Author Topic: Running thread..  (Read 16122 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Running thread..
« Reply #250: June 11, 2012, 12:32:02 PM »
A lot of newer thinking says don't stretch before you run... just walk, then run gently, then increase speed.

Stretch gently, only after you are warm.

Works for me.    In addition, I never run "on the clock" or "mileage".    My whole run is predicated on how I feel.   When I hit a comfortable pace (varies daily), I stay there.   I have different routes for how I feel also.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #251: June 11, 2012, 01:22:48 PM »
The thing I find is that if I warm up slowly, I can run faster and longer. If I leave the driveway running, I'm gassed in a couple of miles, and it's all a struggle.
Works for me.    In addition, I never run "on the clock" or "mileage".    My whole run is predicated on how I feel.   When I hit a comfortable pace (varies daily), I stay there.   I have different routes for how I feel also.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #252: June 11, 2012, 01:43:31 PM »
The thing I find is that if I warm up slowly, I can run faster and longer. If I leave the driveway running, I'm gassed in a couple of miles, and it's all a struggle.

There's another "older" guy who I talk to and we often joke that the first 1/4 mile is the hardest.    You never know what's gonna hurt today.    After that you can find a pace and a route for that day.    When I leave the driveway, I have no clue how fast or how far I'll run that day.   Sometime, after a mile or two, I find I feel much better than I did when I started.    Listen to your body.   

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #253: June 11, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »

i've always run lightly for 5 min stopped and stretched, then started the main portion of the run.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #254: June 11, 2012, 03:42:59 PM »
If I listened to my body, all I'd hear is "Woah! Woah! Woah! What the #$#% are you doing? Sit your @ss back down." ;)

There's another "older" guy who I talk to and we often joke that the first 1/4 mile is the hardest.    You never know what's gonna hurt today.    After that you can find a pace and a route for that day.    When I leave the driveway, I have no clue how fast or how far I'll run that day.   Sometime, after a mile or two, I find I feel much better than I did when I started.    Listen to your body.   

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #255: June 11, 2012, 04:04:08 PM »
all I know is that on Tuesday when I went out after eating poorly early in the day and going out cold, my body shut down.  On Wednesday and Friday when I ate better and did a little stretching (it was pretty light) it was much easier to make it.  I do walk a couple of blocks before I start on the run, too.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #256: June 11, 2012, 05:44:24 PM »
If I listened to my body, all I'd hear is "Woah! Woah! Woah! What the #$#% are you doing? Sit your @ss back down." ;)

My body doesn't even wanna get out of bed.   :)

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #257: June 11, 2012, 05:53:03 PM »
There's no doubt that eating well makes a big difference. It can be huge. I was just pinging on the stretching. You are young, so maybe it doesn't matter. When you get to your 50s, you gotta take every advantage you can. So I warm up before I stretch. ;)
all I know is that on Tuesday when I went out after eating poorly early in the day and going out cold, my body shut down.  On Wednesday and Friday when I ate better and did a little stretching (it was pretty light) it was much easier to make it.  I do walk a couple of blocks before I start on the run, too.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #258: July 09, 2012, 11:43:54 AM »
As long as I can remember I've been told that I'm an underpronator. I have a tendancy to land on the outside of my foot and, if I'm not careful, roll my ankle. I've also been told that because of this, cushioned shoes are the best shoes for me. I've also been told to stay away from the stability/control shoes.

Is this accurate? If so, what running shoes should I be looking in to buying? My current pair are quite worn ...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #259: July 19, 2012, 08:03:11 PM »
Did ya ever run and miss a turn?    I was out the other day at oh dark thirty and missed my regular turn through a church parking lot.   I must have been zoning and discarding "baggage" and missed the turn I usually take.   It dawned on me that I wasn't sure where I was and then realized I was at the far end of the lot.    My wife said it sounds like the IPod commercial but I didn't have music.   It was all mental.   :P

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #260: July 19, 2012, 10:12:06 PM »
As long as I can remember I've been told that I'm an underpronator. I have a tendancy to land on the outside of my foot and, if I'm not careful, roll my ankle. I've also been told that because of this, cushioned shoes are the best shoes for me. I've also been told to stay away from the stability/control shoes.

Is this accurate? If so, what running shoes should I be looking in to buying? My current pair are quite worn ...

when i last bought cushioned shoes at my local running store they filmed me running a treadmill and evaluated my landing.  They gave me the same report that you got and they gave me a pair of shoes that were designed to compensate with extra support on the outside.  I never had any problems with them (New Balance 768).

Online Slateman

« Reply #261: July 23, 2012, 08:51:24 PM »
when i last bought cushioned shoes at my local running store they filmed me running a treadmill and evaluated my landing.  They gave me the same report that you got and they gave me a pair of shoes that were designed to compensate with extra support on the outside.  I never had any problems with them (New Balance 768).

When was this?

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
« Reply #262: July 24, 2012, 12:27:03 PM »
Slate...if you have a "The Running Store" near you then go in there and they will do the treadmill thing for free.  Of course they will probably recommend $100+ running shoes but I know some guys that swear by it.

Online Slateman

« Reply #263: July 24, 2012, 01:29:42 PM »
Eh, I've had it done before. I know what I need. But they really don't make a shoe for underpronators. They just say get a cushioned shoe, when what I want is a stability/motion control shoe that goes the opposite way.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #264: July 24, 2012, 01:58:13 PM »
Hope this ain't a real dumb question but I have a feeling it is.    Do shoes make that much of a difference?    I'm old (north of 60) and never pay more than $50 for a pair of "running shoes".    Last time I  had my feet evaluated was when I looked into that old x-ray machine in the shoe store so I could see where my toes were.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #265: July 24, 2012, 02:09:15 PM »
I find that I'm much more comfortable wearing the lightest shoes possible, others prefer certain kinds of padding and support. The barefoot people point to the dearth of scientific studies showing any benefit from padding (then again the same applies to them)

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
« Reply #266: July 24, 2012, 04:37:56 PM »
Hope this ain't a real dumb question but I have a feeling it is.    Do shoes make that much of a difference?    I'm old (north of 60) and never pay more than $50 for a pair of "running shoes".    Last time I  had my feet evaluated was when I looked into that old x-ray machine in the shoe store so I could see where my toes were.

How much are you running a week?  I think that makes a ton of difference.  Kind of like golfing.  If you're a 20 handicap then a great set of clubs isn't going to make you a 5 handicap.  If you are running 5 miles a week I don't think $150 pair of shoes will really make much of a difference.  Unless you are wearing something that is completely wrong for your feet then you could potentially hurt yourself (back and foot problems specifically).

Offline mitlen

« Reply #267: July 24, 2012, 06:27:55 PM »
How much are you running a week?  I think that makes a ton of difference.  Kind of like golfing.  If you're a 20 handicap then a great set of clubs isn't going to make you a 5 handicap.  If you are running 5 miles a week I don't think $150 pair of shoes will really make much of a difference.  Unless you are wearing something that is completely wrong for your feet then you could potentially hurt yourself (back and foot problems specifically).

I do 3 days a week between 3 and 5 miles (usually) per outing.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #268: July 24, 2012, 06:50:23 PM »
As a barefoot runner, I would say the more expensive the shoe, the worse it is for you. But that's just me. ;)

Online Slateman

« Reply #269: July 24, 2012, 07:04:51 PM »
Yea, I've done that. Not for me. Too many idiots leaving broken bottles and screws around.

So I bought a pair of Brooks Glycerin 10s. Comes with a 15 day trial so we'll so how they are. It says it's for a neutral shoe but it felt like the outer edge was slightly larger. Or maybe it was just the way it fit my foot. Either way, it sounds like what I need to prevent a roll of my ankle. I'll try it em out for the next two weeks. If I like em, I'll just keep em. If not, I'll return them.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #270: July 24, 2012, 07:25:17 PM »
I do have a clean place to run. I have never cut my foot running barefoot (and I have run over broken bottle glass, but not the nasty little shards that would imbed themselves). The bottom of my feet are pretty leathery by now.

But think about how to prevent rolling your ankle: you need to eliminate the platform. It's very difficult to sprain your ankle barefoot. Or in barefoot style shoes (VIVOBAREFOOT, Leming, Merrell, Altra, others) that have no height at all and force you to land forefoot.

You roll your ankle when there's a hard edge to roll over. The thicker and taller the cushion and sharper the edge, the more damaging the roll will be.

I think that's just physics.

Yea, I've done that. Not for me. Too many idiots leaving broken bottles and screws around.

So I bought a pair of Brooks Glycerin 10s. Comes with a 15 day trial so we'll so how they are. It says it's for a neutral shoe but it felt like the outer edge was slightly larger. Or maybe it was just the way it fit my foot. Either way, it sounds like what I need to prevent a roll of my ankle. I'll try it em out for the next two weeks. If I like em, I'll just keep em. If not, I'll return them.

Online Slateman

« Reply #271: July 24, 2012, 07:29:14 PM »
I've done it barefoot. Usually on a clean place like turn for packed sand. I'm far more prone to it now since it has been done in the Marines with gear one. When I get a chance in a week or two, I will be going to the doctor to get my ankles and knee evaluated. I have a feeling I have stretched tendons out to the point where they can't heal all the way.

I wear my Vibrams for sprints in grass or something similarly soft. Also for weight lifting. But not distance. I'm just as likely to break a toe (two of my friends have broken multiple toes with the minimalist shoes).

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #272: July 24, 2012, 08:06:07 PM »
As a barefoot runner, I would say the more expensive the shoe, the worse it is for you. But that's just me. ;)

Vivos get pretty pricey if you buy top of the line, the again, the rubber onmy mid range ones is so hard they should last for years

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #273: July 24, 2012, 08:37:55 PM »
Yeah, and I admit to doing about half my miles in them. The other half is shoe-free.

Be glad you didn't buy the Ultras. We bought them for my son and they're half gone in about 20 miles.

Vivos get pretty pricey if you buy top of the line, the again, the rubber onmy mid range ones is so hard they should last for years

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #274: July 24, 2012, 08:39:47 PM »
I guess there's the danger of that. The worse I've ever done is scuff the ball of my foot on the blacktop. Were your friends wearing Vibrams? The others do a better job of protecting your toes.

I've done it barefoot. Usually on a clean place like turn for packed sand. I'm far more prone to it now since it has been done in the Marines with gear one. When I get a chance in a week or two, I will be going to the doctor to get my ankles and knee evaluated. I have a feeling I have stretched tendons out to the point where they can't heal all the way.

I wear my Vibrams for sprints in grass or something similarly soft. Also for weight lifting. But not distance. I'm just as likely to break a toe (two of my friends have broken multiple toes with the minimalist shoes).