Author Topic: Jim Northrup 71 Obit/ '68 Tigers  (Read 1011 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Jim Northrup 71 Obit/ '68 Tigers
« Reply #2: June 13, 2011, 12:44:20 PM »

Ain't that Bob Gibson on the mound?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3: June 13, 2011, 01:22:59 PM »
Ain't that Bob Gibson on the mound?
Totally off balance.  How can you repeat that delivery.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #4: June 13, 2011, 01:29:45 PM »
Totally off balance.  How can you repeat that delivery.

... and throw strikes :P

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #5: June 17, 2011, 07:32:22 PM »
... and throw strikes :P

...and have about a 1.12 ERA that season, causing MLB to lower the mound just to help hitters. Used to be called "the second dead-ball era". Also, I'm pretty sure that was the season when Yaz led the AL in hitting with a .301 average. Not sure any other American Leaguer hit .300.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #6: June 17, 2011, 07:52:02 PM »
'68 was an interesting year.   Flunked out of school, almost got drafted for the 2nd time, worked on the track gang in the steel mill, spent two weeks with some friends in NYC, stayed in Queens with some old HS buddies, got re-admitted to school just in time for another 2S, listened to Feliciano do the National Anthem, the '68 Tigers were an interesting crew  .... and the band played on

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #7: June 21, 2011, 09:35:19 AM »
'68 was an interesting year.   Flunked out of school, almost got drafted for the 2nd time, worked on the track gang in the steel mill, spent two weeks with some friends in NYC, stayed in Queens with some old HS buddies, got re-admitted to school just in time for another 2S, listened to Feliciano do the National Anthem, the '68 Tigers were an interesting crew  .... and the band played on
Dick MCCauliff, Gates Brown, Bill Freehan, Al Kaline and the rest of the crew. I couldn't wait to get off the school bus to see the last inning of the Tigers Win. This was before night games. What an era that was. The Tigers winning the WS saved That city for Decades. Riots, poverty turned into positive thoughts with all races sitting next to each other in the stands cheering on their beloved Tigers!  Oh... those were the days.  But like my Father in Law says..." The good old days ...are just ahead!" :lol:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #8: June 21, 2011, 11:24:07 AM »
Dick MCCauliff, Gates Brown, Bill Freehan, Al Kaline and the rest of the crew. I couldn't wait to get off the school bus to see the last inning of the Tigers Win. This was before night games. What an era that was. The Tigers winning the WS saved That city for Decades. Riots, poverty turned into positive thoughts with all races sitting next to each other in the stands cheering on their beloved Tigers!  Oh... those were the days.  But like my Father in Law says..." The good old days ...are just ahead!" :lol:

As an "old" Pirates fan, I was surprised to see Elroy Face on the roster.   Eddie Mathews?   When I was growing up as a young 3rd baseman, I wanted to be him or Don Hoak.    Of course, two years later the infamous trade of D. McLain to the Senators changed baseball in DC forever.  :)

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #9: June 21, 2011, 01:40:32 PM »
As an "old" Pirates fan, I was surprised to see Elroy Face on the roster.   Eddie Mathews?   When I was growing up as a young 3rd baseman, I wanted to be him or Don Hoak.    Of course, two years later the infamous trade of D. McLain to the Senators changed baseball in DC forever.  :)
Old Pirate catcher, Milten May lives right here in Bradenton Florida where I live.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #10: June 21, 2011, 07:00:32 PM »
Old Pirate catcher, Milten May lives right here in Bradenton Florida where I live.

Bradenton ... is that still the ST site for the Bucs?    Milt May is a "new" Pirate ('70s)  ...  LOL

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #11: June 22, 2011, 02:28:27 PM »
Bradenton ... is that still the ST site for the Bucs?    Milt May is a "new" Pirate ('70s)  ...  LOL
Yep! Training site out in the country by Mixon's fruit farm and the Field is downtown.
When Capps was with the Nats Bally and Capps would throw at the Pirates camp before ST started. Capps is a gem. Capps father died before he made all the $$$ and highlights and I know his father would be proud. Had to post that with fathers day being last weekend.

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #12: June 24, 2011, 12:11:22 PM »

Don't want to be a nag, but it is Dick McAuliffe and we should mention both Mickey(s) Stanley for his move from CF to SS(allowed Northrup to play CF) and Lolich who won games 2, 5 and 7 in the series.

Offline blue911

« Reply #13: June 24, 2011, 12:14:57 PM »
Don't want to be a nag, but it is Dick McAuliffe and we should mention both Mickey(s) Stanley for his move from CF to SS(allowed Northrup to play CF) and Lolich who won games 2, 5 and 7 in the series.

And Ray Oyler, who made every crappy hitter believe they to could play in the bigs.

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #14: June 24, 2011, 12:25:23 PM »
And Ray Oyler, who made every crappy hitter believe they to could play in the bigs.

Oyler as a hitter made Belanger look like Hornsby

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #15: July 10, 2011, 02:30:55 PM »
Just say "Al Kaline". Memories flood back...what a great ballplayer!

Offline mitlen

« Reply #16: July 10, 2011, 05:26:25 PM »
Just say "Al Kaline". Memories flood back...what a great ballplayer!