Author Topic: Running thread..  (Read 16114 times)

Offline eckseid

Running thread..
« Topic Start: September 30, 2011, 12:55:06 PM »
Can't remember if we have a running thread or not, so if we do, merge this into it please.

Was just wondering if anyone has done the couch to 5k plan? http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Also, I'm looking for a good armband for the iPhone 4 for running if anyone has any suggestions.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Running thread..
« Reply #1: September 30, 2011, 01:07:37 PM »
I started the couch to 5K program, but found the clock timing to be just too difficult. What I did instead was count strides in blocks of 200, so I started running 25 and walking 175, then 50 and 150, then 100 and 100... you get the picture. I'm old (52) so I did not push myself. It took me two months to get to running full time.

I get antsy now I if don't run three miles a day, and five mile days are common. I still run slow, though. Like 11 minute miles. I'm going to work on speed a little more now that I've got some level of CV fitness.

The think that really allowed me to start running again was... doing it barefoot. There are lots of good web sites on barefoot running out there. Barefoot running changes your stride dramatically, so you take shorter steps more frequently and land on your forefoot, outside first then roll in. (very much like when your run in place.) It's murder on your calves for the first month, but knees, hips, back, etc. feel great. There's a park where I run with a paved path around it, without busted glass, etc. I run to it in my shoes (NB MT101s, very low heel lift), then take them off to do my three miles.

For the winter, I'm looking at the Merrell "glove" shoes, which have zero heel lift, zero arch, are very flexible, but do not look like Vibram FFs, a look which I could just not pull off. The Merrells look an awful lot like regular running shoes.

The only downside of barefoot running is you quickly come to hate shoes of any kind. I'm next going to buy some of those driving mocasins to wear to work (the ones that look like loafers) because any heel at all drives me insane.
Can't remember if we have a running thread or not, so if we do, merge this into it please.

Was just wondering if anyone has done the couch to 5k program? http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Also, I'm looking for a good armband for the iPhone 4 for running if anyone has any suggestions.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #2: October 12, 2011, 04:46:26 PM »
Did three miles last night in just under 30 minutes. I was thoroughly psyched by that, given that I'm old and still a little chunky.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #3: October 12, 2011, 04:48:36 PM »
Impressive.  I might still be able to finish ONE mile in ten minutes but I'd probably collapse in a heap and die afterwards :lol: :-[

Online blue911

« Reply #4: October 12, 2011, 04:53:08 PM »
Did three miles last night in just under 30 minutes. I was thoroughly psyched by that, given that I'm old and still a little chunky.

What did you steal?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #5: October 12, 2011, 04:54:36 PM »
I checked the times of some folks on a recent 5K "Fun Run" (that's 3.1 miles, I think) recently.

There were recreational runners turning in times in the 14 minute range. :|

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #6: October 12, 2011, 04:55:18 PM »

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #7: October 12, 2011, 05:26:10 PM »

What do you mean by "old"?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #8: October 12, 2011, 05:29:17 PM »
Not as old as you. ;)

I'm 52.
What do you mean by "old"?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #9: October 12, 2011, 05:33:49 PM »
I'm 52.

Not quite that young.    LOL   As you may know, I run.    I like to get an idea of how old folks time out.   Keep up the good work Gburg.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #10: October 12, 2011, 06:09:23 PM »
Awesome work Gburg.  I did 3.2 miles today on the elliptical on level 19 out of 20.  I'm about to buy some new running shoes so I can start doing 5 miles a day on the flat grounds of the mean streets of The Danger Zone.  What kind of running shoes do you guys wear? 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #11: October 12, 2011, 06:24:18 PM »
I'm thinking about taking this approach to running (and a couple other areas of my life).  Should probably start doing and less thinking...

http://michaelhyatt.com/the-power-of-incremental-change-over-time.html
(*note*, link is religious in nature)

Offline eckseid

« Reply #12: October 12, 2011, 06:36:59 PM »
Good work Gburg, hope to get to that point in the next few months. :P

MDS: I wear Asics. http://www.asicsamerica.com/

I'm on week 2 of the c25k program, with 1 day remaining. Week 3 doesn't look fun. :(

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #13: October 12, 2011, 06:46:18 PM »
I'm contemplating buying these in a week or so:

http://www.zappos.com/product/7832364/color/305055

Offline eckseid

« Reply #14: October 12, 2011, 06:49:59 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I tried on a shoe with Nike+ and it just didn't feel good. The Nike+ chip or w/e was pushing into the sole of my foot. Had the shoe not had that, I would've gotten that pair. Try them on somewhere before you buy them.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #15: October 12, 2011, 06:52:49 PM »
That's my plan, I'm going go to Dicks or some other sporting goods store and try some out before I buy.  The biggest problem is that in some shoes I wear a 14, which is often hard to find at brick-and-mortar stores.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #16: October 12, 2011, 07:11:38 PM »
Pacers Running Store is an excellent place to find a pair(s) of running shoes.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #17: October 12, 2011, 07:21:24 PM »
I run barefoot most of the time, including last night (I have a great place to run with no broken glass, etc.).

When I'm forced to wear shoes, I wear my NB MT101s, but I'm switching to these shortly, because I can't stand any heel elevation anymore. Cold weather is coming, so I'll be spending most of my running time in shoes.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #18: October 12, 2011, 07:26:05 PM »
Dicks has a really good selection of shoes for a big box sporting goods store.
That's my plan, I'm going go to Dicks or some other sporting goods store and try some out before I buy.  The biggest problem is that in some shoes I wear a 14, which is often hard to find at brick-and-mortar stores.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #19: October 12, 2011, 07:47:30 PM »
I think Dick's also has some shoes in size 14.   

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #20: October 12, 2011, 07:54:03 PM »

you live in crystal city- in back of pentagon row is a great running shop- try on there, but online

Offline eckseid

« Reply #21: October 12, 2011, 08:05:40 PM »
I think Dick's also has some shoes in size 14.   

Dicks is good if you like a lot of options. However, I would suggest going to a store that specializes in running. Get them to fit you and what not, then buy the shoe online or see if dicks has it.

I run barefoot most of the time, including last night (I have a great place to run with no broken glass, etc.).

When I'm forced to wear shoes, I wear my NB MT101s, but I'm switching to these shortly, because I can't stand any heel elevation anymore. Cold weather is coming, so I'll be spending most of my running time in shoes.

No running barefoot around here. The pavement isn't flat/smooth and I have no idea where a good place would be for that.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #22: October 12, 2011, 09:08:28 PM »
you live in crystal city- in back of pentagon row is a great running shop- try on there, but online

If they've got them there in my size I got no problem dropping a C note on a pair of bad azz kicks.  Still being a total fatazz I'm leery of going to running stores for the same reason I stay away from bike stores.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #23: October 12, 2011, 09:37:22 PM »
If they've got them there in my size I got no problem dropping a C note on a pair of bad azz kicks.  Still being a total fatazz I'm leery of going to running stores for the same reason I stay away from bike stores.

My fat ass has gone in there with my very pregnant wife- they were actually really helpful

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #24: October 12, 2011, 10:16:10 PM »
Not as old as you. ;)

I'm 52.

Very impressive!  :clap: