Author Topic: Wilson Ramos Appreciation Thread  (Read 21503 times)

Offline Optics

Wilson Ramos Appreciation Thread
« Topic Start: April 10, 2013, 12:29:41 PM »
Wilson Ramos is one of my favorite players on the team. I think people forgot just how good he was as a rookie: ~.260 average with 15 bombs is damn good for a rookie. He'll be a 20+ homer with solid average guy, and he's also been walking a lot.

Not only should he play more often, he should move up in the batting order. I'd hit him over Espi for sure.

Offline MorseTheHorse

Re: Wilson Ramos Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1: April 10, 2013, 08:09:36 PM »
Hear hear!  Ramos is our #8 hitter and Detwiler our fifth starter.  That's about all you need to know about how good the Nats are this year

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #2: April 10, 2013, 08:19:02 PM »
:thumbs:

I like him just fine

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #3: April 10, 2013, 08:43:30 PM »
My fantasy team loves him every other day

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #4: April 10, 2013, 09:18:50 PM »
Definitely agree with you here - although I think he should bat ahead of Desmond

Wilson Ramos is one of my favorite players on the team. I think people forgot just how good he was as a rookie: ~.260 average with 15 bombs is damn good for a rookie. He'll be a 20+ homer with solid average guy, and he's also been walking a lot.

Not only should he play more often, he should move up in the batting order. I'd hit him over Espi for sure.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #5: April 10, 2013, 09:43:05 PM »
I don't mind the catchers batting 8th too much.  I can see wanting a guy with more patience than ID/DE batting before the pitcher because they are not going to see much to hit.  Also, a slow guy like the catchers probably could benefit more from the pitcher's bunting than a faster guy who could take an extra base on a hit or might want to steal.  I think what Davey's doing works for this team.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #6: April 10, 2013, 09:58:14 PM »
Nats haven't lost when Wilson has started behind the plate in 2013.

:thumbs:

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #7: April 11, 2013, 04:17:22 AM »
Its good to have both him and Suzuki, both can handle a bat.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #8: April 11, 2013, 09:23:01 AM »
Suzuki had 3 walks last night!  The one where he had a guy on in front of him with no outs was really outstanding.  Allowed JZ to bunt guys over for a 2nd and 3rd with one out situation.  One walk was intentional, but that's still really good.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #9: April 11, 2013, 10:44:03 AM »
Ramos should be getting 5-6 starts a week.
No way. Suzuki is a starting caliber catcher who needs playing time and Wilson Ramos coming off an injury doesn't need to be used as a workhorse.

Our depth at catcher will result in a couple extra wins, imo. Most teams in the league, including Nats past few seasons, have had to use backup catchers who were adequate defensively and you just ignored the offense. Now we have a couple catchers who start for many clubs.

Offline Ed Stroud

« Reply #10: April 11, 2013, 11:18:53 AM »
I don't mind the catchers batting 8th too much.  I can see wanting a guy with more patience than ID/DE batting before the pitcher because they are not going to see much to hit.  Also, a slow guy like the catchers probably could benefit more from the pitcher's bunting than a faster guy who could take an extra base on a hit or might want to steal.  I think what Davey's doing works for this team.

This makes sense, but I am staring to wonder how good Wilson could be with a bat behind him

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #11: April 11, 2013, 12:36:38 PM »
Is defensive subbing at the catcher position in the playoffs a thing?  B/c I can totally see an argument for it with Ramos and Suzuki.   Yea we'd be screwed if Suzuki got hurt and then had to go to an emergency catcher, but that seems like a real unlikely event. 

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #12: April 11, 2013, 12:41:05 PM »
And you really can't call him a Buffalo anymore - He's svelter - so he's like an Elk now

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #13: April 11, 2013, 01:02:30 PM »
And you really can't call him a Buffalo anymore - He's svelter - so he's like an Elk now
I think Moose

Offline BH34Natural

« Reply #14: April 11, 2013, 01:15:33 PM »
one of my favorite Nats ever. I think Ramos is going to have a great career here.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause

Offline Ray D

« Reply #16: April 11, 2013, 04:34:36 PM »
  Also, a slow guy like the catchers probably could benefit more from the pitcher's bunting

Well, that can work against you too. On opening day he got on base twice (with less than two outs), both times Strasburg laid down good bunts, and both times I thought the catcher could have gotten the force at second.

Offline blue911

« Reply #17: April 11, 2013, 04:44:31 PM »
Well, that can work against you too. On opening day he got on base twice (with less than two outs), both times Strasburg laid down good bunts, and both times I thought the catcher could have gotten the force at second.

Could have except on both plays the pitcher fielded the ball.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #18: April 11, 2013, 04:52:36 PM »
Could have except on both plays the pitcher fielded the ball.
I think that makes it even easier.   The catcher has the best view but if he's busy making the play he doesn't see where the runner is; if the pitcher makes the play the catcher can yell for him to go to second.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #19: April 11, 2013, 04:57:08 PM »
Suzuki had 3 walks last night!  The one where he had a guy on in front of him with no outs was really outstanding.  Allowed JZ to bunt guys over for a 2nd and 3rd with one out situation.  One walk was intentional, but that's still really good.

Yeah, I was commenting on that last night at the game when he came up for his 4th AB. A number 8 hitter getting walked his first 3 ABs is ridiculous. What a gift from the White Sox. Nothing against Suzuki (or Ramos), I like the both for what they do at the plate. And most of our pitchers can be productive at the plate doing he little things they are supposed to do. So, I love when they walk the number 8 guy and allow the pitcher to bat.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #20: April 11, 2013, 05:05:39 PM »
In the "old days" (50 years ago) #8 hitter getting walked was common, especially with two outs and runners on (unless bases loaded) . You wanted to be sure he didn't drive in a run so you walked him to get to the pitcher.  Times have changed, now the philosophy is, get that #8 guy out so the pitcher has to lead off next inning.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #21: April 11, 2013, 10:24:52 PM »
5-0 as the starter.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #22: April 13, 2013, 04:07:25 PM »
5-1 as the starter, and headed to the DL for a few weeks with a pulled hammy. Solano likely coming up.

Offline Dixon Ward

« Reply #23: April 13, 2013, 04:25:04 PM »
injured again. crap.  :spaz:

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #24: April 13, 2013, 04:57:39 PM »
Looks like he's headed to the DL.