Author Topic: 2012/13 Offseason Discussion Thread  (Read 168687 times)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Re: 2012/13 Offseason Discussion Thread
« Reply #2300: November 29, 2012, 08:21:45 PM »
What would it take to get a starter of theirs?  Would Morse/Espi/Goodwin/Karns be enough for Matt Moore or James Shields?
Absolutely not for Moore. It might get talks started for Shields, but it would likely require more.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #2301: November 29, 2012, 08:45:39 PM »
If they need more we'll give em Moore for Moore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1h

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2302: November 29, 2012, 08:57:24 PM »
Wade Davis would work for me if Tampa is interested. McGee is still pre-arb, so I doubt that he'll get dealt. Davis, on the other hand, will be making $4 million in 2014, so he's not likely to be in Tampa's long term plans anyway.

Davis can also start so if Garcia doesn't work out, you have a plan B.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2303: November 29, 2012, 09:00:18 PM »
If Gorzo gets offered arbitration, then he probably replaces Lannan as the 5th/6th starter before we acquire another starter, and can comfortably shift back to the pen if we do get another starter.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #2304: November 29, 2012, 09:04:04 PM »
greinke

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2305: November 29, 2012, 09:26:25 PM »
If they need more we'll give em Moore for Moore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1h

What you did there, I see it.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2306: November 29, 2012, 10:24:36 PM »
Russel Martin signed with the Pirates.

Morse and Flores for Phil Hughes. Do it.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2308: November 29, 2012, 10:51:14 PM »
Best thing I've read all day today:

I will guarantee you that Greinke is aware of every move and possibility. He is a student of the game, not to mention an independent thinker. Think he wouldn’t want to join a rotation that already includes Zimmerman, Stephen Strasburg and Gio Gonzalez? Or pitch in the National League, backed by the league’s best defense?

The Nats led the National League last season in defensive efficiency, the rate at which balls in play are converted into outs. Their trade for Span, a highly rated center fielder, will make the defense even better, especially if the Nats keep LaRoche — and make no mistake, they want to keep LaRoche.

In fact, LaRoche can expect a full-court press when he attends manager Davey Johnson’s celebrity golf tournament this weekend to benefit Lighthouse Central Florida.

“I’ve been texting LaRoche all day, saying, ‘Bring your pen down here, sign your contract,’ ” Johnson said after the Nats announced the acquisition of Span for right-hander Alex Meyer, the team’s top pitching prospect.

Offline chemist

• Cheering All Zimmermen
« Reply #2309: November 29, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
Think he wouldn’t want to join a rotation that already includes Zimmerman, Stephen Strasburg and Gio Gonzalez? Or pitch in the National League, backed by the league’s best defense?

:roll:

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #2310: November 29, 2012, 11:06:03 PM »
Here is the best thing, Winter Meetings are next week.  This is the big time.  I doubt Greinke stays on the board much longer.  This might sound a bit Hammonds of me (no hard feelings bro, lol) but go all in on Greinke.

Dodgers have a lot of "pieces" but they didn't mesh too well and it has yet to be seen if they can pull it off.  Nats have better players on the field, in the rotation, in the pen and off the bench.  If I was Greinke, even though the Dodgers have more money, the Nats look like a better favorite for the WS and hopefully a ring means more to him then boatloads of cash.

He still will get boatloads of cash though...

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #2311: November 29, 2012, 11:06:27 PM »
I don't see how Greinke is in play. There's a bidding war between the two LA teams, and their television deals are two of the biggest -- the Dodgers' deal will redefine the free agent market. I think the Greinke contract sets a new standard.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2312: November 29, 2012, 11:08:36 PM »
Greinke is definitely not in play. Just doesn't seem feasible with the large extensions due to JZ and Stras in the coming years.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #2313: November 29, 2012, 11:30:54 PM »
Why?  It's not like they have a ton of money committed after 2015.  There are probably good reasons Greinke won't be a National but I don't think financial flexibility is one of them.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #2314: November 29, 2012, 11:31:30 PM »
Greinke is definitely not in play. Just doesn't seem feasible with the large extensions due to JZ and Stras in the coming years.

Don't say definitely.  Nats need one more starter.  They didn't sign Edwin Jackson.  They also don't look to be "cheaping out" and taking a cheaper option.  Generally through FA the cheaper option doesn't have the stats and anything cheaper than Edwin likely would put you at less potential wins.  If the Nats want a better option than Jackson, the market is slim.  Greinke, Haren, maybe Anibal Sanchez.  Trade market would likely be someone like Hellickson or Shields but neither will come cheap and unless the Nats unload Rendon (that still isn't enough) they likely don't have enough big name bullets to trade for one of those guys.

Yes it will be harder to sign JZ and Stras to extensions but eventually a new TV deal will be struck and the Nats would likely get close to 80-100 Mil judging by what other markets are getting.  That and cash flow may be at an all time high with more people in the stands, playoff berth(s), and hopefully a nice Commissioner's trophy and rings to go with it.

Lerner's should be like Ilitch and spend the whole lot on the team, lol.

Offline chemist

• Cheering All Zimmermen
« Reply #2315: November 29, 2012, 11:40:34 PM »
Keep in mind Greinke's not-so-secret hesitance to sign in a big market

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #2316: November 29, 2012, 11:47:52 PM »
Why?  It's not like they have a ton of money committed after 2015.  There are probably good reasons Greinke won't be a National but I don't think financial flexibility is one of them.

What reasons are you thinking of?  All I can see is that he sat down with Nats brass two years ago, discussed a trade with a lucrative extension, liked the FO of the Nats but nixed the trade figuring the Brewers were closer to winning it all.  They were, and he also threw out a statement saying that the trade would have probably given up so much that if he went there the Nats would have many holes that would prevent them from competing.  He left the door open to return as a FA.

I think the Nats are better equipped all around then the Dodgers or Angels are.  Kemp is a beast, but Ethier can't hit lefties, who knows if Crawford can stay healthy, Hanley is Hanley not 2007 Hanley, they have no 3B and A-Gone didn't exactly have a superstar year.  Pitching wise they have Kershaw and nothing else in the rotation, bullpen has Jansen and League with not much else.  Bench isn't good.  Catcher could use an upgrade.

Angels have Trout, Pujols, Trumbo, Morales, Aybar and Kendrick.  Can Bourjos reproduce his 2011 numbers?  Is the other OF really going to be Vernon Wells?  Pitching is thin now with only Weaver and Wilson being notable.  Santana is gone and Haren is probably gone too, leaving Jerome Williams as the only other guy.  Even if they sign Dempster, does that really put them over the edge?  Callaspo is not great at 3B and catchers have always been blah for them.  Bench is light as well.  Bullpen is probably just alright.

Sorry for the lengthy post but if I was Greinke and the teams bidding on me were the Nats, Dodgers, Angels and Rangers, I would say that the two LA teams would need to go way over whatever the Nats and Rangers would offer in order to sign me.  Rangers also have other needs other than pitching which may make spending harder for them.

Case and point, I agree that money shouldn't be the issue.  I see the Nats (well duh I'm biased) as being the best destination for Greinke if he wants to go to a definite contender (Nats were the only team to make the "real" playoffs last year).

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #2317: November 29, 2012, 11:57:40 PM »
I myself would love for us to snag Lohse.  He is a contact pitcher which would make us an appealing destinationto him with our fantastic defense and stellar team. 

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #2318: November 30, 2012, 12:02:48 AM »
I myself would love for us to snag Lohse.  He is a contact pitcher which would make us an appealing destinationto him with our fantastic defense and stellar team.

If he could be had for two years, I'd like him. But someone is going to give him 4/52.
I want Dan Haren. Two years should snag him, and it seems he'll be along the same price as Edwin Jackson was last year. They just have to lure him away from the west coast.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #2319: November 30, 2012, 12:10:21 AM »
If he could be had for two years, I'd like him. But someone is going to give him 4/52.
I want Dan Haren. Two years should snag him, and it seems he'll be along the same price as Edwin Jackson was last year. They just have to lure him away from the west coast.

I'd be willing to go 4/52 on lohse

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #2320: November 30, 2012, 12:19:14 AM »
I'd be willing to go 4/52 on lohse

On a 34 year old pitcher who was thoroughly average for 10 years and then cut down on his walks and had two lucky years as a sinkerballer? Have fun.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #2321: November 30, 2012, 12:20:33 AM »
yeah, no to lohse ...

go greinke.

or maybe a dude like anibal sanchez or trade morse/someone for shields. 

Offline cletusvandamme

« Reply #2322: November 30, 2012, 12:46:01 AM »
I'm not so sure Rizzo is going big anymore. I think the only way we're in the discussion for Greinke is if Lerner goes Ilitch, and that isn't happening. But if I was a muti-billionaire and could pretty much guarantee WS appearances with one move, I'd make it. That's just me.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #2323: November 30, 2012, 07:38:04 AM »

This.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2324: November 30, 2012, 07:51:16 AM »
Greinke is in play if angelos folds on the masn deal other wise,  we're bringing a knife to a gun fight bidding against the la teams