Author Topic: Mike Wise’s radio show ends  (Read 3026 times)

Offline nats2playoffs

Mike Wise’s radio show ends
« Topic Start: December 17, 2012, 04:34:26 PM »
About three-and-a-half years after Washington Post sports columnist Mike Wise launched a radio show for 106.7 The Fan, that program is ending. Wise’s show — which originally ran from 10-2, and was shortened to 12-2 in April — will be replaced by a four-hour program hosted by Holden Kushner and Danny Rouhier.

This was a “ratings-based decision,” according to the station’s program director, who did not have further comment. Wise’s co-host, Chris Johnson, is also leaving the station.

Online HalfSmokes

Re: Mike Wise’s radio show ends
« Reply #1: December 17, 2012, 04:39:14 PM »
:clap:

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #2: December 17, 2012, 04:46:04 PM »
I've never listened to the show but I've seen Wise during guest appearances on various local TV shows. He always came across as rather boring and self-important. It surprises me he actually had his own show for that long.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #3: December 17, 2012, 05:53:05 PM »
I listened to his show because his co-host was very knowledgeable.

I found that, after you got past the initial impression, he was not self-important at all. He was a little wishy-washy. And, unfortunately, often wrong.

I've never listened to the show but I've seen Wise during guest appearances on various local TV shows. He always came across as rather boring and self-important. It surprises me he actually had his own show for that long.

Offline grizzly

« Reply #4: December 17, 2012, 05:54:23 PM »
Holden and Danny are the only sports radio guys who consistently talked about the Nats.  They are more enthusiastic, don't have the ego, and are willing to do more than just scratch the surface of topics.

Great move.

Offline grizzly

« Reply #5: December 17, 2012, 05:55:28 PM »
I listened to his show because his co-host was very knowledgeable.

I found that, after you got past the initial impression, he was not self-important at all. He was a little wishy-washy. And, unfortunately, often wrong.

Spot on.  He only talked fluff and was constantly wrong, I especially remember him being wrong every..single..time he talked about the Caps.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #6: December 17, 2012, 05:56:41 PM »
FINALLY

Offline Ray D

« Reply #7: December 17, 2012, 05:58:24 PM »
Good riddance.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #8: December 17, 2012, 06:02:34 PM »
Never liked Mike Wise but never want to see any man lose his job so I won't pile on.  I will say however that an extra two hours of Holden and Danny is sweet!!!!  Danny Rouhier has long been my favorite host on the station.

Offline mach1ne

« Reply #9: December 17, 2012, 06:22:58 PM »
Never liked Mike Wise but never want to see any man lose his job so I won't pile on.  I will say however that an extra two hours of Holden and Danny is sweet!!!!  Danny Rouhier has long been my favorite host on the station.

Agreed. Danny and Holden talking about baseball (or any other sport) is awesome to listen to as opposed to guys like Wise who have no idea what they are talking about.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #10: December 17, 2012, 06:24:41 PM »
Every time I heard him, he sounded bitter about no longer being in new york- maybe I just caught him on off days. I prefer DC natives (or at least long time residents) not guys who seem like they are just working their way up to somewhere bigger or who randomly end up here

Offline Ray D

« Reply #11: December 17, 2012, 06:31:24 PM »
never want to see any man lose his job so I won't pile on. 

I hope he finds another job.  Just not in DC.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #12: December 17, 2012, 06:46:02 PM »
I hope he finds another job.  Just not in DC.

He still writes for The Post

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #13: December 17, 2012, 06:49:26 PM »
Good, he was a big fan of Oriole internet troll Poopy McPoop. 

Offline SkinsNDeacs

« Reply #14: December 17, 2012, 07:30:40 PM »
This should make Kornheiser happy.  He hates him. 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #15: December 17, 2012, 07:33:55 PM »
This should make Kornheiser happy.  He hates him. 

Probably hates him because he is cut from the same cloth and doesn't see room for two "sports" journalists who don't know crap about sports in the same town.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #16: December 17, 2012, 07:37:02 PM »
Wow. I can't believe it. Baldy lost his show.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #17: December 17, 2012, 08:33:16 PM »
Probably hates him because he is cut from the same cloth and doesn't see room for two "sports" journalists who don't know crap about sports in the same town.

Kornheiser's show is one of the best things on local radio,  instead of pounding the same stories everyday,  he actually talks about things other than sports,  and when he does talk sports,  he gets the best guests in town

Offline Gleason2

« Reply #18: December 17, 2012, 08:48:02 PM »
Holden and Danny are the only sports radio guys who consistently talked about the Nats.  They are more enthusiastic, don't have the ego, and are willing to do more than just scratch the surface of topics.

Great move.

Agreed.  Those two guys are by far the best that station has to offer right now.  If only 106.7 would get rid of that tired salt & pepper act that they drag out on the weekends (Kevin and Rock).

Offline Gleason2

« Reply #19: December 17, 2012, 08:49:12 PM »
Kornheiser's show is one of the best things on local radio,  instead of pounding the same stories everyday,  he actually talks about things other than sports,  and when he does talk sports,  he gets the best guests in town

You really like Kornheiser?  His act is so tired.  He tries too hard to be funny and he just isn't.  His form of humor would have killed up in the Catskills about 50 years ago, though.  He's a man behind his times.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #20: December 17, 2012, 08:58:21 PM »
You really like Kornheiser?  His act is so tired.  He tries too hard to be funny and he just isn't.  His form of humor would have killed up in the Catskills about 50 years ago, though.  He's a man behind his times.

Nothing wrong with old fashioned,  so of his bits are awful,  but his show works as a talk show

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #21: December 17, 2012, 09:30:13 PM »
I like Kornheiser in small doses. His self-absorbed outlook on life reminds me too much of people I actually know in real life.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #22: December 18, 2012, 01:01:31 AM »

I couldn't agree more. 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #23: December 18, 2012, 01:15:13 AM »
I liked Kornheiser's show pre PTI.  Hard for me to listen to now, for similar reasons that BiL outlined.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #24: December 18, 2012, 08:38:59 AM »

:clap:  spot on