Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Ryan Tatusko, RHP  (Read 8986 times)

Offline houston-nat

Follow the Prospects: Ryan Tatusko, RHP
« Topic Start: April 26, 2011, 12:34:27 PM »
Basics
Ryan P. Tatusko, RHP
Born 3/27/1985 (Merrillville, Indiana)
Acquired from Texas Rangers for Cristian Guzman [2007 draft pick in the 18th round from Indiana State]
6'5", 200 lbs.

Career So Far
During four years with the Texas Rangers minor league system (three class-A affiliates and AA Frisco), Ryan Tatusko bounced between starting and relief roles, racking up 58 starts in 101 total appearances. In 2010, armed with a fastball that now reached 92-94 miles an hour, he posted a 2.97 ERA, 1.340 WHIP, and 5.4 K/9 in the hitter-friendly Texas League - allowing just two home runs in 100 innings.

So the Nationals acquired him, along with his teammate Tanner Roark, in exchange for Cristian Guzman midway through 2010. Tatusko's arrival in AA Harrisburg was nothing short of electric: six starts over which he pitched 36.2 innings, with a K/BB of 36/13 and a WHIP of 1.173. GM Mike Rizzo cited Tatusko's "great stuff" and "really good curveball" as inspiration for the trade, and no doubt his groundout tendencies as well: since the start of 2010, he's allowed 4 home runs in 149.2 innings (0.24 HR/9).

According to an interview at Federal Baseball (link here):
I owe 98% of my success [in 2010] to my altered mechanics. I started studying some game film of myself in A Ball and I noticed that I wasn't generating any power in my lower half, and I started working extensively with Indianapolis' pitching coach Jay Lehr alongside fellow Nat Drew Storen. I really worked on keeping everything in line and not rushing with my upper body, and doing that has allowed me to stay behind and on top of the ball and start generating my natural movement again. That natural movement, I believe has allowed me to keep the ball on the ground a lot more and have the success I've been having.

2011 has been a poor year for Tatusko so far, though - at least after just 3 starts. Those first three have totaled just 13 innings, thanks to 10 walks and 21 hits. Tatusko's still striking 'em out (11 Ks) and hasn't given up any homers, but - in his own opinion, on Twitter - "gotta figure out my 1inn meltdowns." On the other hand, he's "Building off the positives from last start, starting to feel better.....still got a lot of work to do."

Off the Field
According to that interview with Federal Baseball (link here):
I grew up in Noblesville, IN which is about 25min NE of Indianapolis. After attending Noblesville High School, I had Tommy John surgery then played 3 seasons with Indiana St University [when] I was drafted by the Rangers in the 18th round. My biggest role model was actually Nolan Ryan, so when he became apart of the Rangers' organization I was really excited....

He blogs at http://ryantatusko.tumblr.com/

He tweets at @RyanTatusko, where he has commented things like:

"I worked with mentally challenged kids all my life (since HS) I love every moment of it. As a matter of fact kid I became good friends with is in a wheelchair in Dallas, very hadicapped, yet he has taught me more about the human spirit [than] I could ever learn! Very very humbling" [photo below right attached]

Ryan Tatusko on the mound and off:

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Re: Follow the Prospects: Ryan Tatusko
« Reply #1: April 26, 2011, 10:16:13 PM »
Career So Far
During four years with the Texas Rangers minor league system (three class-A affiliates and AA Frisco), Ryan Tatusko bounced between starting and relief roles, racking up 58 starts in 101 total appearances. In 2010, armed with a fastball that now reached 92-94 miles an hour, he posted a 2.97 ERA, 1.340 WHIP, and 5.4 K/9 in the hitter-friendly Texas League - allowing just two home runs in 100 innings.

So the Nationals acquired him, along with his teammate Tanner Roark, in exchange for Cristian Guzman midway through 2010. Tatusko's arrival in AA Harrisburg was nothing short of electric: six starts over which he pitched 36.2 innings, with a K/BB of 36/13 and a WHIP of 1.173. GM Mike Rizzo cited Tatusko's "great stuff" and "really good curveball" as inspiration for the trade, and no doubt his groundout tendencies as well: since the start of 2010, he's allowed 4 home runs in 149.2 innings (0.24 HR/9).
:az:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2: April 28, 2011, 09:29:07 AM »
Another middling outing last night, in a Harrisburg loss which was charged to reliever Hassan Pena. Tatusko's line:

5.2 IP - 9 hits, a walk, a HBP
4 earned runs and 4 K's
He left the sixth inning with a runner on and a pitch count of 91.

Twitter discussion:

RyanTatusko
Worst April Ever!!!!! Holy cow.....

ScottStewart81
@RyanTatusko I have not been down to a game yet..have you just been having some control issues or whats up? i bet next month will be better

RyanTatusko
@scottstewart81 1 game I did, its just been 1inn that's crushed me every start.

Tonight it was a 3-run sixth inning, after Tatusko had kept Altoona scoreless through four and allowed a small-ball run on a single and some unlucky groundouts in the fifth. Then Tatusko racked up two quick outs in the sixth before giving up two doubles, a triple and a single.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #3: April 28, 2011, 12:40:14 PM »
yeah i saw he was looking good in the first few innings, it's a shame things didn't pan out in that one inning.  i still like the kid.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #4: May 04, 2011, 04:46:46 AM »
A little late with this but Ryan's latest outing was May 2 and it was good:

6.2 IP, 2 H, 3 BB, 0 R, 9 (!) K
6 of the 9 Ks were swinging, and 4 came in the first two innings. Bowie got their first hit in the fourth, and the most trouble Ryan got into was in the sixth, with a HBP and a walk, but he K'd the next guy and drew a flyout to center to end the inning.

Side note: Derek Norris threw out a guy stealing second.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #5: May 08, 2011, 05:13:33 AM »
Steps forward, steps back...

3.0 IP 9 H 5 R (4 earned) 1 BB 3 K
2 HR

The big damage was a pair of two-run homers in the second inning - which is as many homers (I think?) as he had had in Harrisburg this year or last 'til yesterday. For some reason, Ryan's game just wasn't working; all three leadoff hitters got on base, and although there were still some Ks, there were a lot of singles, too (and an error - a passed ball by Derek Norris that put a guy in scoring position). Ryan didn't return to the mound to start the 4th inning.

Side note: Derek Norris threw out a guy stealing second.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #6: May 09, 2011, 06:43:22 PM »
twitter.com/ryantatusko
Sometimes we make the simplest tasks harder than they should be. Had an ah-ha moment 2day......best bullpen this yr, cant wait 4 Wed

Offline houston-nat

Re: Follow the Prospects: Ryan Tatusko, RHP
« Reply #7: May 17, 2011, 02:19:33 PM »
A few days ago Byron Kerr wrote that Ryan Tatusko (and his 5.73 ERA) were headed to the Syracuse Chiefs, but that seems to have been incorrect. He's still in Harrisburg and Ryan Mattheus was called up to 'Cuse, to take Cole Kimball's place in the bullpen.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #8: May 17, 2011, 03:26:23 PM »
A few days ago Byron Kerr wrote that Ryan Tatusko (and his 5.73 ERA) were headed to the Syracuse Chiefs, but that seems to have been incorrect. He's still in Harrisburg and Ryan Mattheus was called up to 'Cuse, to take Cole Kimball's place in the bullpen.

No. He was called up. But it was a paper work move. He's been sent back down without actually getting to pitch.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #9: May 17, 2011, 04:36:49 PM »
And now some real news

twitter.com/ryantatusko

Movin to the bullpen, excited for the new venture.

Given his 5.73 ERA, maybe an attempt to reclaim his high-strikeout ways, but he did come out of the 'pen in half his games as a Rangers youngster.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #10: May 17, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
Damn, this was his only chance to make it so hopefully he excels

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #11: May 19, 2011, 09:09:30 AM »
Actual Anagrams for "Ryan P. Tatusko":
A Spank Tryout
Aorta Sky Punt
Sunk Toy Apart
Tar Up Yak Snot
Tanks Trap You

"Tanks Trap You" is pretty cool. Although I'm a big fan of "Aorta Sky Punt."

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #12: June 06, 2011, 12:50:49 PM »
Ryan's stint in the bullpen seems to have ended after two bleh outings. He's now made two consecutive starts which have looked like this:

4.0 IP 4 H 1 ER | 2 BB 4 K
6.0 IP 3 H 5 ER | 4 BB 3 K

Two steps forward, one step back...?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #13: June 12, 2011, 10:01:52 AM »
Bump: Looks like Ryan has a date with the AAA Syracuse Chiefs. He better bring flowers!

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #14: June 18, 2011, 04:53:34 AM »
In three relief appearances at Syracuse, nobody's scored on Ryan yet. 2.2 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 4 K

But more importantly he wrote a GREAT blog post about what it's like to be called up.
    My roommate came barging in my “room” and I use the ” ” because my room consisted of me blocking off a portion of the living room with black sheets so that I could have a little privacy. So my roommate came through my “door” and told me that I had to call the manager immediately. When I was told that, I asked if he knew anything and of course he didn’t so I called him with a million things running through my mind. He told me to pack my stuff because I needed to get on the road to Syracuse as fast as I could. With a million questions running through my mind, the only thing that I could think of to say was thank you and “am i up there for good or is this a short term?” I obviously knew the answer being “I have no idea” which no-one really does, because this is such a fickle industry...
http://ryantatusko.tumblr.com/

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #15: August 14, 2011, 03:33:27 PM »
Tatusko's numbers in Syracuse have been mediocre.  He's had 1 start in 18 appearances.  5.40 ERA (3.98 in his last 10 games), 1.79 WHIP (1.50 last 10).

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #16: August 14, 2011, 04:09:01 PM »
FIP is 3.77, but that's mainly because of the 0.29 HR/9 (his career is around 0.5). His K rate is about career average (6.6, below average but manageable), but his walk rate is 4.31, which is not good at all.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #18: October 10, 2011, 11:39:36 PM »
Ryan Tatusko will be on the Bravos de Margarita in the Venezuelan winter league, as a starter.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #19: January 16, 2012, 05:15:35 PM »
So I thought readers here might be really interested in Ryan Tatusko's blogging from the Venezuela Winter League in November and December, because he wrote a lot of stuff and it makes for really cool reading. In chronological order:

Baseball Games in Venezuela, Part 1 and Part 2
Clubbies, Food, and Atmosphere
My first 30 days

Some quotes...

One of the first things that I was interested about was the clubhouse culture and how that would differ from the United States. What I have actually found is that it really doesn’t differ at all, there is the traditional card playing, loud music, and people with headphones and laptops buried in their locker both in affiliated clubhouses and LVBP clubhouses. I would say the one major difference is that we have a pure tile floor in the clubhouse so if you come stomping around in your cleats after a particularly bad outing you are liable to end up on your butt.

very wise coaches have told me numerous times that the more time you spend about worrying about things you can’t control the more the things you can will go haywire and I have learned that lesson down here. I had a pretty bad outing tonight, no qualms about it and yes that happens to every pitcher and I can sit here and talk about why it happens, mechanics this, and pitch selection that but the fact is I was bad tonight that’s all, it happens. I believe that is only a failure of an outing if you didn’t learn anything from it, there is a lesson to be learned in everything we do; even baseball and tonight the lesson I learned is the value of attacking batters with what I believe is my best.

When I originally contemplated coming down here, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I could go back to giving to pitching lessons just like every other MiLB player does in the off-season and spend some very valuable time with my friends and family but I decided to come down here and work on Ryan the ballplayer and man am I glad I did....I firmly believe that this is the best preparation I could be doing for the 2012 season and I look forward to working on things to become a piece of the Washington Nationals puzzle at some point in the 2012 season.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #20: January 22, 2012, 08:22:01 PM »
So I thought readers here might be really interested in Ryan Tatusko's blogging from the Venezuela Winter League in November and December, because he wrote a lot of stuff and it makes for really cool reading. In chronological order:

Baseball Games in Venezuela, Part 1 and Part 2
Clubbies, Food, and Atmosphere
My first 30 days

Some quotes...

Thanks for this.  All of those blog posts were a good read.  (The only problem is that they made me have a craving for an arepa - can't seem to find a really good one in the DC area).

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #21: February 23, 2012, 07:18:09 PM »
Ryan got engaged last night.

As he says on Twitter: I wonder if I can convince @MegNgoz of a baseball wedding???? :) white suit w/red pinstripes instead of a veil a catchers mask. I got this!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #22: February 23, 2012, 08:02:33 PM »
Ryan got engaged last night.

As he says on Twitter: I wonder if I can convince @MegNgoz of a baseball wedding???? :) white suit w/red pinstripes instead of a veil a catchers mask. I got this!

Reminds me of the Bull Durham wedding.

Offline kingbob131

Ryan Tatusko Update from Spring Training
« Reply #23: April 03, 2012, 12:23:42 PM »

Ryan Tatusko, Pitching Prospect of the Washington Nationals, talks about Spring Training, his confidence, and what the upcoming season will provide.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #24: April 22, 2012, 09:49:46 PM »
Extended Spring Training - he's written a great blog about it:

I started working on some mechanical changes with one of the pitching coaches in spring training, and they liked the direction I was going but just felt that I needed more work which I understood. My mechanics got really out of whack somehow last year, and I am glad that the problem was addressed and I am even more grateful that fix was found extremely fast and I was able to work on things with a purpose. Extended challenges you in a different way, we are still down here day and in and day out just like you are at the affiliate but instead of going at things in the afternoon we do everything from about 7am-2pm which games starting at about 1pm daily. We go through our daily routines of pitchers fielding practice, team defense, and individual defense. There are some players down here who weren’t invited to normal spring training; which consist of extremely young Latin players that are getting their first taste of the United States and possible first time on an affiliated ball roster.

...Although the days can get long and sometimes bleak, the road to your dreams sometimes isn’t a straight line and if this is what it takes then so be it all you can do is clear your head, listen, and get better.  Something that a very smart person told me is that “All you can do it work harder” and this little saying has helped me a lot putting things in the right perspective, although you start to antsy being down here when you start to see a little progress you have to realize certain things are a process and if you stick with that process and not deter from the plan, you will be rewarded in the end.