Author Topic: D-Span Appreciation Thread  (Read 4267 times)

Offline swirvi

Re: D-Span Appreciation Thread
« Reply #25: August 05, 2014, 04:23:34 PM »
Anyone have a video link to that catch?

Offline WhiteWhale

« Reply #26: August 05, 2014, 04:29:03 PM »
I youtubed "Denard Span Catch" and my server had a seizure

In all seriousness, he has a way of making it harder to see letting him go as the season wears on

Offline WhiteWhale

« Reply #27: August 05, 2014, 04:33:03 PM »
9M option, 500k buy out.
Going to be a tough call in the offseason. Souza making it even tougher so far.

Offline whytev

« Reply #28: August 05, 2014, 06:04:53 PM »

The team tweeted one.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.

Offline ChiliPalmer14

• 2019 was neat
« Reply #31: August 06, 2014, 06:33:23 PM »
I was ranting on Span as a lead-off hitter.  Hard.  I'll admit that he's made a bigger improvement than I expected.  But at the time, his OBP and, to a smaller extent, his other numbers had him as possibly the worst lead-off hitter in the league.  But because of his defense and low K rate, I never suggested that he should be out of the line-up.  Overall, I didn't expect him to be the producer he's been.  I'm glad I was wrong about that. 

Offline CapsnNats

« Reply #32: August 07, 2014, 12:07:26 AM »
32 consecutive. Ho-hum.

Offline Optics

« Reply #33: August 07, 2014, 12:27:18 AM »
D Span doing D Span things.

Offline whytev

« Reply #34: August 07, 2014, 12:52:11 AM »
I was ranting on Span as a lead-off hitter.  Hard.  I'll admit that he's made a bigger improvement than I expected.  But at the time, his OBP and, to a smaller extent, his other numbers had him as possibly the worst lead-off hitter in the league.  But because of his defense and low K rate, I never suggested that he should be out of the line-up.  Overall, I didn't expect him to be the producer he's been.  I'm glad I was wrong about that.

I'm new here, but I love it when people on the internet admit they are wrong. It's rare. And noble.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #35: August 07, 2014, 09:12:12 AM »
Yes, the rant thread has become a bit of a mea culpa thread as well as a stat discussion thread.  Several of his stats behind the OBP jump look real, even if you think things like his batting average on balls in play will come back a bit after this streak.  In particular, he seems much more selective and willing to pass on strikes in order to get a pitch he wants rather than jumping on the first strike he sees.  He went from swings at ~65% of the strikes he was seeing to ~40%, if my memory is right (it is in a post). He can do that because he does not miss strikes when he does swing (a consistent ~95% contact rate all year, before and after his current streak).  That has also led to a big jump in walks, supporting the OBP rise and maybe keeping it up even if balls stop dropping in so much.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #36: August 07, 2014, 09:35:58 AM »
Yes, the rant thread has become a bit of a mea culpa thread as well as a stat discussion thread.  Several of his stats behind the OBP jump look real, even if you think things like his batting average on balls in play will come back a bit after this streak.  In particular, he seems much more selective and willing to pass on strikes in order to get a pitch he wants rather than jumping on the first strike he sees.  He went from swings at ~65% of the strikes he was seeing to ~40%, if my memory is right (it is in a post). He can do that because he does not miss strikes when he does swing (a consistent ~95% contact rate all year, before and after his current streak).  That has also led to a big jump in walks, supporting the OBP rise and maybe keeping it up even if balls stop dropping in so much.

All that and he just impresses me as a nice, genuine young (to me, if not to baseball) man.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #37: August 07, 2014, 11:58:08 AM »
All that and he just impresses me as a nice, genuine young (to me, if not to baseball) man.

I got the chance to meet him in Viera.  He is really kind guy and does everything for the fans.  His personality replaces that of Morse, IMO.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38: August 07, 2014, 03:17:27 PM »

that too, and you are probably a good judge from where you watch him.

Offline Dave301

« Reply #39: August 07, 2014, 05:31:38 PM »
Just go to MLB.com

Offline pazzo83

« Reply #40: August 07, 2014, 05:38:31 PM »
Hitting .300

Offline Dave301

« Reply #41: August 21, 2014, 09:08:35 PM »
Ace of MLB Stats ‏@AceballStats ·39s
#Nationals Denard Span leads the National League with 47 multi-hit games.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #42: August 21, 2014, 09:21:11 PM »
D Span is D Man.

Offline Optics

« Reply #43: August 22, 2014, 12:06:01 AM »
Best CF in the NL. There I said it.

Offline whytev

« Reply #44: August 22, 2014, 12:23:35 AM »
Best CF in the NL. There I said it.

2nded.

Offline curlington

« Reply #45: August 22, 2014, 12:45:48 AM »
While he finished well last year but in the middle of May hitting just 235 I was frustrated and hoped that next year they would try something different. Yes a great fielder, average arm. If I have a lighter hitting non power guy he needs to be a higher on base guy and offer other things. Then he changed into this monster hitter w/the most multi hit games in the NL, great double and triple numbers. I only hope he keeps it up and stays around the rest of his career. He sure is a likeable guy with character that you want to do well.

ET

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #46: August 22, 2014, 06:46:00 AM »
I only hope he keeps it up and stays around the rest of his career.

We're obviously picking up his option at the end of the year, then I'm guessing he'll be on the LaRoche track (2 year offers at a time, somewhere between $20-25 million) or maybe a qualifying offer track if he's holding out for more years than that, which would allow us to get back a draft pick after next season. I could see us letting someone else give him Victorino's contract, taking a first rounder and promoting whoever's closer (Goodwin/Taylor) to CF.

It'll be around that time that we need to shift payroll anyways to some of these guys who will reaching free agency, and that move has the potential to free up about $9 million without costing wins.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47: August 22, 2014, 09:36:14 AM »
I'd really love to seen an article breaking down what he started doing different in late june and early july.  walk rate way up, K rate down, fewer swings outside strike zone, taking a few more strikes, relying on his contact skills to be a bit more selective, etc...   Does it tie into a batting stance change?  Was there some sort of comfort thing (e.g., healing?  Seeing pitchers again in the NL?  something else?)?  Improvements like this are interesting to try to figure out.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #48: August 24, 2014, 05:18:54 AM »
Besides the periodic double, I'm noticing lots of Span's hit are right singles up the middle.  There may be more of an attempt to not pull the ball when swinging

I'd really love to seen an article breaking down what he started doing different in late june and early july.  walk rate way up, K rate down, fewer swings outside strike zone, taking a few more strikes, relying on his contact skills to be a bit more selective, etc...   Does it tie into a batting stance change?  Was there some sort of comfort thing (e.g., healing?  Seeing pitchers again in the NL?  something else?)?  Improvements like this are interesting to try to figure out.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #49: September 01, 2014, 09:43:41 PM »
Doubled his season home run total tonight :lol: