Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List (2007-2011)  (Read 113238 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #150: January 14, 2008, 01:14:22 PM »
I saw Shoot 'Em Up last night. You seriously HAVE to be into fun and stupid action flicks (like I am) to enjoy this one. It's got ridiculous one-liners and there's a really weak plot, but the action and camera work make it all worth it, IMO. It's actually pretty funny, too. I could see a lot of people not liking this one for all the wrong reasons. :D
Cool.  I have been meaning to watch this for a while now since it's been on Comcast On-Demand. 

arkymark

« Reply #151: January 30, 2008, 02:08:42 PM »
Saw The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, true story about a guy who has a stroke that leaves him with just his left eye functioning, so he decides to write a book about his experiences.  Terrifically well told story, particularly given the difficulties of the subject matter.

Not that many car chases, however.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #152: January 30, 2008, 02:21:42 PM »
Saw Home of the Brave recently; enjoyed it a lot. Just got Last King of Scotland in the mail from Netflix...really looking forward to it.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #153: February 01, 2008, 07:35:54 AM »
I saw Gone Baby Gone last night. Amazing movie. One of the best crime dramas/mysteries I've ever seen. Casey Affleck and Ed Harris are friggin fantastic. Amy Ryan was great, too, but I really dont understand why she got all the nominations and those two didn't.

Definitely recommended.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #154: February 01, 2008, 07:38:36 AM »
Just finished "3:10 to Yuma" and it was excellent.  Russell Crowe was amazing.

I just watched that last week. Ben Foster was awesome in that as well. That dude's gonna be a star someday.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #155: February 01, 2008, 04:16:13 PM »
Can't rate Last King of Scotland high enough

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #156: February 05, 2008, 06:22:31 PM »
Can't rate Last King of Scotland high enough

I'm watching that tomorrow. I've heard great things about it.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #157: February 08, 2008, 03:41:48 PM »
I saw Alpha Dog earlier this week. Anton Yelchin (the kid that gets kidnapped) is going to be a star someday. They did really well telling this story. Quite intense at times, too. I gave it a 7/10.

« Reply #158: February 09, 2008, 07:35:20 PM »
I hit "Cloverfield" today.  Wicked monster movie.  4 out of 5.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #159: February 09, 2008, 07:51:54 PM »
I'm watching that tomorrow. I've heard great things about it.

It's a fabulous movie.  I thought the ending was very disturbing.  He was a terrible dude, I have no idea how that kid survived all that, but I found the ending very disturbing.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #160: February 09, 2008, 11:07:01 PM »
Just got around to seeing An Inconvient Truth; it really blew me away, and showed a side of Al Gore I never expected to see.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #161: February 09, 2008, 11:42:44 PM »
I saw Gone Baby Gone last night. Amazing movie. One of the best crime dramas/mysteries I've ever seen. Casey Affleck and Ed Harris are friggin fantastic. Amy Ryan was great, too, but I really dont understand why she got all the nominations and those two didn't.

Definitely recommended.

Wasn't there a stupid looking romance comedy about a year ago with that title, with Ben Stiller and Carlos Mencia?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #162: February 10, 2008, 12:22:09 AM »
Wasn't there a stupid looking romance comedy about a year ago with that title, with Ben Stiller and Carlos Mencia?

haha..that's Heartbreak Kid. For a movie in the "This is supposed to be a dumb comedy" genre, its not bad at all. Stiller's father is pretty classic in that.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #163: February 10, 2008, 12:24:45 AM »
haha..that's Heartbreak Kid. For a movie in the "This is supposed to be a dumb comedy" genre, its not bad at all. Stiller's father is pretty classic in that.

Oh yeah...I connected it to "Gone Baby Gone" because that song plays in the ads.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #164: February 10, 2008, 08:02:40 AM »
I saw Wag the Dog yesterday on TV, I forgot the channel.  Very interesting movie.

TCM has 31 days of Oscar. So in the wee hours of the mourning yesterday I saw Stand By ME and Dead Poets Society.  There was a movie on before Stand By Me but right now I can't remember what it was.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #165: February 10, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »
I saw Wag the Dog yesterday on TV, I forgot the channel.  Very interesting movie.

TCM has 31 days of Oscar. So in the wee hours of the mourning yesterday I saw Stand By ME and Dead Poets Society.  There was a movie on before Stand By Me but right now I can't remember what it was.

Talk about Freudian slips :lol: I think you're still mourning the death of your washing machine and dry basement. Hope the cough gets better.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #166: February 10, 2008, 04:33:48 PM »
Perceptive!   :roll: :lol:

Actually I can barely type.  I think my cough medicine is keeping me up nights.  Either that or just the stupid basement.  I only got maybe 3 hrs. sleep last night.  So right now I'm going on fumes....

natsfan1a

« Reply #167: February 10, 2008, 04:35:51 PM »
Yes, that was a good catch, salty! :)

Hope that you are able to sleep more soundly tonite, calsgr8.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #168: February 10, 2008, 06:25:25 PM »
The Shooter was a very good action flic. Of course, I love Stephen Hunter's books!

Offline saltydad

« Reply #169: February 13, 2008, 11:52:45 PM »
Saw A Mighty Heart  tonight. I'm still emotionally raw from watching it. Filled me with positive feelings regarding the power of love and the strength of women, but so down regarding hopes for the future. See it; it's powerful!!

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #170: February 14, 2008, 12:17:19 AM »
The Shooter was a very good action flic. Of course, I love Stephen Hunter's books!

Yeah, that movie surprised me. It really was pretty good. Danny Glover threw me off a bit, but Wahlberg was really good in it.

natsfan1a

« Reply #171: February 16, 2008, 01:38:36 PM »
Last night 1c and I watched La Vie En Rose, the Edith Piaf biopic. The version that we got from Netflix is in French with English subtitles (the songs didn't have them but the dialog did). Marion Cotillard was terrific in the lead role, and the New York and Paris sets and scenes were lovely. The music was great (Piaf's original recordings with Cotillard lipsynching). The director's nonlinear approach made following the plot a challenge, but overall we both really liked it (perhaps 3 to 3.5 out of 4 stars).

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #172: February 23, 2008, 04:36:30 PM »
I saw Juno, We Own the Night, The Prestige, Silk, and Good Luck Chuck in the last few weeks.

Juno was AWESOME. I was really interested in what all the hype was about w/ this one, and it was definitely deserving. Ellen Page showed that she has the ability to be a good actress for a long time. J.K. Simmons' (the father) character really put this movie over the top for me. He was perfect in that role.

We Own the Night was also great. This was the best I've ever seen Joaquin Phoenix act. The movie kind of had a Scarface feel to it. Definitely recommended.

Prestige is a tough one for me to rate. The acting was great (Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Scarlett Johansson, and Michael Caine all gave stellar performances), but the directing/writing was a little off to me. It's a movie that's supposed to keep you guessing, but I guessed right way too early and I lost some interest near the end. I know some will really like this one, though. A lot of people seemed to.

I don't recommend Silk at all except for just going to see the cinematography and Keira Knightley. The acting was pretty good, but that type of love story has been done a million times before...and better.

Good Luck Chuck sucked, IMO. Dane Cook is just a terrible actor and the plot was just boring. Dan Fogler was good in it, though. He's pretty hilarious.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #173: February 23, 2008, 05:03:42 PM »
I saw The Blues Brothers again after many years. The music and action still was great. This time the plot dragged for me. Still worth a viewing though, especially if you haven't seen it yet and love music. Sigh, i miss John Belushi.