Poll

Who would you rather keep?

Adam LaRoche
68 (60.7%)
Michael Morse
44 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Author Topic: Morse or LaRoche  (Read 50869 times)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Re: Morse or LaRoche
« Reply #175: November 01, 2012, 04:13:04 PM »
I may be thinking of this to simply.  The team won 98 games last year.  Bryce was good in center and having his offense in that position is a major boost.  I think Werth is an ideal lead off hitter.  I like a lead off hitter with a bit of pop that can run the bases (steals are a bit over rated).  We know what Morse can do when healthy with the bat.  La Roche was our MVP and even if he reverts to norm he's still a solid middle order of the line up bat that gives us some lefty balance.  We have lots of depth with Moore, Bernie and Lombo in case anyone goes down.  Why go spend tons of change on a center fielder to hit lead off - I don't see the need?  May improve the D, but I just don't think it would improve it enough to replace the lost hitting.  Replacing Morse or LaRoche with a slap hitting lead off bat seems like a mistake - especially if it involves a big contract.  Give LaRoche 3 years.  Morse plays for his free agent year.  You'll have time to see if Goodwin can be the man and address next year when Morse departs.

I would resign La Roche, make a make push to really upgrade Jackson's spot in the rotation, and tweak the pen.  A rotation of say Stras, Gio, Znn, Lohse, and Detwiler...wow.  A rotation like that makes another post season appearance about as much a lock as one could hope for.  If it ain't broke...

I am totally on this boat with you ...