Author Topic: One last question before the offseason starts...  (Read 838 times)

Offline amanuel

• what the hell is going on out there?
    • RBSL
One last question before the offseason starts...
« Topic Start: October 13, 2012, 12:51:02 AM »
Would having Starsburg active on this team, either as a starter or short reliever, made any difference? I ask this question because everyone and their mothers will be talking about this. But as Nationals fans we watched this team through the ups and downs so we might actually know a little something about this topic.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
Re: One last question before the offseason starts...
« Reply #1: October 13, 2012, 12:54:38 AM »
Doesn't matter.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #2: October 13, 2012, 12:57:04 AM »
It would have made a difference in some capacity, sure. However, this team was too young and played too young. We weren't winning a ring this year. JMO

Offline BH34Natural

« Reply #3: October 13, 2012, 12:59:11 AM »
They were just too young the inexperience showed

Offline Once an Expos Fan

• Nos Amours
« Reply #4: October 13, 2012, 01:03:07 AM »
As much as I don't want to say this...

Yes.

That would have meant less wild Gio, and possibly no Jackson.

But whatever. It's done.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #5: October 13, 2012, 01:05:08 AM »
Should never have traded Matt Capps

8)

(I'm trying to smile.)

Offline Bloo

« Reply #6: October 13, 2012, 01:08:03 AM »
Would having Starsburg active on this team, either as a starter or short reliever, made any difference? I ask this question because everyone and their mothers will be talking about this. But as Nationals fans we watched this team through the ups and downs so we might actually know a little something about this topic.

Not now man.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #7: October 13, 2012, 01:09:45 AM »
Yes, no second gio start,  and hopefully no Jackson start. 

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #8: October 13, 2012, 01:11:46 AM »

Rizzo bet his reputation and his career that next year will be our year, no Stras and no big mid season moves.
Time to say goodbye to some of the guys that got us here.

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
« Reply #9: October 13, 2012, 01:33:27 AM »
It would have made a difference in some capacity, sure. However, this team was too young and played too young. We weren't winning a ring this year. JMO

Folks,

Before anyone jumps off the 14th St bridge...

Kevrock is exactly correct.  You could see it coming down the strech, we just aren't that solid all the way down the line and the inexperience is a huge factor.  Look how both Gio and Drew fell apart when one or two calls didn't go their way.  This is a stepping stone...sucks tonite, would have actually been better to happen in the NLCS, but it's a part of a team building for a run.

Now let's start talking about how we patch some of the holes! 

How much do we offer LaRoche?  Is he worth it or do we move Morse to 1st?  I vote keep Adam and see what we can get for Morse.

Do we try to sign Jackson?

What do we do to shore up the bullpen?

Is Danny the second baseman of the future for the Nats?

Less than a month until free agent season opens!

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Morse and Espinosa need to be gone.

Offline HalfSmokes

If you can get anything for storen,  I don't want to see him again

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
If you can get anything for storen,  I don't want to see him again

He'll be fine next year.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Now we know what the fans of the Randy Johnson era Mariners felt like

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Now we know what the fans of the Randy Johnson era Mariners felt like

At least those teams didn't tease them like the Nats tonight >:(

This is like Cubs territory, without the long-ass history

Offline BigMeech

Morse and Espinosa need to be gone.

Sanity.

Offline 0ricky0

Keep Morse and Espi for another year, shouldn't let post season emotions determin their outcome. I never cared for Stammen and Jackson though.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Keep Morse and Espi for another year, shouldn't let post season emotions determin their outcome.

:wtf:

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Let LaRoche walk and free Tyler Moore!

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Keep Morse and Espi for another year, shouldn't let post season emotions determin their outcome. I never cared for Stammen and Jackson though.
Emotions have nothing to do with it. Morse gets hurt all the time and we have a good young option in Moore, and Espinosa is a highly flawed player with decent value with a potentially superior player in Lombo sitting behind him. It's not emotional. It's decent baseball logic.

Offline nats2playoffs

Emotions have nothing to do with it. Morse gets hurt all the time and we have a good young option in Moore, and Espinosa is a highly flawed player with decent value with a potentially superior player in Lombo sitting behind him. It's not emotional. It's decent baseball logic.
Free agents are going to want to come to Washington now, so we may be able to get someone better than Espinosa and Lombo. 

Agree that Morse is injury prone... and now another year older.  Merry Tyler Moore needs to be playing every day, although I think LaRoche has another year in him, and carried this team often. 

Josh Hamilton says there's only a 50% chance he stays with Texas.  He might look good in a Nationals uniform.  He (and his 43 homers and 128 RBIs) and Bryce can avoid alcohol together.

Offline nobleisthyname

No to Hamilton and no to letting Espi leave if it means replacing him with Lombo. Getting a weaker glove and no power just to avoid seeing strikeouts? It's not like he gets on base any better than Espi.

I wouldn't mind letting Morse go though.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
If we played him in the field and he hit better than Espinosa then yes.  Otherwise no.

Offline scenemissing

The truth. As much as I wanted them to advance, the wheels were coming off by the end of the regular season. They weren't mentally prepared for playoff calibre baseball. It wasn't just one bad performance that did us in, it was contagious.

I'll be really interested in what moves we make this offseason, this is where Rizzo can put us over the top with the right pieces.