Author Topic: Rank the Nats top prospects  (Read 8396 times)

Offline natstime

Re: Rank the Nats top prospects
« Reply #25: August 18, 2010, 04:51:29 PM »
I think you guys are too high on Solis.  But hopefully I am wrong and he gets up here pretty fast.

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #26: August 19, 2010, 06:53:38 PM »
I think you guys are too high on Solis.  But hopefully I am wrong and he gets up here pretty fast.

I think it's the way other around, I think we may be overrating Cole a bit. Solis is really a polished pitcher from what I read and he should move up levels really quickly.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #27: August 19, 2010, 10:59:13 PM »
Top 10 Nats Prospects
1. Bryce Harper, RF
- Number 1 pick in the 2010 draft likely top 15 prospect in the minors coming into next year. Unquestioned number 1 in our system.
2. Danny Espinosa, 2B
- The glove is major league ready, Rizzo is just looking for him to get better on recognizing breaking balls which is why he'll be playing winter ball this year. If he does that successfully and starts off hot in Syracuse next year he'll be in the majors by June.
3. Derek Norris, C
- Former number 2 in our system i'm putting him below Espi because he's not as much of a guaranteed ML player. Love Norris's plate discipline I believe his BA and SLG go back up next year. Look forward to seeing how he does in the AFL this summer.
4. Wilson Ramos, C
- People rave about his Defense and he'll definitely be a ML catcher. Whether he's a back up or starter will depend on his bat.
5. A.J. Cole RP
- Top ten draft prospect coming into the year. Definite first rounder if not for his strong commitment to Miami. Nats got him and now he's the highest upside arm we have in the minors.
6. Sammy Solis LP
- College Arm that is supposed to be quick to the majors.
7. Eury Perez CF
- My favorite prospect and former GCL player of the year. He has the highest ceiling of any of our OF prospects other than Bryce Harper if he can put it all together. He currently has 49 SB's, so he definitely has the speed to be a good defensive CF. He's hitting .307 w/ a .765 OPS since the all-star break.
8. Destin Hood LF
- Has done very well in his first full pro season. Once his double turn into HR's he'll really take off, also needs to work on his plate discipline.
9. Brad Peacock
- Has the stuff to succeed at the ML level I love his K rate the last two years.
10.  Stephen Lombardozi 2B
- Does nothing spectacular but has done well at every level so far. Looking forward to seeing how he measures up to the AFL competition.

Players To Watch:
Adrian Sanchez
Bobby Hansen
Michael Burgess
T. Moore
Brandon King
J.P. Ramirez
Robbie Ray

Offline Upark25

« Reply #28: August 20, 2010, 12:02:42 AM »
1. Bryce Harper
2. Derek Norris
3. Danny Espinosa
4. Wilson Ramos
5. AJ Cole
6. Michael Burgess
7. Sammy Solis
8. Chris Marrero
9. Destin Hood
10. Eury Perez

Offline epic_phalanx

« Reply #29: August 20, 2010, 12:36:41 PM »
1. Bryce Harper - In the discussion for best prospect in baseball.
2. Derek Norris - Injuries and a low BABIP hurt his numbers, but still walking a ton and looks more likely to stay as a catcher than at this point last year.
3. Danny Espinosa - Switch hitting middle infielder with legit 20/20 skills and good defense? Yes please.
4. AJ Cole - Highest upside starter in the organization. Could add velocity to his mid-90s heater as he fills out his body.
5. Wilson Ramos - Power and defense behind the plate, he should be ready to take over the starting spot if Pudge can't find the fountain of youth.
6. Sammy Solis - Throws hard enough for a lefty, good secondary offerings. John Lannan is probably his floor, if he stays healthy.
7. Robbie Ray - Projectable prep lefty stolen away from a commitment to Arkansas, has been clocked in the mid-90s and should add strength as he matures.
8. Tom Milone - Development of cut fastball upped his K rate. Control artist; will never blow scouts away with his stuff, but he has thoroughly dominated the Eastern League at age 23.
9. Michael Burgess - Appears to have improved pitch recognition; still waiting for the power to show up. As a 21 year old in AA, he has the luxury of time.
10. Chris Marrero - Has a bat to carry him to the majors, but will it be as a regular? He will need to improve walk rate, defense and power numbers to provide value at first base.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #30: September 06, 2010, 08:32:04 PM »
Callis came out with a new Top Ten for the Nats today I like it besides the fact that he didn't include Eury Perez. Eury hit .339 BA .384 OBP and .451 SLG post all-star break oh and he stole 41 of his 64 total SB's post all-star. Eury needs to raise his OBP a little bit but other than that I have no complaints and he had a great first season dayview. People outside of the Nats Community don't know much about him but I think after people do some more research this summer. He'll be getting a lot of love as a sleeper prospect going into next year.

Here's Callis's new list:
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/ask-ba/2010/2610617.html
My Top 10:
1. Bryce Harper, of
Has monster power, though he won't match Strasburg's immediate impact.
2. Wilson Ramos, c
Matt Capps trade freed Ramos from being blocked by Joe Mauer with Twins.
3. Derek Norris, c
Still needs to polish bat and defense, but he has power and on-base ability.
4. A.J. Cole, rhp
First-round stuff earned him $2 million as a fourth-rounder.
5. Sammy Solis, lhp
Don't be surprised if the $1 million second-rounder outperforms Cole.
6. Danny Espinosa, ss
Solid defender has cannon arm and surprising pop (40 HR in 2009-10).
7. Chris Marrero, 1b
Best proven all-around bat in system, though little defensive value.
8. Brad Peacock, rhp
Runs his fastball up to 95, flashes solid knuckle-curve and changeup.
9. Michael Burgess, of
Power potential remains impressive, but will he make enough contact?
10. Yuneski Maya, rhp
Former Cuban national team ace got $8 million big league contract.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #31: September 06, 2010, 09:19:53 PM »
Espinosa is closer to Wilson Ramos than he is to Solis. Espinosa is a possible 5+ WAR in his prime. Marrero is ranked too high. I don't see what is so special about his bat. You don't win if you rely on Chris Marrero's.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #32: September 06, 2010, 09:26:54 PM »
I think Ramos is just a placeholder for Norris. I truly believe Norris is going to be ready by 2012 after a monster year in AA in 2011.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #33: September 06, 2010, 11:12:41 PM »
I think Callis used weight for time to the big leagues... Doesn't mean I agree with him, but still...

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #34: September 06, 2010, 11:53:27 PM »
I think Ramos is just a placeholder for Norris. I truly believe Norris is going to be ready by 2012 after a monster year in AA in 2011.

Not necessarily. If Ramos pans out, Norris can get moved to first.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #35: September 07, 2010, 12:31:21 AM »
No. You don't move that type of offense off the plate. Especially if he's an adequate fielder. You move the guy that's good defensively but not as good with the bat.

Norris is an offensive force by catcher standards. If he were to move to first base, he becomes just another solid bat. The scarcity of good hitting catchers is what makes him so special, not his offensive talent.

Same with Espinosa. You are sapping a ton of his value by playing him at 2B over SS.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #36: September 07, 2010, 12:58:35 AM »
Same with Espinosa. You are sapping a ton of his value by playing him at 2B over SS.
Eh? I always thought that having a good offensive 2B was a massive luxury.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #37: September 07, 2010, 12:59:31 AM »
It's even more of a luxury to have a good fielding SS that can also hit.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #38: September 07, 2010, 01:00:59 AM »
It's even more of a luxury to have a good fielding SS that can also hit.
If he stops airmailing throws over Adam Dunn, we might already have one of those too.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #39: September 07, 2010, 01:02:32 AM »
If he stops airmailing throws over Adam Dunn, we might already have one of those too.

Might not have to worry about that next year :?

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #40: September 07, 2010, 01:03:58 AM »
Might not have to worry about that next year :?
I try not to think about that.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #41: September 07, 2010, 01:08:59 AM »

Agreed.

Desmond is a solid player in his own right.

With Norris and Ramos though, Norris's bat is so head and shoulders better than Ramos's that it would make a big difference if Norris was moved to 1B, and would actually hurt the team.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #42: September 07, 2010, 01:18:30 AM »
Agreed.

Desmond is a solid player in his own right.

With Norris and Ramos though, Norris's bat is so head and shoulders better than Ramos's that it would make a big difference if Norris was moved to 1B, and would actually hurt the team.
But do you really want such an offensive juggernaut getting beat up behind the plate? (And don't reference Mauer. He'll be DHing soon enough.)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #43: September 07, 2010, 01:22:03 AM »
Yes.

Norris behind the plate = multi time all-star

Norris at 1B = Derrek Lee type player

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #44: September 07, 2010, 01:22:56 AM »
Yes.

Norris behind the plate = multi time all-star

Norris at 1B = Derek Lee type player
Hmm. Okay. Sounds good to me.

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #45: September 07, 2010, 01:26:26 AM »
Espinosa is closer to Wilson Ramos than he is to Solis. Espinosa is a possible 5+ WAR in his prime. Marrero is ranked too high. I don't see what is so special about his bat. You don't win if you rely on Chris Marrero's.

Marrero still has major league potential, you can't deny that. The writer said '' proven bat '', he has hit for above average results thus far in all of minor league levels (besides short season and AAA ) .

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #46: September 07, 2010, 01:29:31 AM »
Marrero still has major league potential, you can't deny that. The writer said '' proven bat '', he has hit for above average results thus far in all of minor league levels (besides short season and AAA ) .

Yay. We've got a mediocre 1B on the way.

Offline natstime

« Reply #47: September 07, 2010, 06:25:30 AM »
Besides I'm pretty sure Norris is really short.  Usually like 1Bs to be tall.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #48: September 07, 2010, 09:46:26 AM »
I really love Norris's bat, but I don't really have any idea how far along he is on defense.  Can anyone give me an idea of how he is right now and how far he has to go to be a major league catcher?

Offline blue911

« Reply #49: September 07, 2010, 09:49:09 AM »
I really love Norris's bat, but I don't really have any idea how far along he is on defense.  Can anyone give me an idea of how he is right now and how far he has to go to be a major league catcher?

He no longer has the Beer Truck for a manager, so he has to improving.