Author Topic: Welcome New Members, Introduce Yourself!  (Read 417282 times)

Offline Ed Stroud

New guy here.  My (adult) children are gradually becoming Nats fans.  Hard to believe that a whole generation grew up without baseball in D.C.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
New guy here.  My (adult) children are gradually becoming Nats fans.  Hard to believe that a whole generation grew up without baseball in D.C.

There's another Ed Stroud on the board  ...  wild.    Welcome !

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
JCA - everyone knows Knorr and BiL are the only two catchers here...

:?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
There's another Ed Stroud on the board  ...  wild.    Welcome !

Hummm, this could be a bit confusing I'm afraid.  Mods may need to huddle behind closed doors on this one.

Offline Ed Stroud

Hummm, this could be a bit confusing I'm afraid.  Mods may need to huddle behind closed doors on this one.

Figured that it would tell me to pick another name if ES was taken.  Anyway I am a Terp, so we've got something in common.

Offline houston-nat

Figured that it would tell me to pick another name if ES was taken.

The other fellow goes by EdStroud without a space.

Anyway, howdy from Texas!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Ed Stroud and EdStroud are sort of like Whitehouse.gov and Whitehouse.com used to be. 

Welcome aboard to the board!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Figured that it would tell me to pick another name if ES was taken.  Anyway I am a Terp, so we've got something in common.

Well, why didn't you say so!

We can have EdStroud change his name.

:lol:

Offline Obed_Marsh

Ed Stroud and EdStroud are sort of like Whitehouse.gov and Whitehouse.com used to be. 

And the decade of WNFF user name squatting begins. ;)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net

Wait, so you're NOT the other EdStroud?  I just assumed you were him and had forgotten your password or something.  Crap.  This is going to get REALLY confusing :lol:

Offline Obed_Marsh

Wait until people start registering "EdStróud" and "Ed Stróud". ;)

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Wait until people start registering "EdStróud" and "Ed Stróud". ;)

Well, I am looking for a new username...:)

Offline Obed_Marsh

Well, I am looking for a new username...:)

Really? The current one has so much potential for fun. Imagine all the random outbursts and temper tantrums you can throw in the name of being in character. :mg:

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Linty Fresh Minty Fresh
EdStroud Ed Stroud

Let's call the whole thing off!

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Linty Fresh Minty Fresh
EdStroud Ed Stroud

Let's call the whole thing off!

Good one :)

Offline CALSGR8

Maybe start numbering them based on seniority? 

In college, I knew 2 Toms.  So when had a conversation about one of them you had to clarify if was Tom 1 or Tom 2.   

When I worked for the Navy there were 4 engineers in my unit named John!

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
JCA - everyone knows Knorr and BiL are the only two catchers here...

Say what?

Re screen name, got mine off a T-shirt I was wearing when I created my account on another board way back then.

Offline CALSGR8

Bil the rest is just details

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
Hi everyone! I'm a semi-new fan who decided to follow this baseball season closely after feeling empty after the end of the NFL season, and I'm in love! I've been a fan of the Nats since they were the Expos in Montreal (watched a few of their games as a elementary school student in the early '00s when I lived in Canada) and was really happy when they moved down to DC. I'm finally starting to understand the sport more and I love being able to watch and know all the player's names, how they hit, pitch, field, etc. It's a real blast and I can't wait for the rest of this season.

I've also been able to go to 3 games and I hope to attend quite a few more! I also recently learned how to keep a scorecard and that's kept me very engaged during games.

Name: Victoria
Favorite Players: Too many to choose! Though I really like Ryan, Ankiel, Gio, Strausberg, Harper, list could go on...

Offline CALSGR8

Welcome last objective!  Yeah, I love this cast of characters too!

Offline Jayman77

Well, hello again, WNFFers!  After visiting these boards every once in a while for the past few days, I decided to rejoin.  I see that a lot of the old-timers are still here (The Chief, tomterp, PC, CALSGR8, OldChelsea [who I know from the Capitals message boards], etc....even good ol' sportsfan882!  Looks like he's toned the negativity down a notch...just messin' with you, SF!).  I've only been to the home opener so far this year, and with my family and I living in Fredericksburg now instead of Vienna, it's a bit more of a trek to make it to games.  Doesn't mean I'm any less of a diehard Nats fan, who is pleasantly surprised by the team's great start, and I hope they can keep it up!  So anyway, glad to be back! 

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
Love the avatar lastobjective.

Offline saltydad

A big welcome to all the above new members here. Love for the game of baseball, our Nats, and a strong sense of humor seem to be the major predictors of wnff success.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
I've also been able to go to 3 games and I hope to attend quite a few more! I also recently learned how to keep a scorecard and that's kept me very engaged during games.

My wife (MrsMorse) was really ambivalent towards baseball until I took her to one game six years ago.  She really got hooked on the strategy and "battles" of the game once she started scoring the games.  Do you use a scorebook or an iPad/iPhone/Droid app to score games?

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
My wife (MrsMorse) was really ambivalent towards baseball until I took her to one game six years ago.  She really got hooked on the strategy and "battles" of the game once she started scoring the games.  Do you use a scorebook or an iPad/iPhone/Droid app to score games?

I actually called my grandfather up for help, and we just printed a scorecard, some of the rules/markings, and brought a pencil. I could probably do it on my phone but paper seems more fun and tangible. Though I'm sure the phone doesn't forget the symbols like I do ("now which type of strikeout uses a reverse K?")

The cool thing is that they will usually put up the scoreboard the right scorecard symbol after every successful at bat (whether it's an out, strikeout, or hit). So if I didn't catch in exactly which order the ball was thrown to players (can be a bit tricky for double plays) or I forgot the symbol, it comes up on the scoreboard. The scoring will appear under the "Scoring" box, right above the score. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

And the battles are awesome! I didn't realize they existed until I tried my hand at scoring.