Author Topic: Can we step back from the ledge, please?  (Read 12958 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Can we step back from the ledge, please?
« Reply #225: September 17, 2012, 01:20:08 PM »
I admit that I'll feel much better if the Braves lose tonight.
This +1. Will fill even more dread if they win though :?

Wade LeBlanc vs Tim Hudson doesn't inspire much confidence. :( At least LeBlanc is a lefty

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #226: September 17, 2012, 01:26:28 PM »
There has been a LOT of uneven baseball this month by a lot of teams.

I think most of the current playoff contenders have been swept this month at some point.

Most recent series sweeps against current divisional and wild-card leaders (all 3-match series except as noted):

Orioles - 26th-27th June vs Angels (2-match series)*
Rangers - 3rd-5th July at White Sox
Giants - 27th-29th July vs Dodgers
Reds - 6th-8th August at Brewers
Yankees - 20th-22nd August at White Sox
White Sox - 31st August-2nd September at Tigers
Athletics - 3rd-5th September at Angels
Braves - 10th-12th September at Brewers
Cardinals - 10th-12th September at Padres
Nationals - 14th-16th September at Braves

*most recent time they were swept in 3-match series was 18th-20th June at Mets

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #227: September 17, 2012, 01:37:36 PM »
agreed.  we'll get back on track this week.  we split the road trip and we're 5.5 up coming home, the same lead we held when we hit the road.  we'll be fine.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #228: September 17, 2012, 01:43:11 PM »
And we could be 1.5 games closer to clinching that :shrug:

It was a junkpunch of a series and while we are not 100 win world beaters, the best record in baseball and winning the season series has to bring a small smile even if it is a slightly forced one. Hopefully the Nationals put the Braves out of our misery soon.

We really need to replace those chops with hung heads and tears.

Offline RL04

« Reply #229: September 17, 2012, 02:01:41 PM »
Honestly, I couldn't stomach to watch (the chop).    I really dislike the whole Braves' thing  ...  top to bottom.   

Though the poster is apparently a Steelers fan, I find it hilariously hypocritical that the vast majority of Braves tomahawk haters here also happen to be huge fanboys for a team that uses the exact same type of logo imagery.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #230: September 17, 2012, 02:17:07 PM »

Though the poster is apparently a Steelers fan, I find it hilariously hypocritical that the vast majority of Braves tomahawk haters here also happen to be huge fanboys for a team that uses the exact same type of logo imagery.

If Redskin fans (and I'm one of them) ever did the Tomahawk Chop at a football game, I may have to actually renounce my fandom.

I think the point is that the chant is incredibly annoying (and not even theirs because they stole it from FSU)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #231: September 17, 2012, 02:18:31 PM »
That's bullcrap. The Braves didn't play that poorly in Milwaukee. They just ran into a really hot team playing at home. The Braves' pitching has been superior to ours'. Rotation and bullpen.

LOL

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #232: September 17, 2012, 02:19:49 PM »
Hell, if we take 2-of-3 from the Dodgers I'll be declaring us the 2012 World Series champs.  Maybe it's not the Nats who can't handle this playoff push, it's me.  :lol:

I think we're all feeling it ... no shame in that

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #233: September 17, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »

Though the poster is apparently a Steelers fan, .

There's a freakin' genius.

May be a few years older than you and drafted.   It's really a Ted Turner and his wife thing.    Google it.   If you're going to blow smoke up somebody's ass at least use the direct quote and don't "edit" it.

"Honestly, I couldn't stomach to watch it.    I really dislike the whole Braves' thing  ...  top to bottom."   

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #234: September 17, 2012, 04:40:50 PM »
I was wondering about veteran post-season presence.  Both the Braves and Nats are young teams, and last I checked, the Braves have TWO players with WS rings and the Nats have 3.

Chipper Jones - 1995
Chad Durbin - 2008

Jayson Werth - 2008
Mark DeRosa - 2010
Edwin Jackson - 2011

Am I missing anyone?  I know that the Braves have more guys who have been to the postseason with Hinske, Diaz, Heyward, Venters, Kimbrel, Moylan, Beachy, Martinez, McCann, Ross, Hudson, and Hanson plus the other two previously mentioned.  Nats have the three mentioned before, Adam LaRoche(I think in 2005) and Michael Gonzalez.

Then again Nats have Davey who has a ring.  Braves have Fredi who is best known for managing a team that fell apart.

hinske won a ring in 2007 and 2009.  That was part of his Ron Jeremy fat old guy who gets lucky a lot stretch.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #235: September 17, 2012, 04:49:20 PM »
Lombo will replace Espi and do just fine. I'm glad Danny is getting some attention to the shoulder...couldn't understand why he stopped hitting. Here, I had thought Espinosa a hopeless hitter bound to set a strikeout record, and then he perks up and I say, "I was wrong", and then he reverts. Makes more sense now. Lombo is good.

Morse is out for a while. Let him heal. Nothing wrong with Bernadina and Moore, and Brown off the bench.

It takes more than loyalty to be a Nats fan: it takes raw courage. (Jim Hartley, more or less.). This is the time.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #236: September 17, 2012, 06:53:15 PM »

Online Slateman

« Reply #237: September 17, 2012, 06:53:52 PM »
hinske won a ring in 2007 and 2009.  That was part of his Ron Jeremy fat old guy who gets lucky a lot stretch.

Yea, but there's a big reason Ron Jeremy got lucky so much ...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #238: September 17, 2012, 07:27:21 PM »

Offline jhuterp

« Reply #239: September 17, 2012, 07:32:41 PM »
I admit that I'll feel much better if the Braves lose tonight.

Probably not going to happen.  Braves up 4-0 in the first....The lead will be down to 5 even after tonight.  F-ing Marlins.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #240: September 17, 2012, 07:34:44 PM »
:panic:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #241: September 17, 2012, 07:38:39 PM »
we're going to get rained out tomorrow too.

Offline jhuterp

« Reply #242: September 17, 2012, 08:26:55 PM »
Marlins put up 4, 6-4 Braves, but looking a little better.  Hudson is getting hit hard.

FWIW, it's the free game on MLB.tv tonight.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #243: September 18, 2012, 08:22:58 AM »
we're going to get rained out tomorrow too.

Weather.com has 80% chance of rain through tonight's match, dropping to 70% at 22.00...for the three hours prior to first pitch they see 'strong storms'.

Sort of reminiscent of just about exactly a year ago when we hosted the Dodgers and the weather really played hob....

Online Slateman

« Reply #244: September 18, 2012, 08:39:59 AM »
Rain out would be good for the boys

Online Slateman

« Reply #245: September 18, 2012, 08:40:09 AM »

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #246: September 18, 2012, 09:08:38 AM »
Weather.com has 80% chance of rain through tonight's match, dropping to 70% at 22.00...for the three hours prior to first pitch they see 'strong storms'.

Sort of reminiscent of just about exactly a year ago when we hosted the Dodgers and the weather really played hob....
what a nightmare :hang: We are going to lose the division without even getting to play a game. Braves will tack on another win tonight while we get rained out. Lead will be cut to 4.5 games. :hang: Double headers are almost always a split so this will cost us a chance at winning one game.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #247: September 18, 2012, 09:56:25 AM »
what a nightmare :hang: We are going to lose the division without even getting to play a game. Braves will tack on another win tonight while we get rained out. Lead will be cut to 4.5 games. :hang: Double headers are almost always a split so this will cost us a chance at winning one game.

How are we going to lose the division without playing a game?

This was your exact post after the Nats blew that big lead against Atlanta, then after the Nats were swept in Philly, then after the Nats dropped 2 to the Marlins, etc. etc. You've been banging this doomsday drum about the Nats coughing up the division all year and it hasn't happened. It hasn't been close to happening. The Braves have been chasing the Nats since APRIL

Don't you ever get tired of the lowest common denominator?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #248: September 18, 2012, 09:59:30 AM »
A sloppy wet mess of a game would probably work to our advantage...after all, the Dodgers are accustomed to the arid confines of that crip-infested hillside barrio they call a stadium.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #249: September 18, 2012, 10:11:02 AM »
A sloppy wet mess of a game would probably work to our advantage...after all, the Dodgers are accustomed to the arid confines of that crip-infested hillside barrio they call a stadium.
This is the Nats you are talking about though, they wilt whenever it rains :? remember the 9 run blown lead vs Atlanta