Author Topic: TBS Picture Outages explained  (Read 1393 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
TBS Picture Outages explained
« Topic Start: October 08, 2012, 10:17:05 AM »
Turner: "The satellite sun outages have the potential to occur between Oct 4-12...[affecting] picture quality and sound" for minutes/day.[

Ourand_SBJJohn Ourand @Ourand_SBJ

Offline PANatsFan

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: TBS Picture Outages explained
« Reply #2: October 08, 2012, 10:22:19 AM »
That might explain why the feed went out on some but not all TVs (the local has 2 or possibly even 3 different systems in place for reasons that are not entirely clear to me).  I guess cable wasn't interrupted.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #3: October 08, 2012, 10:25:18 AM »
That might explain why the feed went out on some but not all TVs (the local has 2 or possibly even 3 different systems in place for reasons that are not entirely clear to me).  I guess cable wasn't interrupted.

It's the turner feed from THEIR satellite to providers. My Comcast went out. The SD feed stayed on, lower bandwidth is my guess.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: October 08, 2012, 12:14:37 PM »
TBS's camera work was terrible last night.  We never did get a decent replay of the "bad hop" that ate up LaRoche.  I put it in quotes because that's what they said it was, but they never showed us an angle where you could see it.

Likewise the error by the Cards at SS on Morse's grounder.  Took about 4 different angles before finally you saw the ball hit the guy somewhere in the hat/head area, but still not clear at all.

Poor work on Desmond scoring on Moore's single too.  All in all it was an inferior production.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #5: October 08, 2012, 12:25:10 PM »
It's not like TBS doesn't do baseball regularly.  This is ridiculous. There are regional sports networks with better production. 

• babble on
« Reply #6: October 08, 2012, 12:27:19 PM »
I guess they figured that since the Barves were out, they might as well dedicate their a-team to competitive catfish noodling and let the interns take on baseball.

Offline grizzly

« Reply #7: October 08, 2012, 12:29:49 PM »
This looks like a good place to post this:

Does anyone know of a good, live online stream to watch the games?  Not having cable television is hurting me.

• babble on
« Reply #8: October 08, 2012, 12:33:52 PM »
I guess the NLCS will be carried by FOX?  At least that is broadcast.

Offline danjros

« Reply #9: October 08, 2012, 12:39:24 PM »
This looks like a good place to post this:

Does anyone know of a good, live online stream to watch the games?  Not having cable television is hurting me.

postseason.tv is $5 for what they call "companion" coverage for the division series and ALCS.  It is not the TBS broadcast but you can watch different camera angles streaming live and hear the tv audio.  There is a "quad" view that shows 4 different camera angles at once.  Quality I thought was pretty good.  You can watch batting practice before the game as well.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #10: October 08, 2012, 12:50:33 PM »
I was listening to the game on XM radio as we were driving across West Virginia on the way home from a trip to Ohio. A few times I lost the signal due to the mountains, which is to be expected (especially on the twisty segments near Seneca Rocks), but then when we stopped for gas in Moorefield XM itself ran a "technical difficulties" message saying they had lost the signal (and changing the channel to the Cardinals' feed didn't help either). The signal returned 15 or 20 minutes later. I assumed it was bad weather somewhere, but you know, this thread reminds me that either this past spring or last year during an exhibition game in Viera MASN put up a graphic saying they'd lose some part of the feed (don't remember if it was video or audio) at a very specific time and Carpenter explained that there was this peculiar issue. Guess it's not as unique as I thought at the time.

So it wasn't just a TV issue.

Offline grizzly

« Reply #11: October 08, 2012, 12:52:39 PM »
postseason.tv is $5 for what they call "companion" coverage for the division series and ALCS.  It is not the TBS broadcast but you can watch different camera angles streaming live and hear the tv audio.  There is a "quad" view that shows 4 different camera angles at once.  Quality I thought was pretty good.  You can watch batting practice before the game as well.

Oh that's awesome, thanks!

Edit:  will this work if i live in the DC metro area?

Offline danjros

« Reply #12: October 08, 2012, 12:59:13 PM »
Yes the actual broadcast from TBS is blacked out in the entire US, but the live feed is not.  For $5 its not bad at all.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #13: October 08, 2012, 01:16:53 PM »
I guess the NLCS will be carried by FOX?  At least that is broadcast.

FOX gets the ALCS and World Series.  TBS has the NLCS.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #14: October 08, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
Sun Monster

:shock:

Offline GoodOmens

« Reply #15: October 08, 2012, 01:40:46 PM »
For iPhone users - the radio broadcast in the MLB At Bat is also free.

Offline grizzly

« Reply #16: October 08, 2012, 04:58:58 PM »
Yes the actual broadcast from TBS is blacked out in the entire US, but the live feed is not.  For $5 its not bad at all.

this is great.  there is only one camera angle though.  is that normal?

Offline danjros

« Reply #17: October 08, 2012, 05:06:45 PM »
Therer are multiple camera angles as well as different viewing options like 1 screen, slit screen, 4 angles at once, picture in picture...

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #18: October 08, 2012, 05:08:07 PM »
Should we be expecting another sun outage today?

Offline grizzly

« Reply #19: October 08, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
Ah got it. Thank you sir.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #20: October 08, 2012, 06:26:18 PM »
Should we be expecting another sun outage today?

I had one in the 2nd inning.