Author Topic: Red Loft  (Read 5863 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Red Loft
« Topic Start: March 24, 2009, 11:10:17 PM »
I remember hearing last year that the club was thinking of expanding the Red Loft to make it bigger for this season.  Any word on whether this happened?  I liked the addition of the Miller Lite Scoreboard Walk. 

Also I wish they'd hurry up with finishing construction of the bars/restaurants/shops/etc outside the park soon.

Re: Red Loft
« Reply #1: March 24, 2009, 11:12:49 PM »
Also I wish they'd hurry up with finishing construction of the bars/restaurants/shops/etc outside the park soon.

Definitely this. I remember going to a Indians game in Cleveland and whole area is surrounded by bars and restaurants catering to the team. Hundreds of merry Tribe fans pre-gaming. It was awesome.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #2: March 24, 2009, 11:18:17 PM »
I just want that damned baseball on top of the red loft! They teased us with it in the early stadium design and then cut it out. What was that all about? Bring it back....

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #3: March 24, 2009, 11:53:27 PM »
Your economic stimulus money is working on this.  And NatAddict's stadium.   

Definitely this. I remember going to a Indians game in Cleveland and whole area is surrounded by bars and restaurants catering to the team. Hundreds of merry Tribe fans pre-gaming. It was awesome.

« Reply #4: March 24, 2009, 11:56:17 PM »
Your economic stimulus money is working on this.  And NatAddict's stadium.   

The country will be better for it, I promise.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: March 25, 2009, 07:07:29 AM »
I just want that damned baseball on top of the red loft! They teased us with it in the early stadium design and then cut it out. What was that all about? Bring it back.... (Image removed from quote.)

Maybe there's a hidden spending earmark for this.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #6: March 25, 2009, 07:33:12 AM »
I remember hearing last year that the club was thinking of expanding the Red Loft to make it bigger for this season.  Any word on whether this happened?  I liked the addition of the Miller Lite Scoreboard Walk. 

Yes, they are expanding the Red Loft. That work is in progress. In terms of bars and restaurants around the area, that has to come in a natural order of progression. It is important to remember that the stadium was not only not plopped into an existing neighborhood but into an area that was being leveled to make way for a completely new neighborhood. That is very comprehensively planned, documented very well on jdland, and involves a combination of new construction, the complete remodeling of some existing buildings in and around the navy yard, and the building of a combination of parks and waterfront space.

All of that takes time. And you need to have buildings finished before tenants (businesses) can move in, and other buildings and townhomes finished before renters and owners move in that support those businesses. There has to be enough in place to support those types of establishments, and they are the last things that usually go in as they are the hardest to make work. Until there are businesses leasing space and residents occupying the condos, apartments, and houses, the support businesses won't have any customers. And none of that can even occur until the buildings themselves are completed. So that is still a year or two away before we really see some of that start to happen, and it is probably 3 to 5 before things are really mature.

In the mean time, people will have to do what all the residents of the surrounding neighborhood do who walk to and from the game - walk the ten minutes it takes to any number of stretches of existing bars and restaurants.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #7: March 25, 2009, 09:52:57 AM »
The economic crash is also having a major delaying impact on projects around the area.  Lehman was a major underwiter of a big building on Half Street (as I recall) but with their collapse, the project died for the time being. 

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #8: March 25, 2009, 09:59:13 AM »
Red Loft had three rows of seats at the start of the season last year, they took out the last row because the bar patrons seemed to have a problem with alchol abuse (they were spilling beers onto the folks seated in the third row).
Not sure how else they can 'expand' it.
It looks as if they're getting a new vendor for the 'resturant' on the Red Porch but none of that was apparent at Nats Fest in January...heck, they still had shrink wrap over the seats on the Red Porch.
I'm looking forward to getting back inside the park on the 4th!

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #9: March 25, 2009, 10:06:42 AM »
The economic crash is also having a major delaying impact on projects around the area.  Lehman was a major underwiter of a big building on Half Street (as I recall) but with their collapse, the project died for the time being. 

Jeez, an abandoned building on Half Street. Shocking. :lol:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #10: March 25, 2009, 10:47:02 AM »
galah - from what I heard they were planning on expanding the red loft to the side (jutting out to center, i'm assuming) ... but that would block the view of the capitol and also would block a clear path to the bathroom behind the red loft.

shoeshine - any update on what they are exactly working on and when it will be completed?

i understand about the outside bars/shops/etc, I knew that combined with a first year ballpark and the economy and where it is today, that we'd better get ready for more delays.

Offline Natskins

« Reply #11: March 25, 2009, 12:31:22 PM »

This is true. What shoeshineboy says is basically true, but the economy has really put the brakes on things. Development was expected to be moving more briskly than it is, before the economy tanked.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: March 25, 2009, 02:25:31 PM »
I thought the major improvements were not to the Loft, but to the Porch - opening up the place to the outdoors, both towards the field and backwards towards the entrance / arcade areas.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #13: March 25, 2009, 02:33:36 PM »
Maybe there's a hidden spending earmark for this.

I wish. If there's gonna be pork, at least let it be for a baseball on the red loft.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #14: March 25, 2009, 02:41:17 PM »
I wish. If there's gonna be pork, at least let it be for a baseball on the red loft.

Pork for Beer.  Though usually, I make it over to Red, Hot and Blue, and get some (pulled) pork to go WITH my beer.

« Reply #15: March 25, 2009, 02:42:40 PM »
Pork for Beer.  Though usually, I make it over to Red, Hot and Blue, and get some (pulled) pork to go WITH my beer.

Not this year you aren't. RH&B is pulling out of Nats Park due to our economic times I heard.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #16: March 25, 2009, 02:43:43 PM »
Not this year you aren't. RH&B is pulling out of Nats Park due to our economic times I heard.

Ugh...really? That sucks.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #17: March 25, 2009, 02:46:39 PM »
    :shock:        :(

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #18: March 25, 2009, 02:47:38 PM »

As long as they have a large stock of curly w pretzels and barrels of miller lite, you won't hear any complaints from me.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #19: March 25, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »

here's hoping Rocklands gets the spot :pray:

They need a bbq place, right?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #20: March 25, 2009, 03:02:28 PM »
St. Louis is a lot like that too.  Awesome.  

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #21: March 25, 2009, 03:05:11 PM »
St. Louis is a lot like that too.  Awesome.  

we actually may be the only team without that, then again I've never seen a game in Florida

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #22: March 25, 2009, 03:09:21 PM »
KC doesn't.  Aren't the Yanks in a bad neighborhood.  The White Sox don't have much around theirs either, you can see the projects from the upper deck, IIRC. Coors Field is sorta on the fringe of downtown.  I'm pretty sure Tampa and the Marlins are surrounded by parking lots out in the middle of nowhere.  Dodger Stadium is too, plus it's on the side of a ravine. 

There are others that have little athmosphere surrounding the stadium.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #23: March 25, 2009, 03:16:42 PM »
I realize it's cheaper to drink outside of the ball park, but if I'm going to the game...I'm going into the park!

Offline Natskins

« Reply #24: March 25, 2009, 03:19:21 PM »
Another for the list...Shea Stadium is in the middle of nowhere, and their new stadium is right next door to Shea.