just embarrass himself, but rather the entire organization he represents.  

It's not a PC issue, other than being degrading toward women.  There is no bigotry, no hatred, he's not even swearing.  Other than some women who may take offense, there is no hurt.  He's just a freakin' embarrassment.  And, like Schott, not just a few times, but every time he's on the air.