Author Topic: Nationals vs Dodgers, Game 2  (Read 67964 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Nationals vs Dodgers, Game 2
« Reply #75: September 06, 2011, 04:46:21 PM »
Walked the dog just now, and lost all desire to go to a game today. It's foul out there.

haha haven't you said that like 9 times already in this thread 8)

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #76: September 06, 2011, 04:46:51 PM »
if they do split doubleheader, i'm sure SS will go the second game.  (which i have tix for)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #77: September 06, 2011, 04:47:21 PM »
haha haven't you said that like 9 times already in this thread 8)

I was ready to go in the house and get a jacket and leave so I could see Peacock but by the end of the walk I had decided that they won't play and I was miserable out there.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #78: September 06, 2011, 04:49:02 PM »
I was ready to go in the house and get a jacket and leave so I could see Peacock but by the end of the walk I had decided that they won't play and I was miserable out there.

i was just giving ya a hard time ... don't blame ya or anyone. 

although i wanted the good times to continue to roll after the nats have won two of the last three and after MD's awesome win last night.  i'm on a sports high right now!

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #79: September 06, 2011, 04:49:31 PM »
60 pitches really?
Yet he is fine with Peacock pitching on a wet mound or throwing an inning here or there and be delayed?
Why is Rizzo waiting to 7?!! Greed?

It is going to pour all night. This is the most obvious rainout I've ever seen yet the Nats want everyone to come buy concessions before they cancel the game

nyan nyan nyan nyan

Offline ghostface

« Reply #80: September 06, 2011, 04:51:11 PM »
is it official that Peacock is going tonight?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #81: September 06, 2011, 04:51:51 PM »
@capitalweather More and more convinced by radar that rain at #Nats will stop by 5:30 and hold off for 2+hr, with 1+ hr delays after that.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #82: September 06, 2011, 04:54:36 PM »
is it official that Peacock is going tonight?

It soon will be, no way Strasburg goes for 30 minutes and then gets off the mound.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #83: September 06, 2011, 04:57:54 PM »

Anybody who has ever followed baseball more than a couple of years has stories of games that were "sure to be rained out" but end up getting played. Only rookies don't show. Or real fans who know they run the risk of missing the game but don't care...

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #84: September 06, 2011, 04:57:56 PM »
See, Dibble was right, SS is a 90 pound weakling. 

It soon will be, no way Strasburg goes for 30 minutes and then gets off the mound.

Offline ghostface

« Reply #85: September 06, 2011, 05:01:25 PM »
Anybody who has ever followed baseball more than a couple of years has stories of games that were "sure to be rained out" but end up getting played. Only rookies don't show. Or real fans who know they run the risk of missing the game but don't care...
[/quotego get Rizzo his coffee.

ok tough guy - go get Rizzo some more coffee.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #86: September 06, 2011, 05:02:01 PM »

the ideal pitcher for tonight is Livo of course.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #87: September 06, 2011, 05:08:43 PM »
ok tough guy - go get Rizzo some more coffee.
I'd rather think I'm being a smart guy by not risking missing a game I already paid for. Believe me, I've done that too.

Worst thing that can happen is that the game is cancelled and I go out for beers with my friends instead.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #88: September 06, 2011, 05:08:58 PM »
excited to see some kinda combo of peacock and strasburg.  if not tonight, then let them both start the games tomorrow?

i think it'll work itself out.  nobody can be mad at the lerners/nats/etc for their decision, because WEATHER IS OUT OF THEIR HANDS. 

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #89: September 06, 2011, 05:10:30 PM »
The people who nag about the game not being cancelled are the first ones who would nag about it being cancelled if the rain stopped.

Offline SkinsNDeacs

« Reply #90: September 06, 2011, 05:12:06 PM »
The people who nag about the game not being cancelled are the first ones who would nag about it being cancelled if the rain stopped.

Dead on

Offline ghostface

« Reply #91: September 06, 2011, 05:13:14 PM »
once the Lerners get rid of those eye sore parking garbages they built on the cheap instead of underground - then I won't rip on them every chance i get.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #92: September 06, 2011, 05:13:52 PM »
Dead on
In other words, those people just nag mo matter what. It's what they do.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #93: September 06, 2011, 05:13:54 PM »
the ideal pitcher for tonight is Livo of course.

Or a bullpen game for all the new arms. Peacock, Maya, Stammen ect

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #94: September 06, 2011, 05:17:56 PM »
WTOP just said if it's postponed, Strasburg will go at 1:05 tomorrow and Wang at 7:05.

I'm parked in front of my wife's office near the Kennedy Center. Barely raining here, but it is by no means pleasant outside.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #95: September 06, 2011, 05:18:21 PM »
Or a bullpen game for all the new arms. Peacock, Maya, Stammen ect
You mean Pealollipop, MAAAAYAAAA, and StAAAAmen?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #96: September 06, 2011, 05:18:56 PM »
WTOP just said if it's postponed, Strasburg will go at 1:05 tomorrow and Wang at 7:05.

that sucks.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #97: September 06, 2011, 05:23:43 PM »
The latest on the Nationals’ plan for Stephen Strasburg’s return start and the weather
By Adam Kilgore

Stephen Strasburg’s highly anticipated return to the major leagues from Tommy John surgery will be pushed back to Wednesday afternoon in the likely event tonight’s game is rained out. Even if the Nationals and Dodgers do start tonight’s game, Manager Davey Johnson may scratch Strasburg in order to protect him from pitching in inclement conditions.

If tonight’s game is postponed, the Nationals and Dodgers will play a split doubleheader tomorrow, with games at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. Strasburg would start the game at 1 p.m.

If the rains holds enough for the Nationals to play, Johnson may decide not to pitch Strasburg and instead wait until tomorrow night’s game. Johnson does not want Strasburg’s first start back interrupted by a rain delay, and he does not want him pitching in uncomfortable conditions.

Strasburg getting scratched would surely upset the thousands of fans who bought tickets to see Strasburg return. But Johnson’s priority is to protect Strasburg.

“I did have a conversation with [General Manager] Mike Rizzo,” Johnson said. “I said, ‘I don’t want to have a partial rehab his first time back.’ I really don’t want it to be rainy, wet mound, wet balls, him out there throwing. I don’t care if it’s sold out or whatever. I’m always concerned about the future of the player and what’s best for the player. Because what’s best for the player is what’s best for the team.”

Fans with tickets for tonight’s game, presumably, would be able to attend Wednesday’s first game if it is rescheduled. Fans would have to rearrange their schedules. “I suggest they all take off work,” Johnson said jokingly.

Johnson, in order to help prevent Strasburg pitching for only one inning, asked Rizzo to not start the game under a drizzle. “I wouldn’t want to have him go one inning, because I’d have to wait until his next time came around,” Johnson said. “I would rather postpone it a day and know that he could get his full work in.”

The forecast makes for a grim chance that the Nationals do play tonight.

“The only news I have is that the groundskeeper said there isn’t going to be much of a window,” Johnson said. “That’s from three weather services. That’s about all I know. I’m sure they’ll try to get it in.”

If the Nationals do play tonight and Strasburg is scratched, September call-up Brad Peacock would start the game. If somehow Strasburg is able to pitch his allotted four innings and/or 60 pitches, Peacock would relieve him.

By Adam Kilgore  |  04:56 PM ET, 09/06/2011

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #98: September 06, 2011, 05:24:57 PM »
I made a point not to read much of what you post let alone respond but...

Certainty even you can see the difference between this game and the Pirate game earlier in the year.  They have sold 30K plus tickets to this game...rescheduling it this late in the season would be a nightmare.  They are going to do everything they can to get this game in.  The Pirate rain-out was very early in the year and the Pirates were coming back later...no hard at all to reschedule.

+1 ...   Might I add, the Nats' were damned if they did and damned if they didn't ... LAGC  ..   Lerner's Ain't Gotta Chance of gettin' this to everybody's liking.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #99: September 06, 2011, 05:25:28 PM »
I would be just fine to see Peacock pitch tonight and catch Stras whenever. And I have tix for the Thursday game if he goes then so...