Author Topic: thats hardcore  (Read 785 times)

Offline Dave B

thats hardcore
« Topic Start: September 21, 2006, 10:31:39 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2597854

we'll see if they actually go to jail, but if they do i hope somehow somewhere it pays off for them.

if being good at my line of work means i go to jail, i think i'd find something else to do

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
thats hardcore
« Reply #1: September 21, 2006, 11:05:42 PM »
Personally I think that's BS.  That's like asking a priest to reveal what he was told during confession.

Offline NatsAddict

thats hardcore
« Reply #2: September 22, 2006, 10:20:11 AM »
I thought they were focusing on Conte

Feds ID BALCO Founder as Paper's Source
By DAVID KRAVETS and PAUL ELIAS, The Associated Press
Jun 23, 2006 1:39 AM

SAN FRANCISCO - E-mails seized by federal authorities identify the convicted founder of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative as a source in the San Francisco Chronicle's reporting on the steroids scandal, according to an online court filing that accidentally revealed confidential information.

The filing details exchanges between Chronicle reporter Mark Fainaru-Wada and Victor Conte, who jokingly suggests in one message that he be placed on the newspaper's payroll in exchange for information about grand jury testimony by elite athletes.

It was unclear from the filing whether Conte provided the reporters with grand jury transcripts, but it does show Conte discussing the testimony of athletes about their steroid use.

Beginning in 2004, the Chronicle published a series of stories citing the grand jury testimony of Giants slugger Barry Bonds, Yankees star Jason Giambi and others. The government has been investigating who leaked the transcripts to Fainaru-Wada and fellow reporter Lance Williams. Both men are fighting subpoenas to testify in that case.

Through his lawyer, Conte denied Thursday that he was the source of the leak.

"Mr. Conte did not leak grand jury transcripts," attorney Mary McNamara said. "It is unclear why the government's submission discusses e-mails that plainly prove no breach of the law by Mr. Conte."

Chronicle editor Phil Bronstein said it was alarming the government was reviewing communications between a source and a journalist, but would not disclose whether Conte was the leaker.

"Remember, this is not a national security case or anything approaching it" Bronstein said.

The government obtained the communications when it raided Conte's house in a San Francisco suburb in January, 2005, according to the document.

Sections of Wednesday's government filing were electronically blacked out to protect what prosecutors said was sensitive material concerning the grand jury's investigation. But those passages are revealed when the document is pasted into a word processing program. :doh:

Thom Mrozek, a spokesman for federal prosecutors in Los Angeles, who are conducting the leak probe, said the government committed an "unfortunate error, one that we regret" for failing to properly hide the blacked-out material.

The filing doesn't say that Conte gave the Chronicle the 30,000 pages of testimony by top athletes who appeared before the BALCO grand jury, though they show Conte discussing the secret testimony with Fainaru-Wada.

Conte, who pleaded guilty to steroid distribution charges and served four months in prison, was privy to the sealed grand jury transcripts because they were available to the BALCO defendants, their attorneys and government authorities connected to the case.

"I would say at this point the only way the athletes' grand jury testimonies will come out is at trial," Conte wrote in a June 18, 2004 e-mail to Fainaru-Wada. "Unless I just give you a copy of the indexed CD rom that contains all 30 thousand pages of evidence. How would you like that? Just kidding."

Fainaru-Wada immediately replied: "OK, why not, you talked me into it. ... Wondering if you should even joke about that; I've become somewhat paranoid about e-mail these days. My wild imagination at work."

In another exchange, Conte confirmed that Giambi admitted to the grand jury he took steroids.

On June 24, 2004, immediately after the Chronicle published portions of the grand jury testimony of Olympic sprinter Tim Montgomery, Conte sent the reporter an angry e-mail titled "The End," threatening to cut off communication between them.

Nonetheless, Conte e-mailed Fainaru-Wada again that same day and asked if the newspaper's lawyers had concerns about publishing the secret testimony, which he compared to selling stolen property.

"This is not something I can discuss in any way," Fainaru-Wada responded, "than to say I believe we're fine."

The government told a judge Wednesday that its investigation of the leak came up empty, and that's why it subpoenaed Fainaru-Wada and Williams to testify before a grand jury and reveal their source.

Conte's lawyer said that fact alone shows the government does not have enough to indict his client as being the leaker.

"It's clear there isn't sufficient evidence against Mr. Conte," McNamara said.

SF Examiner

While not definitively a fire, sure is putting out one heck of a lot of smoke.  I also like the interesting use of the word "transcipts" in place of "testimony."

Offline nats2playoffs

thats hardcore
« Reply #3: September 22, 2006, 11:45:36 AM »
It's more like someone who overheard the confession transcribed it and gave it to the reporters, who then published it.  The reporters think that they should be allowed to get away with it, because it will help them sell more papers.  They profited from illegal access to restricted information by breaking the law.  Letting them get away with it just encourages other reporters to illegally publish grand jury testimony, as each tries to scoop the other.

Offline Dave B

thats hardcore
« Reply #4: September 22, 2006, 12:02:19 PM »
nats2p,

how long does it take you to create a post with all the elaborate emoticons?

Offline nats2playoffs

thats hardcore
« Reply #5: September 22, 2006, 02:16:46 PM »
Quote from: "Dave B"
nats2p,
how long does it take you to create a post with all the elaborate emoticons?

That one only took about a minute or two.  All three Jail emoticons are listed one after another, so I just copy all at the same time and paste once.  (That's how I can get all the hand-shakes up so fast when we win.)  I already knew I had a Secret-telling one, from using it one other time.  I got lucky on the newspaper one, by looking in the N's for it.  They will be displayed in separate lines, so I have to back-space after pasting them, to get them all on one line (which is a bit of a pain.)  

I first looked for emoticons after I saw people posting them on the Game Threads here.  If we are going to lose, we might as well have a few laughs and hope for better days ahead.  I almost never post some of the most interesting ones, because I have too many windows already open.  So I'm trying to figure out how to set up Tabs in Mozilla Firefox, since that would allow me to have them already open and accessible during games.  It's more work to post the game score updates, so I'm glad Sens' or someone else does it.  I've gotten faster at copying, modifying and pasting the Bang Zooms from past games.  

Of course, I now have to kill you, for revealing part of this highly classified top secret information...
Do you have any preference on how you would like to die?

Offline ColtonWillems

• "You have no integrity"
thats hardcore
« Reply #6: September 22, 2006, 03:37:45 PM »
Tabs in Mozilla? just click ctrl + t or go to file new tab