Author Topic: Byrd to AAA  (Read 2055 times)

Montcobaseball

Byrd to AAA
« Topic Start: July 31, 2005, 05:24:40 PM »
Very surprising.  He wasn't playing or contributing but after Robinson's endless guestures of support I am still surprised.  Apparentely he didn't take it well and stormed out without saying a word.  Oh well.  Good riddance.  I still want them to bring up Rick Short.

Offline rileyn

Byrd to AAA
« Reply #1: July 31, 2005, 05:41:56 PM »
I don't think I would take it well either.  Byrd is probably thinking to himself, "Wait a minute, you guys put up with a shortstop hitting .180, the NL strikeout leader plays every day, Ryan Church hasn't done a damn thing since he crashed into the wall, your 2nd basement doesn't play hard, you let Wil Cordero hang around for 100 games.  All that and I play outstanding defense in the limited time that I get to play.  WTF?"

I am scratching my head at this move.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Byrd to AAA
« Reply #2: July 31, 2005, 05:51:01 PM »
Quote from: "rileyn"
I don't think I would take it well either.  Byrd is probably thinking to himself, "Wait a minute, you guys put up with a shortstop hitting .180, the NL strikeout leader plays every day, Ryan Church hasn't done a damn thing since he crashed into the wall, your 2nd basement doesn't play hard, you let Wil Cordero hang around for 100 games.  All that and I play outstanding defense in the limited time that I get to play.  WTF?"

I am scratching my head at this move.

I co-sign on everything he said.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Byrd to AAA
« Reply #3: July 31, 2005, 06:02:56 PM »
Yeah I'm surprised as well, Byrd looked like he was giving it 100% and he has a rocket of an arm from left field.  Granted he wasn't contributing much offensively lately, but then again it's not like he's the only one :roll:

Montcobaseball

Byrd to AAA
« Reply #4: July 31, 2005, 07:52:31 PM »
Maybe its clubhouse stuff that we aren't privy to?  Critical comments, disrespecting the manger behind his back, etc.  Not having the slightest idea if this might be true but there are things that go on that we don't know about.

Offline JMW IV

Byrd to AAA
« Reply #5: July 31, 2005, 08:09:21 PM »
all i know, is that our best defensive outfielder is now in AAA. :(

the article I read about it said that the team wanted him to go down to AAA fo r 30 days and work on his swing mechanics.  he just kinda took the move pretty hard.  

he'll be back up in September.  hopefully he'll go to NO and channel his anger into working harder.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Byrd to AAA
« Reply #6: July 31, 2005, 08:37:09 PM »
When you do Range Factor calculations for 2005, Wilkerson is the best outfielder (2.75RF), followed by Church (2.39RF), Byrd (2.38RF), then Wilson (2.23). It could be as simply as having Byrd get his stroke back and while he's doing that, use Cepicky off the bench mainly as a pinch hitter. (BTW, Cepicky's RF for 2005 is 3.34) Once Blanco is done with his rehab assignment, the Nats will have to activate him because they aren't allowed to leave him in New Orleans unless they made some kind of deal to keep him.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Byrd to AAA
« Reply #7: July 31, 2005, 09:09:41 PM »
Byrd's in a massive slump.  Cepicky's a decent hitter, right now I'd rather have Matt coming to the plate in a meaningful situation than Byrd.  

On the other hand, if everybody's happy with our offense, I'll just keep my opinions to myself......

natslive

Byrd to AAA
« Reply #8: July 31, 2005, 10:32:45 PM »
While I think Matt is ok - I'd much rather have had them call up Short - we have enough outfielders and Short would give us some versatility in the infield as he can play all the positions and would allow Vinny some needed rest once in a while so we can play Jamey for Guzman......personally I'd rather have seen them get rid of Wilson instead but that isn't going to happen......

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Byrd to AAA
« Reply #9: July 31, 2005, 10:53:50 PM »
For flexibility, either Rick Short or Juan Melo would have been good call ups... I wonder why Short doesn't get called up when there's a need. Its a question that has me scratching my head.

Offline JMW IV

Byrd to AAA
« Reply #10: August 01, 2005, 07:27:12 AM »
Byrd's problem is that he swings solely with his arms, if you want him.

He doesn't really use his lower body at ALL.  and thus he has no momentum, no drive, no power behind his swing.

if he'd step into his pitches, swing those hips around, he'd be able to drive the ball a lot better, and he'd hit for more power.

Hardball in DC

Byrd to AAA
« Reply #11: August 01, 2005, 08:12:13 AM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
I wonder why Short doesn't get called up when there's a need.

Rick Short sprained his right ankle in Friday's game.  He didn't play for New Orleans this weekend.