Author Topic: Welcome New Members, Introduce Yourself!  (Read 426602 times)

Offline stealyerbase

• YUMMY! Good for you too!
Re: Welcome New Members, Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #2400: March 06, 2014, 10:02:24 PM »
  You can still find a Nats website discussion board? How?

Not that I'm leaving the Forum, I just got here! But curious I am....:punch:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #2401: March 06, 2014, 10:23:01 PM »
  You can still find a Nats website discussion board? How?

Not that I'm leaving the Forum, I just got here! But curious I am....:punch:

http://forums.prospero.com/n/mb/discussionFrameset.asp?webtag=ml-washington

It's mostly the Sofie show over there these days, although AngelosSux and RichMinDC are still going strong.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2402: March 07, 2014, 12:25:08 PM »
http://forums.prospero.com/n/mb/discussionFrameset.asp?webtag=ml-washington

It's mostly the Sofie show over there these days, although AngelosSux and RichMinDC are still going strong.

That link takes one to post #1 of the forum, good ol' Tbirdjoey's welcome.  You know you've been a fan for a while if you responded to post #1.    :old:

Offline stealyerbase

« Reply #2403: March 07, 2014, 07:20:32 PM »
Thanks for the linky-dink. I used to post there a bunch and then I couldn't find it through the Nats page anymore. Found it now!

Offline dracnal

« Reply #2404: March 14, 2014, 03:43:21 PM »
I grew up an AF brat which meant I moved around too much to care about the local sports team.  Never lived in a city with any major franchises until I moved to DC after college.  I didn't really follow any sports due to lack of time, but in 2007 my wife finally convinced me to join her for a game at RFK. 

From the moment I walked up the ramp and saw the field laid out in front of me, I was hooked.  I've been a rabid fan since then who divides the year into two things:  Baseball Season and Waiting-for-Baseball Season. 

Aside from that, I'm a network engineer who does remote support for 75 companies or so in the metro region, I recently moved to Leesburg, and I'm pretty tired of the cold weather.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #2405: March 14, 2014, 10:19:47 PM »
Welcome!

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #2406: March 16, 2014, 02:03:16 AM »
Welcome, Dracnal!

You'd be surprised how many of us are in the computer industry. Carol, AKA CLASGR8, for instance. Me? Ever since I talked my way into a job writing 8080 assembly language in 1981, using a DEC PDP-8 as a cross-compiler.

Like you, I gasped and became mesmerized when I walked out the ramp and saw the field. Perfect grass, huge, green, dressed out in the presidential bunting. That was 1954, when Ike gave the Hillerich and Bradsby Silver Bat to Nats 1B Mickey Vernon for having been then AL batting champ in 1953. So much more than watching the tiny figures on a 17-inch black and white TV.

Awesome.

Every little kid deserves his "first moment atg the ballpark".

The New New Nats have been back from their 30 year road trip, back for ten seasons now. I see lots of litle kids at games. Baseball is coming back.

I don't even care who gets signed as the Redskins backup right guard. Strassburg pitched well. That's good!

Offline RobertFickFan

« Reply #2407: March 19, 2014, 02:30:39 PM »
Long time lurker, first time poster here!

Like many here I was an O's fan growing up in this area. My enthusiasm for baseball waned as I discovered how Angelos was keeping a team out of DC but it was completely reborn on September 29th, 2004. Attending Nats games has been a wonderful part of my life over the past 9 years. I've been in the stands for the inaugural season Opening Day in 2005, the first game at Nats Park in 2008, the Werthquake in 2012, and countless others. I set a personal best by making 16 games last season and am going to try and top that this year. Aside from my Nats fandom I am a Redskins Season Ticket Holder and a shareholder in Caps season tickets for half the home games. I just picked up my Opening Day tickets this morning and am pretty pumped. This will be my fourth consecutive year in attendance at the Nats home opener.

I primarily follow the Nats through twitter but there is some great info here and I will try to contribute when I can.

P.S. My screen name is a tribute to possibly the weirdest and wackiest player to ever play for the Nats, Robert Fick.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2408: March 19, 2014, 03:37:31 PM »
Welcome!  I had to dive out of the way of Fick's white BMW as he roared out the tunnel from the player's lot at RFK...I think that was the July 4 game where Zimm hit a walk-off bomb against the Fish.  Odd duck for sure...he and Joey Eischen.

Like many here I was an O's fan growing up in this area. My enthusiasm for baseball waned as I discovered how Angelos was keeping a team out of DC but it was completely reborn on September 29th, 2004. Attending Nats games has been a wonderful part of my life over the past 9 years. I've been in the stands for the inaugural season Opening Day in 2005, the first game at Nats Park in 2008, the Werthquake in 2012, and countless others. I set a personal best by making 16 games last season and am going to try and top that this year. Aside from my Nats fandom I am a Redskins Season Ticket Holder and a shareholder in Caps season tickets for half the home games. I just picked up my Opening Day tickets this morning and am pretty pumped. This will be my fourth consecutive year in attendance at the Nats home opener.

I primarily follow the Nats through twitter but there is some great info here and I will try to contribute when I can.

P.S. My screen name is a tribute to possibly the weirdest and wackiest player to ever play for the Nats, Robert Fick.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #2409: March 19, 2014, 10:55:32 PM »

Welcome RobertFickFan. The Baltiore team tried hard to capture DC, but they couldn't. WE g-hve atean an after the long road trip. Nothng is better.

Offline ¡Vamos Ramos!

« Reply #2410: April 07, 2014, 09:12:08 AM »
I'll re-introduce myself here since I've been lurking for ages but the excitement of a new baseball season should see me posting more.

I'm 25 and a true DC area resident in the sense that I was born in DC and grew up across the river in Alexandria and now live in the area in Arlington. Grew up an Orioles fan (which is sickening to me now...) and was a huge Cal Ripken fan as a kid. Obviously the game 5 meltdown last year, which I attended in person, is the most devastating moment of my sports life, but to this day that kid reaching out and catching that Jeter homer over Tony Tarrasco is a close second.

Anyways, always been a DC sports fan so immediately made the switch to the Nats in 2005 to join my other faves (Wizards/Skins/Caps/DCU) Went to school down at Miami for 4 years (hence the avy), and used to catch Nats game alot at the dump that was Sun Life Stadium and actually booked a flight home and attended the inaugural game at Nats park. Now lucky enough to have gotten a job back home working corporate finance and hit alot of games via my parents season tickets.

Anyways, looking forward to talking to all of you guys and hopefully enjoying a run like 2012.

Offline stealyerbase

« Reply #2411: April 07, 2014, 02:39:21 PM »
I'll re-introduce myself here since I've been lurking for ages but the excitement of a new baseball season should see me posting more.

I'm 25 and a true DC area resident in the sense that I was born in DC and grew up across the river in Alexandria and now live in the area in Arlington. Grew up an Orioles fan (which is sickening to me now...) and was a huge Cal Ripken fan as a kid. Obviously the game 5 meltdown last year, which I attended in person, is the most devastating moment of my sports life, but to this day that kid reaching out and catching that Jeter homer over Tony Tarrasco is a close second.

Can you actually believe that the O's signed that kid, Jeffery Myers (sp?) to a Minor League contract? Crazy, but true. Maybe they just wanted to get him down on the farm somewhere and run him to death.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #2412: April 07, 2014, 09:19:43 PM »
Can you actually believe that the O's signed that kid, Jeffery Myers (sp?) to a Minor League contract? Crazy, but true. Maybe they just wanted to get him down on the farm somewhere and run him to death.

Jeffrey Maier

Offline ¡Vamos Ramos!

« Reply #2413: April 07, 2014, 09:26:21 PM »

There's still a flood of bad memories every time I see Tony Tarrasco coaching first. Funny how baseball has this way of circling around

Online blue911

« Reply #2414: April 07, 2014, 09:35:22 PM »

Maier hasn't played pro ball. And he has to be close to 30 by now

Offline cowpunk

• schadenfreude
« Reply #2415: April 07, 2014, 10:13:07 PM »
Hey everyone!

Grew up a Mets fan and experienced the '86 World Series as a kid in NYC.  Been in VA since 88 and presently live in the Shirlingon area with my wife and our Bichon (any Cap City Brew/Bungalows regulars here?)  Been following the Nationals since 2005 but really only got very interested in the team in 2010 when I moved back to the DC proper.  Davey as the manager and Bryce and Strasburg reminding this former Mets fan of Strawberry and Gooden and I was hooked.

Wife and I were at the NLDS division clinch game but were also at Game 5 :( 

Have a small collection of jerseys.  Favorite is the 2005 Fudruckers-font jersey with the round DC patch.  Have player jerseys for Bryce and Zim'n.  Bought one of Paul's Bryce prints from this board and it's framed and hanging in my office, next to my wedding photo (kidding on the last part).  Have Davey's autograph on the "Smile Like You Mean It" Rendon on the program cover from last season (any Killers fans here?)

Spare time I run various races, did the Cherry Blosom 10-miler this weekend and will be training for my third marathon this fall.  Am slow!  Favorite animal at the zoo is... the sloth.  White belt in jiu-jitsu, loving it.  Once had two beer coolers full of cigars but now have <100, still enjoy a good smoke on occasion though.

Anyway, about time I said hello and say something more than "yay, half-price pizza!" after a 7+ run win. 

Cheershhh!

-Julian

PS:  "cowpunk" is also my Twitter handle

Offline stealyerbase

« Reply #2416: April 07, 2014, 10:25:22 PM »
Maier hasn't played pro ball. And he has to be close to 30 by now
After exhaustive research (Read as quick check on Wiki) Jeffery Maier was never drafted. WaPo and NYTimes printed articles in 2006 that said the Orioles were interested in Maier. The O's denied the reports.

In another crazy episode of how things go around, Nats coach Tony Tarasco who was of course the O's outfielder that Maier interfered with actually got up onstage back in 2004 or 5 and "rapped" with my rock band in College Park. We just vamped a funk groove while Tony and his posse rocked the mic. It was a hoot! It was also difficult to get him off the stage! Glad he stuck with baseball or he'd be starving.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #2417: April 07, 2014, 10:26:11 PM »
Belated,but welcome ;)

Online blue911

« Reply #2418: April 07, 2014, 10:32:09 PM »
After exhaustive research (Read as quick check on Wiki) Jeffery Maier was never drafted. WaPo and NYTimes printed articles in 2006 that said the Orioles were interested in Maier. The O's denied the reports.

In another crazy episode of how things go around, Nats coach Tony Tarasco who was of course the O's outfielder that Maier interfered with actually got up onstage back in 2004 or 5 and "rapped" with my rock band in College Park. We just vamped a funk groove while Tony and his posse rocked the mic. It was a hoot! It was also difficult to get him off the stage! Glad he stuck with baseball or he'd be starving.

He was a pretty good D3 player at a school in New England so it isn't that wild of a story.

Offline stealyerbase

« Reply #2419: April 07, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »
He was a pretty good D3 player at a school in New England so it isn't that wild of a story.
Right you are. As per Wiki;
Maier grew up in Old Tappan, New Jersey and played baseball there at Northern Valley Regional High School at Old Tappan.[7] He then played college ball at Wesleyan University in Middletown, Connecticut, where he was a first-team all-NESCAC selection. He also played briefly for the Pittsfield Dukes in the New England Collegiate Baseball League in the summer of 2005.

In 2006, he became Wesleyan's career hits leader and was featured on ESPN. The New York Times reported that Maier hoped for a career in baseball. That spring, the Washington Post and MLB.com reported that, ironically, the Baltimore Orioles might draft him—though the team denied ever having an interest in him.[8] Maier was also invited to a try out for a number of prospects, held by the New York Yankees. However, he was not selected by any team in the 2006 Major League Baseball Draft. Maier worked in the summer of 2006 as a scout in the Cape Cod League for ESPN's Peter Gammons and also as an instructor for Frozen Ropes Baseball Training Center. Maier has since become a special consultant for the New Haven County Cutters.[9] He has had several internships, including with the YES Network, and had several interviews (according to The New York Times) with MLB teams at baseball's winter meetings in search of a front-office job.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2420: April 08, 2014, 10:02:21 AM »
Hey everyone!

Grew up a Mets fan and experienced the '86 World Series as a kid in NYC.  Been in VA since 88 and presently live in the Shirlingon area with my wife and our Bichon (any Cap City Brew/Bungalows regulars here?)  Been following the Nationals since 2005 but really only got very interested in the team in 2010 when I moved back to the DC proper.  Davey as the manager and Bryce and Strasburg reminding this former Mets fan of Strawberry and Gooden and I was hooked.

Wife and I were at the NLDS division clinch game but were also at Game 5 :( 

Have a small collection of jerseys.  Favorite is the 2005 Fudruckers-font jersey with the round DC patch.  Have player jerseys for Bryce and Zim'n.  Bought one of Paul's Bryce prints from this board and it's framed and hanging in my office, next to my wedding photo (kidding on the last part).  Have Davey's autograph on the "Smile Like You Mean It" Rendon on the program cover from last season (any Killers fans here?)

Spare time I run various races, did the Cherry Blosom 10-miler this weekend and will be training for my third marathon this fall.  Am slow!  Favorite animal at the zoo is... the sloth.  White belt in jiu-jitsu, loving it.  Once had two beer coolers full of cigars but now have <100, still enjoy a good smoke on occasion though.

Anyway, about time I said hello and say something more than "yay, half-price pizza!" after a 7+ run win. 

Cheershhh!

-Julian

PS:  "cowpunk" is also my Twitter handle

Welcome and FU about 1986 :razz:

While I'm a CCSP person due to the walking distance, trying the Bungalow for a group outing might be a good change. Problem is no metro. 

Lots of good food options of course in Shirlington and right off the 4 mile run / W & OD trails.

Offline cowpunk

• schadenfreude
« Reply #2421: April 08, 2014, 12:37:44 PM »
JCA, I think you organized a forum meet at the Sports Pub during the division playoffs and we actually showed up, might have been Game 1 with the infamous shadows.  Sorry to not say hello, but I'll keep an eye out on future meets you post.

The Bung and CCBC are great and parking in the garages are free after 5 PM (ie no longer reserved), few bars beat the Sports Pub's top floor though.

Offline dcsportsfan75

« Reply #2422: April 12, 2014, 08:05:30 PM »
Hello, new member. Name is Jonathan and I live in Woodbridge. By the way, check out my PNats fan blog at viewsfromthepfitz.wordpress. com

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2423: April 12, 2014, 09:25:11 PM »
http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/maier-uses-bat-to-distinguish-himself-201/

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
« Reply #2424: April 24, 2014, 02:53:08 PM »
I can tell I am going to like it here! ;)  Thank you all for the most kind welcome!  It's good to know that there are so many people here who feel like minded; we're definitely big fans.  It was sweet to hear of your memories with your Dads too. 

My DH and I are really psyched because we decided to splurge for this time and we got Home Plate Box A tickets to the 'Nats/Angels game on April 23.  Our best friend is a die-hard Angels fan and whenever they come to town we go to the Park.  He talks trash, we talk trash and it's all a lot of fun.  We told him we'd purchase his ticket and we haven't told him just what seats we did get!  I told him on the phone last week that I did the best I could- that they were "decent" seats.  He has no clue!  I can't wait to see the look on his face as we walk closer and close to the home plate section.  Might have to take a snap of that one!

Hope you didn't leave early!