Author Topic: Astros to wear Colt .45 uniforms, MLB makes them remove the Colt. 45  (Read 4233 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
This is bullcrap, MDS get in here.

From 1962-1964 the team we now know as the Houston Astros were called the Houston Colt .45s. During those three seasons the team went 196-288 and finished no higher than 8th in the National League standings. In 1965 the Colt .45s moved into the newly build Houston Astrodome and were renamed the Astros. The franchise will be celebrating its 50th anniversary this year and different throwback uniforms will be worn throughout the season. Among them will be the uniform worn by the Colt .45s, but one prominent part of the jersey will not be present.

The Astros have decided to make a significant tweak to the Colt .45s jersey design. They’re removing the smoking handgun.

Astros fan James Crabtree is so upset about this that he sent a letter this week to the team and to MLB commissioner Bud Selig. He received a response from Mike Acosta, the Astros’ authentication manager, who told him, “During our discussion with Major League Baseball, it was expressed to us that we could wear the uniform as long as the pistol was removed. We realize this changes the original design, but we still want to honor the Colt .45s. We are also under an obligation to follow Major League Baseball’s requests.”

The Astros will wear the revamped, gunless version of the original jersey to honor the franchise’s original team name (as they should) but hearing what those who played for the team during those three years would be interesting. 2012 is a very different time than 1963 and prominently displaying a gun on the front of a jersey wouldn’t fly now, as evidence by MLB’s request. But the teams that took the field from 1962-1964 did wear them and the uniform is a part of the team’s history.

http://losthatsportsblog.com/2012/02/houston-astros-remove-gun-from-throwback-uniform-for-50th-anniversary-celebration/

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=7586668

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
What a load of dung.  I'll be sure to fly to Houston and the Juice Box strapped with two Colt 45s to show my support.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Gonna call 'em "The Wizards"

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Is MLB also going to stop taking ads from movie companies that want to show violent action trailers during the playoffs and nationally televised games?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Is MLB also going to stop taking ads from movie companies that want to show violent action trailers during the playoffs and nationally televised games?

Or beer companies...

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!

Maybe the Colts should play the Bullets in a "Turn back the clock" exhibition basketball game!

Offline BerkeleyNat

Political correctness run amock!  :crazy:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
total and complete garbage

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.

Offline Coladar

Maybe the Colts should play the Bullets in a "Turn back the clock" exhibition basketball game!

... How you missed making this movie reference, I can't imagine. It'll be an exhibition Baseketball game, ala the South Park guys.

Offline NatsFanSince2005

i'm also an Astros fan, as I was born in Texas and lived in Houston until I was 13. I grew up going to Astros games at the Astrodome when Biggio and Bagwell were still young in their careers.
Anyways, this is F'ing retarded. This is as pointless to "end violence" as renaming the Washington Bullets to the Washington Wizards because of the "crime problems plaguing DC". Yes, the NBA team the Bullets were the main reason for the DC violence and crime.
I didn't know the MLB had a liberal stance on gun control. That's one of the few issues i'm conservative about. Guns save lives and criminals will obtain them when no one else has them.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Why on Earth would anyone be concerned about guns in Texas around 1963 (outside Dallas)?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
They have another excuse they can hide behind if the criticism continues - Colt (still using the typeface on the shirt front) is still a registered trademark for firearms (http://www.colt.com/) and sports leagues can get a bit leery of using those (especially since they can get rather anal about the leagues' own trademarks).

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Irsay needs to sue the MLB :twisted:

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
                   :razz:

Offline hammondsnats

should be $4 $40 night!

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
@Buster_ESPN

Good call by MLB in now allowing the pistol to be put back on the Colt .45 uniforms...

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
SHOOT OUT THE LIGHTS!!!!