Author Topic: Dontrelle Willis back from the dead?  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Dontrelle Willis back from the dead?
« Topic Start: May 19, 2009, 11:46:33 PM »
Willis Leads Tigers Past Rangers
Tigers 4, Rangers 0

Well slap my ass and call me judy, this is a surprise.  Perhaps Shawn Hill will rise as well.

The Associated Press
Tuesday, May 19, 2009 9:46 PM

DETROIT -- Dontrelle Willis earned his first victory with the Detroit Tigers on Tuesday, allowing one hit while working into the seventh inning in a 4-0 win against the Texas Rangers.

The left-hander showed plenty of the stuff that made him a two-time All-Star with the Florida Marlins.

Willis (1-0), making his second start since coming off the disabled list with an anxiety disorder, surrendered one hit and struck out five in 6 1-3 innings to win for the first time since 2007. He allowed two baserunners in the first inning, then retired 17 straight.

Andruw Jones' walk with one out in the seventh ended Willis' run of retired batter and his outing. Willis left to a loud ovation and four relievers finished the shutout.

Willis, who came to Detroit with Miguel Cabrera in a December 2007 trade with Florida, earned his last win Sept. 25, 2007, against the Chicago Cubs. The 2003 NL Rookie of the Year made eight appearances in 2008 and struggled with a knee injury and control problems en route to an 0-2 mark and 9.38 ERA.

Willis was acquired by Detroit from Florida in a blockbuster deal that also landed the Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera. But Willis was a mess last season, with a 9.37 ERA in only 24 innings. He missed most of the season with a right knee injury.

Brandon McCarthy (3-2) allowed four runs and nine hits in the first seven innings and lost for the second time in as many decisions.

The Rangers, who entered the game on a seven-game winning streak, never could figure out Willis. Michael Young doubled in the first but the rest of the balls Texas lifted out of the infield were easy pickings for Detroit's outfielders.

The Tigers scored once in each of the first three innings on sacrifice flies by Jeff Larish and Gerald Laird. They added the fourth run on Miguel Cabrera's RBI double in the seventh.

Notes:@ Rangers All-Star CF Josh Hamilton missed the game to rest the sore right groin muscle he irritated Sunday. He and manager Ron Washington said the ailment wasn't serious. ... Tigers OF Wilkin Ramirez, who shares the International League stolen bases lead (14), will make his major-league debut Wednesday as the designated hitter, manager Jim Leyland said. Ramirez was recalled from Triple-A Toledo early Tuesday to replace Magglio Ordonez (bereavement list). ... Joyce Stearnes Thompson, daughter of Hall of Famer Norman "Turkey" Stearnes, sang the national anthem.

© 2009 The Associated Press

Re: Dontrelle Willis back from the dead?
« Reply #1: May 20, 2009, 12:07:20 AM »
Willis had an "anxiety disorder?" What does that mean exactly?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2: May 20, 2009, 12:23:55 AM »
Dude drives a Bentley and lives in Detroit.  That would get me anxious.

But Sheinin posted something at the start of the season about this...he seemed to think that it was a total sham, i.e. they didn't have a clue what to do with him.  I'm glad he's back...always liked him for some reason.  Crazy screwball delivery for one thing.

Willis had an "anxiety disorder?" What does that mean exactly?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #3: May 20, 2009, 12:27:13 AM »
good for him.  i've always liked d-train and kinda wish we made a low risk move to get him.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #4: May 20, 2009, 03:02:00 AM »
Well, sounds like a good game, but how many of our youngsters had a good game and than not stay on track?

Just saying. I like Dontrelle and would much rather have him than crabby crap.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #5: May 20, 2009, 04:19:58 AM »
From NIMH

Anxiety Disorders
What are Anxiety Disorders?

Anxiety is a normal reaction to stress. It helps one deal with a tense situation in the office, study harder for an exam, keep focused on an important speech. In general, it helps one cope. But when anxiety becomes an excessive, irrational dread of everyday situations, it has become a disabling disorder.  More about Anxiety Disorders »
Five major types of anxiety disorders are:

* Generalized Anxiety Disorder
    * Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
    * Panic Disorder
    * Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
    * Social Phobia (or Social Anxiety Disorder)

Treatment

Effective treatments for anxiety disorders are available, and research is yielding new, improved therapies that can help most people with anxiety disorders lead productive, fulfilling lives. More about Treatment »
Getting Help: Locate Services

Locate mental health services in your area, affordable healthcare, NIMH clinical trials, and listings of professionals and organizations. More about Locating Services »
Related Information

* Information on coping with traumatic events
    * Information about medications
    * Anxiety Disorders Information and Organizations from NLM's MedlinePlus (en Español)
    * Some mental illnesses also carry an increased risk for suicide.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #6: May 20, 2009, 07:21:48 AM »
It takes a while to get over Rick "Girardi's Revenge" Kranitz as a pitching coach.

Offline blue911

« Reply #7: May 20, 2009, 07:30:36 AM »
It takes a while to get over Rick "Girardi's Revenge" Kranitz as a pitching coach.

So, what kind of disorder does Daniel Cabrera have?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #8: May 20, 2009, 08:55:11 AM »
Willis Leads Tigers Past Rangers
Tigers 4, Rangers 0

Well slap my ass and call me judy, this is a surprise.  Perhaps Shawn Hill will rise as well.

Shawn Hill went on the 15 day DL 24 days ago (shortly after people here were up in arms about letting him go) and I've heard no news of him since. It's funny that some people here insisted after his first outing that he was finally going to break through.

« Reply #9: May 20, 2009, 09:03:35 AM »
From NIMH

Anxiety Disorders
What are Anxiety Disorders?

Anxiety is a normal reaction to stress. It helps one deal with a tense situation in the office, study harder for an exam, keep focused on an important speech. In general, it helps one cope. But when anxiety becomes an excessive, irrational dread of everyday situations, it has become a disabling disorder.  More about Anxiety Disorders »
Five major types of anxiety disorders are:

* Generalized Anxiety Disorder
    * Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
    * Panic Disorder
    * Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
    * Social Phobia (or Social Anxiety Disorder)

Treatment

Effective treatments for anxiety disorders are available, and research is yielding new, improved therapies that can help most people with anxiety disorders lead productive, fulfilling lives. More about Treatment »
Getting Help: Locate Services

Locate mental health services in your area, affordable healthcare, NIMH clinical trials, and listings of professionals and organizations. More about Locating Services »
Related Information

* Information on coping with traumatic events
    * Information about medications
    * Anxiety Disorders Information and Organizations from NLM's MedlinePlus (en Español)
    * Some mental illnesses also carry an increased risk for suicide.

Being a MLB pitcher probably isn't going to help that.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #10: May 20, 2009, 09:12:27 AM »
Being a MLB pitcher probably isn't going to help that.

Greinke is doing ok this year with it

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #11: May 20, 2009, 10:14:22 AM »
I saw some excerpts of him pitching last night.  The first 3/4 of his delivery was that slow and controlled delivery of his youth with the violent explosion at the end.  His delivery is largely what made him so great.  I am skeptical that he returns to the same form he was with the Marlins, but I do think we are going to see a Willis that is closer to that image than the Willis of last year.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #12: May 20, 2009, 10:21:32 AM »
Shawn Hill went on the 15 day DL 24 days ago (shortly after people here were up in arms about letting him go) and I've heard no news of him since. It's funny that some people here insisted after his first outing that he was finally going to break through.

You're over-generalizing.  There MIGHT have been two, MAYBE three people here who legitimately wished the team had kept him, and you know it.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #13: May 20, 2009, 11:21:36 AM »
Greinke is doing ok this year with it

Sports psychologist. Detroit should invest in one. Sucks that these guys have problems that so many keep private broadcast to the world, but that's the price of fame and fortune, I suppose.